IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe?

6 hours ago, DarkLord said:

So the author(s) didn't take advantage of what the ST could really do eh?

Heard that story way too many times...  :(

Its pretty bad, can't even run in 1 vbl. It actually improves if you switch Hatari to 16mhz.

Edited by prog99

On 6/28/2022 at 5:01 AM, TGB1718 said:

Considering it's on an ST it's pretty much rubbish, I'm sure the old 8 bit could look and run the same. ?

Really ? So, generally all  who bought ST for gaming made stupid move. Should stick to XL family ...

This thread is really poor. Asking about how good is some game in 2022, when there are ways of testing it self without spending money, waiting for delivery. No to mention YouTube videos . All it can do in half hour max.

And instead real answers about ST port quality of game we have bashing of ST .  How many games run in 1 vbl actually ?

• Like 2

The way people are bashing this game, you would think it's the worst game ever.

You have to remember this was in the early years of the machine and although there were better games about, it's not that bad.

If I had to nitpick, I would say the sounds are a bit annoying, but I can turn the volume down and play some music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Really ? So, generally all  who bought ST for gaming made stupid move. Should stick to XL family ...

This thread is really poor. Asking about how good is some game in 2022, when there are ways of testing it self without spending money, waiting for delivery. No to mention YouTube videos . All it can do in half hour max.

And instead real answers about ST port quality of game we have bashing of ST .  How many games run in 1 vbl actually ?

With the small number of sprites in the screen , plus no backgrounds to restore I’d say this one should easily have managed it. There were some quality titles around on 1987.

• Like 2

410182288_ScreenShot2022-06-30at7_41_56AM.thumb.png.a46df6451a31ed09bf2f5d31f3125754.png

1987 or not... this looks very much like some kids' bedroom-made public domain or shareware game from any era. Send $1 and a blank disk, and we'll send you back ST Asteroids "Deluxe".  ?

What's 'poor' here is the decision to go a different route and take liberties with the design, which turned it into something that hardly resembles what could/should have been an effort in authenticity.  

Oh well, as mentioned above... always have your trusty A8 Asteroids or better yet, one of the 7800 versions: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ttasg7ssYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6E5Ojh6I4

• Like 3

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

410182288_ScreenShot2022-06-30at7_41_56AM.thumb.png.a46df6451a31ed09bf2f5d31f3125754.png

1987 or not... this looks very much like some kids' bedroom-made public domain or shareware game from any era. Send $1 and a blank disk, and we'll send you back ST Asteroids "Deluxe".  ?

What's 'poor' here is the decision to go a different route and take liberties with the design, which turned it into something that hardly resembles what could/should have been an effort in authenticity.  

Oh well, as mentioned above... always have your trusty A8 Asteroids or better yet, one of the 7800 versions: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ttasg7ssYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6E5Ojh6I4

I agree,  the ST has a bunch of shareware asteroids clones with enhanced graphics, some of them were pretty good.   So the only thing the "official" one could do to stand out would be to replicate the arcade version as much as possible.

I see why people are saying Asteroids Deluxe on ST looks naff/wrong. It looks like a port of the Atari 7800 game (which I quite liked playing when I checked it out last summer).

Would be nice if they did a monochrome or medium res version of the original. I can understand why you would try something different with the 7800 but it seems wrong not to use the lovely 640x400 screen to bring back the classic (with software sample playback).

To be fair I haven't seen a 640x400 resolution Amiga Asteroids clone. There are loads of early arcades that never got a pixel perfect conversion to ST/Amiga. Commando is rare.

Time too go hunting for other Asteroids type games on the ST. 

Edited by oky2000
typo
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, prog99 said:

I checked out Atarimania and found that just after I was on here last, recognise the screenshots :) Not had a chance to play any games since then but it was marked as mono/colour on there too.

I remember when I took my ST back to Compumart (loose TOS chip problem) they gave me a whole load of stuff like a newer version of Neochrome and Megaroids too. That's really the only Asteroids game I ever had on the ST back then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oky2000 said:

I remember when I took my ST back to Compumart (loose TOS chip problem) they gave me a whole load of stuff like a newer version of Neochrome and Megaroids too. That's really the only Asteroids game I ever had on the ST back then.

I have four shareware ones on the ST

Asteroids by Sinister Development

grab0003.thumb.png.af525fd542dec2c96c0eacd0a9826f93.png

Megaroids

grab0004.thumb.png.c3c44674a9e4a36ebe65e7d1408fde6e.png

Rayoids

grab0002.thumb.png.fe809ab4208adf2af490979d6f11df8c.png

And Asteroidia

asteroidia_munsie_6.png.2a2c3d730b25c883e90a3bbad646362f.png

• Like 4

That's why I only play the PD/Shareware versions of those classic games, they not only have improved graphics but better gameplay as well.

The ST (and Amiga) have always had bad commercial arcade ports anyway...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:31 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I think he means that it could and should have been much better on the ST, not bashing the ST. 
I have played it from your conversion and I like it. It could have been better, but as it is, it's pretty good.  It's one of the few ST games that looks like will be on the 50 Year Anniversary collection. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, DarkLord said:

So the author(s) didn't take advantage of what the ST could really do eh?

Not sure exactly what you mean there. I see it two ways. Take advantage of the ST's capabilities to do an arcade-perfect port. Or take advantage of the ST's capabilities to do an enhanced remake, flashier graphics & sound. More levels. That sort of thing.

I would prefer an arcade-perfect, b/w port. But I don't think that was a goal back then, there are few ports across all platforms that are like that. The trend was toward those public-domain look-alikes. Arcade accuracy didn't become a thing till after MAME got rolling. And then there was little need to do native ports.

It's not that the arcade is perfect and godlike, but it is the reference standard. It is where the game was first seen.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:01 AM, TGB1718 said:

Considering it's on an ST it's pretty much rubbish, I'm sure the old 8 bit could look and run the same. ?

It could. There's that Asteroids emulator that runs on the 130XE, it's a real emulator and runs the real arcade code. And captures the games mechanics form the arcade exactly. Make sense?

On 7/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, oky2000 said:

To be fair I haven't seen a 640x400 resolution Amiga Asteroids clone. There are loads of early arcades that never got a pixel perfect conversion to ST/Amiga. Commando is rare.

It was time consuming to make a near-pixel-perfect conversion. And they just wanted to get their games out there as fast as possible. While they were still relevant. They had to. They couldn't let things bake for years like MAME does.

16-bit architecture also encouraged the use of a lot of colorful sprites and movable objects. None of that automagically translates into a good game.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:59 AM, save2600 said:

It does. These sorts of things were a real turn-off for me trying to bring the arcade experience home on 16-bit rigs. I was happier with 2600 ports, but just didn't know it at the time. They felt real and passed the test of time compared to these schloky efforts.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:59 AM, save2600 said:

Efforts in authenticity are, well, full of effort. Time consuming and tedious. A lot of refinement goes into it. It's easy to spot problems with what's supposed to be a 1:1 arcade:home port. Not so easy to spot issues with remakes that take plenty of liberty with gameplay and accuracy and all that. Because for all we know & care, that's the way the remake is supposed to be.

The thing many people forget about Atari's own ST ports is that they "were" taking advantage of the ST's (better than 8-bit) graphical abilities with 16 on screen colors & 320x200 resolution.

It's just that the gameplay didn't match the "improved" graphics...