IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

1 hour ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that they're on the side of the screen. I actually find that more convenient since I no longer have to look down on the controller. 

I find it interesting that this package includes more Jaguar games than what's listed in their IP catalog. Either they recently acquired full ownership, or they weren't listing everything they have ownership of. 

...or they got a decent licensing deal.  I mean, Atari doesn't own Big 5 either...

This is really an exciting release, as others have said it went from "Oh, another Atari compilation?" to day 1 purchase with the Jag games. I desperately hope the emulation for the Jaguar stuff is good, both for nostalgia and for not having weird emu glitches giving people more reason to pile on the Jag... 

I can see this being one of those releases I somehow manage to end up owning on 2-3 different platforms.... even though I probably own every game on it already. ;)

Edited by Justin42
  • Like 2

The jaguar emulation will be flawless. I guarantee it.

Its already flawless for cybermorph and the others in the phoenix emu for windows. Im not sure whats wrong with people and why they have completely overlooked phoenix emu and everyone default go to is Virtual Jaguar which still struggles to this day.

Im more excited about the new games

VCTR SCTR

Neo Breakout

QuadraTanks

Swordquest Airworld

Haunted Houses

Yars Reimagined

They are also including concept art behind the scenes video interviews and other goodies for every single game. They are going above and beyond for this

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zzip said:

The official Atari site lists "Arcade, 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Lynx, and Jaguar."  but not ST.

Weird how Gameinformer lists ST but not 8-bit?

Got confirmation from Digital Eclipse there will be no ST games.
Yastuna Games sur Twitter : "@atari @RetroSabertooth No Love for ST ? :( True that most of the games where made by other publishers, so probably hard to get the rights..." / Twitter

image.png.7a5b44cec45b31481e90a29ccdfacd4e.png

Edited by Fadest

I like the timing of this and Atari Mania, as it (no I'm not comparing) more closely resembles what a company like Nintendo would do to cross-market their properties. If they did something like Atari Mania (AUG, let's say), Atari 50 (October), then closed the year with the new Food Fight game, it would put them on a nice roll with IPs they own, all being presented in a new light. If they "take" and people go for it, maybe you reimagine games like Crystal Castles or similar. But if nothing else, it's a true dip back into the modern gaming market, albeit slowly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atarick said:

I like the timing of this and Atari Mania, as it (no I'm not comparing) more closely resembles what a company like Nintendo would do to cross-market their properties. If they did something like Atari Mania (AUG, let's say), Atari 50 (October), then closed the year with the new Food Fight game, it would put them on a nice roll with IPs they own, all being presented in a new light. If they "take" and people go for it, maybe you reimagine games like Crystal Castles or similar. But if nothing else, it's a true dip back into the modern gaming market, albeit slowly.

What I like about it is it proves they are trying new things and they aren't just giving us the same old set of crap games we have gotten in soooooo many collections over the last 25-30 years. Its always Asteroids and centipede and pong or whatever. No now we get some Lynx and Jag games. Some brand new takes on old favorites. Concept art behind the scenes video interviews and backstory into the development of each game. They really are going all out here!

Its bonkers!!!!

And I love it!!!

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, DavidD said:

...or they got a decent licensing deal.  I mean, Atari doesn't own Big 5 either...

Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back are in the Atari IP catalog and have been for around a year.   They must have made a deal for the IP.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zzip said:

I also wonder what 8-bit games it will have,  and why does the ST always get shafted from these things?

That's a good question. I think more people are interested in the Jag as it has gained a bit of a cult following over the years.  Hopefully both the A8 and ST are given their due, though I have a feeling that the ST probably won't be to the degree it deserves (edit: looks like there won't be ANY games, so no), which is a shame as it was the defining computer for Atari from 1985 until the computer division was completely shuddered in 1993.  But, then again, maybe this will help open the door to A8 and ST main stream releases.  We can only wait, see, and hope at this point.

Edited by Hwlngmad
Updated information

4 hours ago, Atarick said:

They also have a new standalone Pong game that's suppose to launch this year. Curious if that or Food Fight will release a trailer this week.

57 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

That's a good question. I think more people are interested in the Jag as it has gained a bit of a cult following over the years.  Hopefully both the A8 and ST are given their due, though I have a feeling that the ST probably won't be to the degree it deserves (edit: looks like there won't be ANY games, so no), which is a shame as it was the defining computer for Atari from 1985 until the computer division was completely shuddered in 1993.  But, then again, maybe this will help open the door to A8 and ST main stream releases.  We can only wait, see, and hope at this point.

And the Jaguar is the one Atari platform that is lacking on the emulation side so it will be interesting to see what they came up with.

Sounds like for the ST the issue is Atari-owned IPs is lacking.    When I think back of what Atari released on the ST a lot of it is arcade ports some of which they probably don't have rights to anymore (Battlezone, Joust).    So if they were to release ST games, it wouldn't be anywhere close to ST's greatest hits, it would be like Crystal Castles, ST Star Raiders, Asteroids Deluxe.   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zzip said:

And the Jaguar is the one Atari platform that is lacking on the emulation side so it will be interesting to see what they came up with.

