IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

2 hours ago, davpa said:

So the VCS seems to have issues at times in downloading the Atari 50 collection.  It really seems to depend on stable internet connection.  I'll let my video explain a bit more and that might help in any troubleshooting you might need to do with your own home network.

Ha, maybe I'll move my google fiber mesh thing closer to my VCS so I can have it download through there instead of over wifi.

3 hours ago, davpa said:

So the VCS seems to have issues at times in downloading the Atari 50 collection.  It really seems to depend on stable internet connection.  I'll let my video explain a bit more and that might help in any troubleshooting you might need to do with your own home network.

I did have have a problem when I first tried to download, it got so far and bombed out, not sure if I knocked the keyboard or controller by accident.  I tried again and was sure to just leave the VCS alone.  It took a little while but downloaded fine.

Well worth the wait...  ;-)

22 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I did have have a problem when I first tried to download, it got so far and bombed out, not sure if I knocked the keyboard or controller by accident.  I tried again and was sure to just leave the VCS alone.  It took a little while but downloaded fine.

Well worth the wait...  ;-)

great, glad to hear it.  Yeah, the VCS just seems sensitive to any disruption in communications.  This Atari 50th Collection really pushed what the VCS was originally designed for.  While 4.3gb is not a big file for most modern AAA games, it is pretty big for Indie and retro inspired games.  I've been joking that I've had to grease the internet walls to shove this Collection down the WWW pipeline!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davpa said:

great, glad to hear it.  Yeah, the VCS just seems sensitive to any disruption in communications.  This Atari 50th Collection really pushed what the VCS was originally designed for.  While 4.3gb is not a big file for most modern AAA games, it is pretty big for Indie and retro inspired games.  I've been joking that I've had to grease the internet walls to shove this Collection down the WWW pipeline!

There was another rlthread here about replacing the Wifi card.  Any interesting info we can get about kernel modules for wifi support would be helpful.  A nice Wi-Fi 6 card may help some of the wonky issues people have with not being wired.  Quite possible it is a Linux incompatibility.  

I once had a laptop with a broadcom wireless card in it.  Under Windows it worked fine.  Under Linux, I could download without issue, but if I tried to stream video it would disconnect and become unstable.  Almost like it abhorred UDP traffic.

Swapped in an intel wifi card, and it ran fine.

Many different types of connections and even fully wired/cabled end to end (wireless turned off), can’t get beyond %55. Giving up for the day and will try again tomorrow.

Update - can also always tell when it is hung - during download, when working, fan kicks on and off in short bursts; when download is hung/stops, fan kicks on and doesn’t turn off

Edited by mckafka99

5 hours ago, leech said:

There was another rlthread here about replacing the Wifi card.  Any interesting info we can get about kernel modules for wifi support would be helpful.  A nice Wi-Fi 6 card may help some of the wonky issues people have with not being wired.  Quite possible it is a Linux incompatibility.  

I once had a laptop with a broadcom wireless card in it.  Under Windows it worked fine.  Under Linux, I could download without issue, but if I tried to stream video it would disconnect and become unstable.  Almost like it abhorred UDP traffic.

Swapped in an intel wifi card, and it ran fine.

I use both my VCS Onyx and VCS Classic mostly in Linux, doing massive downloads and streaming stuff - never had any problems with the wifi.  Ubuntu/Mint does need the power saving mode setting in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf to stop disconnects, I doubt that problem is present in AtariOS.

Most problems folks encounter on the VCS store in the AtariOS are probably due to server problems and occasionally user error/impatience.

It took so long that I ended up buying the Switch steel book version. I prefer playing with a D-pad (using my Famicom Switch controller to navigate the screens is funny, but the X button is key) rather than a joystick, so I  cannot justify buying it on VCS at $30, particularly if it will take up much of the remaining storage space. 

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

I use both my VCS Onyx and VCS Classic mostly in Linux, doing massive downloads and streaming stuff - never had any problems with the wifi.  Ubuntu/Mint does need the power saving mode setting in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf to stop disconnects, I doubt that problem is present in AtariOS.

Most problems folks encounter on the VCS store in the AtariOS are probably due to server problems and occasionally user error/impatience.

I have the same experience. I've used mine for PC games (through Windows) and I have definitely downloaded bigger files than Atari 50 via WiFi, with no issues. Also, Atari 50 downloaded fine for me once I was able to get into the store (that took 2 or 3 tries, but nothing major). 

• Like 1

I ran into the 'bought it but didn't show as purchased' issue. The Discord was super helpful, and Atari had the issue resolved within an hour. No issues with downloading (I am on Ethernet). Great customer service there, even if their store is a hot mess. 

The game itself is probably one of the greatest retro compilations I have played to date. Tons of historical stuff, tons of games (including some really rare shit like Akka Arrh and I Robot), a stack of new (and mostly excellent) new games along with an official Swordquest Airworld (how the hell did that happen!?) along with a very good level of attention to detail. This is the first and only retro comp where anyone took the time to add custom modern joystick controls to Star Raiders so it's perfectly playable with a modern controller. I would have bought it just for that, honestly.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Definitely not user error / impatience on my end.  I literally hit the button and walked away, came back it was still sitting with a partial progress bar.  I left it long enough that it went into sleep mode...

Were there really enough people trying to buy it all at once to cause enough of a server issue?  They still really need to have a 'cart' to be able to buy more than one game at a time...

3 hours ago, RollOut said:

I have the same experience. I've used mine for PC games (through Windows) and I have definitely downloaded bigger files than Atari 50 via WiFi, with no issues. Also, Atari 50 downloaded fine for me once I was able to get into the store (that took 2 or 3 tries, but nothing major). 

There is the potential that the Wifi card has some issues with specific kernel versions / or binary blobs (which most wireless devices have).  Anyhow, it'd be nice to be able to upgrade the wifi for me, as I now have a 2gbps fiber connection, but that would need WiFi6E.

15 hours ago, Yosikuma said:

I am having the same issue — it gets to 70% and then the fan kicks on and it eventually stops trying. I am connected right to the Ethernet port so ….

same, 70% using ethernet.    The fact that the fan kicks off indicates that the OS started doing something at that point.    Does anyone know what it's doing?   Will it eventually stop doing it and continue the download?

Yes, the new OS update was addressed to fix this issue the Atari 50 download exposed.  So the VCS has more "robust" connectivity fixes and so Atari 50, and maybe future games of a larger size, won't have the issue we experienced.

As a side note, this OS update also introduces the ability to rearrange the Home tab.  Highlight a tile, hold down the A button, and you will see you have the ability to move that tile to any where you want to place it.  So organize that Home tab to your liking.  No, no ability yet to hide unwanted tiles or making sub-folders.  One thing at a time.

• Like 5

This is a bit old news at this time of day, but the VCS has an update to its OS that will resolve the downloading issues with Atari 50.  So if you are one of many (sadly) that had issues downloading Atari 50, you should have no issues now once the update completes.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, davpa said:

This is a bit old news at this time of day, but the VCS has an update to its OS that will resolve the downloading issues with Atari 50.  So if you are one of many (sadly) that had issues downloading Atari 50, you should have no issues now once the update completes.

Excellent, did so this morning and it worked fine.  Do you happen to know what kernel AtariOS is running?

• Like 1