IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

• 2 weeks later...

It appears November 8 is the release date of the game on Best Buy’s site. 

Features

Airworld

Yes, the team at Digital Eclipse created the fourth chapter of the never finished Swordquest series: Airworld.

Haunted House

A modern 3D isometric adventure based on the classic original.

Vctr Sctr

A celebration of the vector era of gaming which combines gameplay from a variety of vector arcade classics into a single challenge.

Neo Breakout

An amazing and addictive two player competition that combines the best parts of Breakout and Pong.

Yars Revenge Reimagined

Modern graphics the best-selling first-party Atari 2600 game of all time.

Edited by SizzleAtari
  • Thanks 1

I'm liking the looks of the new collection, but I haven't got any of the Flashback collections. So that makes it a little more appealing. I like thebidea of having the arcade games to go on the Switch.

Maybe they will have a short documentary about what the high score of Pong is.....

• Haha 2

So, looking at the list this is what I see as never-before-released in this collection, not including the new titles for the release:

ArcadeL

Akka Arrh
Cloak & Dagger
I, Robot
Maze Invaders(? - will need to double check, might be in the Vault/2)
Sprint 8

#    Game Title    Platform
1    Bounty Bob Strikes Back!    800
2    Caverns of Mars    800
3    Food Fight    800
4    Miner 2049er    800

Atari 2600:

Miner 2049er
Race 500 (had to lose "Indy" I guess)

Atari 5200:

Bounty Bob Strikes Back!

1    Touch Me    Handheld

1    Atari Karts    Jaguar
2    Club Drive    Jaguar
3    Cybermorph    Jaguar
4    Evolution Dino Dudes    Jaguar
5    Fight For Life    Jaguar
6    Missile Command 3D    Jaguar
7    Ruiner Pinball    Jaguar
8    Tempest 2000    Jaguar
9    Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy    Jaguar

1    Basketbrawl    Lynx
2    Malibu Bikini Volleyball    Lynx
3    Scrapyard Dog    Lynx
4    Super Asteroids & Missile Command    Lynx
5    Turbo Sub    Lynx
6    Warbirds    Lynx

Oh, and I forget since these have been released on the new VCS and Antstream Arcade for most of the past year, these are technically new to Atari compilations, right? 

# Game Title Platform
1 Asteroids 7800
2 Basketbrawl 7800
3 Centipede 7800
4 Dark Chambers 7800
5 Fatal Run 7800
6 Ninja Golf 7800
7 Scrapyard Dog 7800

3 hours ago, stirrell said:

Interesting that Yoomp! for the 8-bit is not on the list. It is definitely in the 50th Anniversary Collection trailer:

1155527864_CleanShot2022-09-12at14_58_46.thumb.png.ee090e2cf2f446e0919728e960d45f3d.png

See, this is why I'm suspicious of the game list -- which, again, is less an "official list" and more "a retailer in the Netherlands posted it."  It appears to be missing things we had already had confirmed elsewhere...

The only thing missing is Yoomp! (Spotted in the 5200 game selection menu in the trailer).

Atari 5200 Asteroids was never confirmed in any way, so I wouldn't say it has gone missing. A few seconds of the 2600/5200 commercial showing the latter were utilized in the trailer, but the same trailer shows for a split second (at approximately the 0:04 mark) the menu where the Atari 2600 lineup transitions to the 5200 lineup in the game library. We can see Warlords and Yars' Revenge for the 2600 followed by Bounty Bob Strikes Back and Millipede for the 5200. No sign of Centipede between those first two 5200 games. 

So it was extremely doubtful since day 1 and we can now infer from its seemingly now confirmed absence that it wasn't slated for inclusion for this collection when the trailer was released and that the clip from the tv commercial was used purely for artistic merit (And I bet the commercial is included in the bonus content of the collection since it also was advertising the 2600 version, which is included on this).  And lastly Asteroids Deluxe for the ST isn't present despite a trailer appearance, but Digital Eclipse confirmed no ST games within 24 hours of the unveiling of this trailer. Since we already knew that it wasn't slated for the collection, this one also isn't missing in my opinion. 

Everything else that was ever spotted in the trailer, press kit, screenshots at places like the Steam page for the game, or mentioned via social media and interviews by Digital Eclipse are in that finalized game list.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 1:39 AM, killersquirel said:

I, Robot is an awesome arcade game and I am looking forward to having it on this compilation. 

It looks like an excellent candidate for a Recharged game, a remaster, or both.

It reminds me of a Jeff Minter game from the footage I've seen.

It looks like a game the Jaguar could've handled too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really getting excited for this collection after digesting all the recent news and game list. I have now read that November 11 is the date of release...can anyone else confirm at this point? Steam still says Winter 2022. And is the price $40? That's what I am reading. 

I'm excited to some degree about I, Robot, too, never played that, but my feeling is it won't be my favorite game (however, there have been times when what I think won't turn out to be a favorite actually does become a favorite). I was hoping too that Escape From the...whatever it's called, Robot Planet, would be on the collection, but alas, it is not. 

Edited by AAA177

2 hours ago, justclaws said:

An interview with Digital Eclipse was just posted here. Interesting reading!

https://www.thexboxhub.com/exclusive-interview-as-digital-eclipse-go-deep-into-atari-50-the-anniversary-celebration/

image.thumb.png.15684cae3ce91dcd84a84a4dff2e62dc.png

Great interview, thanks for sharing this.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:39 AM, Gunther said:

It looks like an excellent candidate for a Recharged game, a remaster, or both.

It reminds me of a Jeff Minter game from the footage I've seen.

It looks like a game the Jaguar could've handled too.

It was a game Minter himself wanted to make a 2000 series of, for the Jaguar.

• Like 1