Sounds like for the ST the issue is Atari-owned IPs is lacking.    When I think back of what Atari released on the ST a lot of it is arcade ports some of which they probably don't have rights to anymore (Battlezone, Joust).    So if they were to release ST games, it wouldn't be anywhere close to ST's greatest hits, it would be like Crystal Castles, ST Star Raiders, Asteroids Deluxe.   

Indeed.  It sounds like who Atari has contracted to do this was done with getting Jaguar emulation as spot on as possible.  Hopefully good things will come out of it for sure.

Regarding the ST, hopefully something can be done that allows easy and mainstream playing of games from that platform.  Not sure if/when that will happen, but hopefully someday as the Amiga has shined quite a bit and the 'ole ST deserves some time in the sun, too.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

In the Atari 50 trailer, the Atari ST version of Asteroids Deluxe is briefly shown at the 1:00 mark (between arcade Asteroids & Tempest 2K). I'd like the see ST Crystal Castles as that one has a really cute rendition of Bently Bear. The updated visuals in ST Star Raiders looks really neat as well.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Day one pick up on VCS and Switch for me! I’m super excited to play Cybermorph on the Atari VCS, it’s going to feel weird lol really hope the emulation is all good. 

Me too. I am really hoping for a physical release of this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

In the Atari 50 trailer, the Atari ST version of Asteroids Deluxe is briefly shown at the 1:00 mark (between arcade Asteroids & Tempest 2K). I'd like the see ST Crystal Castles as that one has a really cute rendition of Bently Bear. The updated visuals in ST Star Raiders looks really neat as well.

ST version of CC is a mouse game.

• Like 1

Im glad they’re finally embracing the Jaguar. Hopefully more Jaguar games are coming, and maybe improved versions of those games. The Jaguar wasn’t much appreciated in it’s day but has gained a cult following over the years. I think now that Atari is in their renaissance phase with the VCS, people are willing to give the Jaguar, Lynx, 7800, and 5200 another look. Now is their chance to redeem themselves. 

I don't know what the situation is on the VCS in particular with physical releases, but I imagine the other consoles will at least see a wide retail release of this.

Nostalgia driven impulse buys when one sees this on the shelf, wives and kids looking for a present for dad, and so on are a big component of what their sales department is going after.

So I'd count on seeing it pop up at places like your local Walmart's electronics department later this year, just in time for Christmas shopping. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zzip said:

Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back are in the Atari IP catalog and have been for around a year.   They must have made a deal for the IP.

Interesting -- I thought I had just stumbled across the Big 5 website a few months ago, and didn't notice anything about that.

Granted, now I can't -find- that website, so...

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I don't know what the situation is on the VCS in particular with physical releases, but I imagine the other consoles will at least see a wide retail release of this.

Nostalgia driven impulse buys when one sees this on the shelf, wives and kids looking for a present for dad, and so on are a big component of what their sales department is going after.

So I'd count on seeing it pop up at places like your local Walmart's electronics department later this year, just in time for Christmas shopping. 

The VCS is digital unless you add an external DVD drive etc in PC mode so I doubt the VCS will see a physical release of this, unless of course Atari decide to put it on a USB thumb drive and allow it to boot in PC mode to launch it. I’m good with a digital purchase of this on VCS as I’m mostly excited about getting to play it on an actual Atari console anyway but will pick it up physically for one of the other platforms if it becomes available, probably Switch. 

6 hours ago, DavidD said:

Interesting -- I thought I had just stumbled across the Big 5 website a few months ago, and didn't notice anything about that.

Granted, now I can't -find- that website, so...

Yeah they had an active website for a long time.   I think they allowed free downloaded of Miner 2049 with a bundled emulator too.

I wonder if Atari's plans for the IP were just this release or if they plan to do something like a recharged version.   What's also interesting is the Amico had a new Miner 2049er game planned

Shame that Atari SA sold off their library of Infograms titles since they were available on the ST.  Anything Atari Corp themselves produced were just ports of existing arcade and 8-bit titles, and they weren't that hot to be honest...

But I'm still looking forward to Atari Origins just to see how they'll pull off Jag emulation.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, zzip said:

Besides Jaguar,  anybody else notice that it promises to contain "Swordquest Airworld"?  The one that never got released.   That sounded exciting until I remembered it's a Swordquest game ?  Still maybe they'll manage to make it fun? it's a low bar.   

I also wonder what 8-bit games it will have,  and why does the ST always get shafted from these things?

I've obsessed about the SwordQuest series for years ever since I played the 3 games on my Atari Anthology collection!  Sure the games themselves weren't that great in practice, but the history behind it as well as the story from the comic books made the whole thing quite fascinating!  Heck, I still occasionally play those 3 games simply for the nostalgia!  It helps that I still have my walkthrough guides I've created from my days in middle school!

• Like 1