IGNORED

AppleColor Composite Monitor A2M6021

Sean Bruno

I've started work on a sickly A2M6021 CRT monitor.  It seems to be in decent shape (from an elementary school auction) with some analog issues.  The vertical retrace seems to not be returning to the very top of screen nor making it to the bottom.  I haven't been able to hunt down the schematics or SAMS for this CRT.  Does anyone have a copy that they can share?

If not, does anyone have a starting point or a hint for this type of failure?  (obviously, I'm using all ESD discharge and safety here, I have some training on tubes and high voltage)

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPEG

IMG_0575.JPEG

This a screen shot from the 8-bitguy vid:

R776.thumb.png.4818e844758d4fcaeaeeeaf075a8775d.png

It look like its glass with no bands. :(

This is the only service manual I can find with any kind of info:

https://archive.org/details/Apple_Service_Technical_Procedures_Apple_II_Family_Volume_Two_1992-03_Apple_PN_072-0229/page/n281/mode/2up?q=R741

Its implying that the IIc color monitor might has the same internals. But no wiring schematic.

Let me check my pile of parts to see if anything matches.

Unfortunately I have never found any schematics for the various IIe/c color monitors. Making things worse, they used two different chassis, as noted in the tech manual - S series and H series. My guess is Samsung or Hitachi as the manufacturer. 

I recapped my 6021 back in March. I checked my photos and I see the same. No real marking except a red band. If I can, I'll see if I have a chance to open and check mine. Probably in circuit though, don't think I'll have time to properly desolder one leg and check out (if I have a chance to check at all). So that may not be overly helpful if it's in circuit. 

11B52DBB-3AA5-48C2-B910-DE8640CB11D6.png

Edited by nick3092

I just opened my 6021 and measured R741 in circuit. I'm also seeing about 2.3 to 2.5 ohms. As my in circuit reading is the same as yours out of circuit, it's probably safe to say that's it. It wouldn't be easy for me to desolder one leg to check out of circuit without pulling the board anyway. 

Edited by nick3092

11 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

I just opened my 6021 and measured R741 in circuit. I'm also seeing about 2.3 to 2.5 ohms. As my in circuit reading is the same as yours out of circuit, it's probably safe to say that's it. It wouldn't be easy for me to desolder one leg to check out of circuit without pulling the board anyway. 

Thank you for eyeballing it.  At least I can move onto trying to do more than just visual diags now. 

• 2 months later...

He posted a picture of the monitor with Oregon Trail in it, so safe to say he fixed it.

One of my monitors was a bit stubborn to open. I open mine with the crt facing down, protecting the screen with some kind of super soft material. I had to apply downward pressure on the back plate with the adjustment knobs while pulling upon the case itself. That backplate is part of the tray and stays with the chassis when the cover is off.