IGNORED

Installing a 7800 in a 2800/Sears Video Arcade II case

Gunstar

Has anyone ever done this? Or will I be the first?

After first seeing a Sears Video Arcade II system in college at a friends home, already a long time owner of an NTSC 7800, I instantly fell in love with the case styling of the SVA2/2800 and the large console buttons on top with LED lights and the translucent red plastic strips. I have lamented ever since to Atari not making the 7800 closer to this aesthetic and more ergonomic buttons. And for a long time I had planned, years ago, to get a SVA2 and transplant my 7800 in it.

Well I sold my 7800 off about 15 years ago, but last year re-aquired a PAL 7800 because I prefer it's brushed metal plate design over the NTSC 7800. I've customized and modded it to appeal to my aesthetic sensibility even more. But I recently acquired a non-working Sears VA2 for just the purpose of a transplant in mind (or should I say mind transplant???) with a 7800 But I like my custom PAL 7800 so I've also purchased a working 7800 mobo, less case and everything else to make my 2800-7800 aspirations finally come true.

Of course I will actually only be using the top half of the SVA2 case as transplanting the 7800 board into the bottom of a SVA2 case is an entirely different can of worms that is not necessary, a 7800 bottom works better and no modding needed. So I'll be looking to source a 7800 case for my project now, as long as everything is intact, not including the metal plate as it will be discarded anyway, so I'd actually like to find one with that plate in poor condition but the rest salvageable with a good cleaning and buffing. so I don't have to destroy a perfectly good 7800 case.  I have already verified that SVA2 case top will perfectly match and seat in the 7800 bottom, once I shorten a couple support tabs for the console buttons on the bottom side of the SVA2 case. I will be repairing and cleaning the SVA2 motherboard and it's bottom case still, as I intend to also use the top half of the 7800 case and make my own custom plate and console buttons for it and have two unique and custom systems, and not be turning one into a salvage-only parts machine.

Of course there is much more involved with changing even just the top half of the case as I will have to do some modifications to 7800 mobo, moving button contacts and switches to be rewired and mounted were the SVA2 console keys are at. And since I won't be needing to switch between joystick and paddle with the 7800, those buttons will become the Power and Pause buttons, and of course the Pause button will get an LED to show it's activated, just because. The front panel difficulty switches will remain, but I will disconnect them and they will either end up as dummy switches or I'll make use with them for some other purpose, I can already think of one or two....woe dude that's excellent! Because there are two switches!(as I act like Bill&Ted from the movies) and I'll rewire for the console buttons.

20220628_131453.thumb.jpg.c34610fb7badfc97a29069abb4d57008.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

There is one difference in the case shells that you either have to modify on the top shell or simple not bother with. The center boss post on the front edge between the two isn't in the same place. It is slightly off set on the 2800/SVA II console. Another issue might be clearance. See if you pay attention to the 2800/SVA II setup, you will find that the main board sits more level and flush in the 2800 case than it does in the 7800 I believe? Also were you planning to somehow repurpose the buttons on the top shell of the 2800 in some way? What about the indicator LEDs? Were you planning to move all the 7800 switch functions to a PCB that you mount everything to so the buttons on the top still work?

I'm more curious than anything here given what I know about the differences between the two systems is all. And the bottom shells are actually much more alike than you might realize. The only real difference is the holes for the slider switches being filled in on the 7800 case in addition the center front boss post being in a different position like I mentioned earlier. But on many 7800 shells you can still see the molding marks where those slider switch holes used to be. It is also why the notch on the right side of the lower case shell is still there on the 7800. I'm assuming Atari was planning to have the RF cable attached to the mainboard similar to the 2800/SVA II before deciding to move to the external RF RCA jack instead. Either that of they literally designed the 7800 mainboard with the notch etc...just so they wouldn't have to create new molds for the bottom shell.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

There is one difference in the case shells that you either have to modify on the top shell or simple not bother with. The center boss post on the front edge between the two isn't in the same place. It is slightly off set on the 2800/SVA II console. Another issue might be clearance. See if you pay attention to the 2800/SVA II setup, you will find that the main board sits more level and flush in the 2800 case than it does in the 7800 I believe? Also were you planning to somehow repurpose the buttons on the top shell of the 2800 in some way? What about the indicator LEDs? Were you planning to move all the 7800 switch functions to a PCB that you mount everything to so the buttons on the top still work?

