IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

2 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

Wow what a disappointment to still not have Atari 50 released on the VCS. I understand there are emergencies but the other consoles have the game. 

It's not optimal, but it will be discounted and include at least 1 additional game. If it was a VCS edition with special features,  that'd be fine. 

Having moved into my new pad, i have time to put some proper time into the collection, in terms of actually playing the games.

I'd never played the original 2600 Haunted House, which makes it hard to comment on  how true the modern remake is to the original, but I liked it. 

I had, but never got into 2600 Yars Revenge back in the day, but had a lot of fun with the new, Enhanced version. 

I've just done the first 8 worlds of Cybermorph, the nostalgia factor finally kicked in. 

Ninja Golf isn't for me. Having it seen featured so often in Retro Gamer magazine, I just expected more from it. Fighting the same, limited foes, before a limited boss fight, just no. 

Quirky it maybe, but give me Mastertronic's Ninja on A8/C64 any day. 

Basketbrawl:I tried on 7800 first, I really struggle with 7800 sound, having gone from the 2600 to the A8 then C64.. but it was the fact the camera follows the ball that got me, your busy punching an opponent, camera goes off screen to track the ball, leaving you wondering what's going on. 

The Lynx version far more playable, but extremely dissapointing, audio wise, given the power of the Lynx sound capabilities. 

But the games main flaw is that for the violent sports genre, it pales next to Speedball /Speedball 2 on systems like the C64 and Master System. 

Scrapyard Dog:Again played the 7800 version first,followed by the Lynx. 

Actually preferred the nipper feel to the 7800 version. 

But as a game, give me C64:Great Giana Sisters, Mayhem in Monster land, Nobby the Aardvark, New Zealand Story etc etc, any day. 

For myself, titles like these and Fatal Run, just highlight how Atari were lacking the cream of the development teams, compared to the other major players at the time and their attempts to offer something similar to the gameplay experiences on those systems, just fell short. 

It's also fantastic to hear so many from the industry, talk openly in the video documentary features. 

13 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

Any updates on the VCS version?

Been waiting patiently.

DE released an update today on Twitter that they are working on a few bug fixes and and still testing.  The VCS should get the game with the first update simultaneously.  Then the other platforms will get the first update after.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

DE released an update today on Twitter that they are working on a few bug fixes and and still testing.  The VCS should get the game with the first update simultaneously.  Then the other platforms will get the first update after.

There better be a haughty discount on this thing. Pretty embarrassing. 

• 2 weeks later...

They've had some issues and it was delayed.   The upside is we will get the game at a $10 discount for the first 24 hours and get an extra game included in the collection

There is someone who posts here who is an insider (or claims to be).    He says it's very close to release

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

There is someone who posts here who is an insider (or claims to be).    He says it's very close to release

Davpa is an Atari employee.  He has been a You Tuber for a number of years and is now working as their developer liaison and social media assistant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I just hope he didn't say "weeks, not months™️" 😅

Not months.  Not weeks.  We are talking days.  I can't say the release date because I have to wait for official proclamations (of which I'm waiting for too.  Any time now!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 12/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, davpa said:

Not months.  Not weeks.  We are talking days.  I can't say the release date because I have to wait for official proclamations (of which I'm waiting for too.  Any time now!)

Sounds like Santa might be bringing it down our chimneys then :)

Atari 50 is here (almost, see below)!

Porting the title took longer than we anticipated, but we believe we are ready to start rolling it out to VCS owners. As we promised when we announced the delay, it will be $10 off in the VCS store at launch. Thank you for your patience to this point.

IMPORTANT INFO: The game file is very large. You will need at least 9 GB of free space on your primary hard drive for the game to install. If you have any issues during installation, please share your experience with our Mods and Support team.

Once again, thank you for your patience. We are incredibly excited to share this amazing gaming experience with you.

-The Atari VCS Team

That was the official announcement.  Here is the clarifying statement from me: The Atari 50th Anniversary Collection will be available in the morning of Tuesday, December 20th.

• Like 4