I'm more curious than anything here given what I know about the differences between the two systems is all. And the bottom shells are actually much more alike than you might realize. The only real difference is the holes for the slider switches being filled in on the 7800 case in addition the center front boss post being in a different position like I mentioned earlier. But on many 7800 shells you can still see the molding marks where those slider switch holes used to be. It is also why the notch on the right side of the lower case shell is still there on the 7800. I'm assuming Atari was planning to have the RF cable attached to the mainboard similar to the 2800/SVA II before deciding to move to the external RF RCA jack instead. Either that of they literally designed the 7800 mainboard with the notch etc...just so they wouldn't have to create new molds for the bottom shell.

My entire second paragraph in the first post answers all the questions you just posted here in your first paragraph...did you stop reading and reply after my first paragraph?!?:ponder: Or just read the title and reply?!?:?

Any way, I'll be starting a blog with lots of pictures showing each step with full written explanations like I in all my blogs, and I will modify what I have to to make each top case fit and work properly with the other motherboard. both motherboards will remain in their own bottom case halves so no modifications to make boards fit and cutting or plugging case holes will be needed. The top half cases will be the ones with hacking and modding done, just what is necessary to work with the other motherboards and seat properly with the bottom half cases.  though it may not get finished up for a while after the actual project is done, pretty much like all my other blogs on restorations and upgrade/mod/customizations.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd post an update, so as to not just leave this thread hanging.

After successfully restoring the VA2 to close to mint condition externally, and excellent condition internally and have a working machine after replacing an Oscillator crystal with a broken "leg," I just can't bring myself to use this particular VA2 as parts to make a custom 7800. I've decided to keep it original. I will continue to watch for that rare VA2 that has serious damage, etc., but somehow the top case half remains salvageable so that I can eventually give a 7800 a VA2/2800  top case aesthetic and create a new badge for it just like the one on the 2800, but that is marked 7800. 

At least this gave me the chance to look over a VA2 next to my 7800 console (not the one that was to be customized) and realize that all I need to complete my dream 7800 successfully is just the top half case of a 2800 or Sears Video Arcade II.

If you want to see my Sears VA2 fully restored with some before, during and after photos, I have a blog up now for it in my profile. It is not a finished blog with a full walk-thru of the process, just a couple paragraphs and a bunch of pictures that do not yet have descriptions and detailed procedures. But as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I love the look of the Sears Video Arcade II and I really like the controllers too.

Always liked the look of the PAL 7800, as well.?

DF8EB439-BB14-4CDE-8ACA-4B9B2209D6A1.jpeg

I forgot to tell you before that you have a beautiful machine there, and mine looks the same now too. Though I don't have a manual or other collectibles that go with it...I don't even have any Tele-games carts, just Atari branded ones...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I forgot to tell you before that you have a beautiful machine there, and mine looks the same now too. Though I don't have a manual or other collectibles that go with it...I don't even have any Tele-games carts, just Atari branded ones...

Thank you. I was lucky with this purchase. Didn’t cost me much and it’s hardly been used. My favorite game (arcade or home console) is Asteroids, so I had to get the Tele-Games version.  I also have Bump ‘n’ Jump.

Good luck with your Sears Video Arcade. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Or... if you bought one of those Brazilian NES clones with the "7800" case, you quite possibly could be the first person to transplant a real 7800 mobo into that 7800-ish case. A plus would be it has dust cover doors over its cartridge slot... 

5 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Or... if you bought one of those Brazilian NES clones with the "7800" case, you quite possibly could be the first person to transplant a real 7800 mobo into that 7800-ish case. A plus would be it has dust cover doors over its cartridge slot... 

Ha, I had one of those for a while! Is not a terrible idea at all but the Phantom has no Select or Reset buttons on the right hand side of it's case (MAYBE could be added without making it look crappy but it'd be risky), and the slot is actually a fairly tightish fit on their NES style carts if I recall right...I'm not sure a 7800 cart would actually fit. It'd be tight, in any case!

Wish someone would get the mold to the Nolan Bushnell signature cases, and start mass producing them! Or maybe Bob D. makes it back to his 7800 Junior design....I'd prefer that over all options honestly!

• Like 1