IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

4 hours ago, AAA177 said:

I probably will only be able to get this on Steam. Question: Will the Steam version most likely have all the same games as the rest of them? I cannot find a game list. Thanks. 

I would imagine the Steam will be the exact same as any other version, I don’t see any reason for them to change the games around every platform will be getting the same list of games. I’m hoping however that the Atari VCS version might have some extra content along the lines of the Recharged games but time will tell. 

• Like 2

I spent some time going through that pretty pimp hype video pinpointing all of the games that will be included in this collection so far, and it looks like you can ID 40-41... there's a computer game I can't identify in one clip.

This isn't your typical nostalgic Atari cash grab... looks worth it so far. I also offer some thoughts, hopes and concerns with the collection.

https://www.atari7800forever.com/atari50.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

I spent some time going through that pretty pimp hype video pinpointing all of the games that will be included in this collection so far, and it looks like you can ID 40-41... there's a computer game I can't identify in one clip.

This isn't your typical nostalgic Atari cash grab... looks worth it so far. I also offer some thoughts, hopes and concerns with the collection.

https://www.atari7800forever.com/atari50.html

Just a note that there was a Lynx title in the trailer. They showed video of Super Missile Command.

You can also see "handheld" grayed out on the game selection menu. This is interesting because it could mean some GB, GBA or PSP games are included, in addition to Lynx.

Screenshot_20220630-133856_YouTube.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Just a note that there was a Lynx title in the trailer. They showed video of Super Missile Command.

A great game that costs 3X more (BEST Electronics) than the Atari 50 Anniversary Celebration pack.  While none of us needs Combat and some of the other titles, overall there's more than enough gameplay to justify the purchase.  A couple of the new games look pretty good too.  Can't wait to see the reviews.  I plan on adding this to my VCS800 library.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, Atariboy said:

Hopefully we'll see Cafeman's Adventure II homebrew here 

As far as I know, the game isn’t on this compilation. Nobody from Digital Eclipse ever broached the subject to me. At this point, the XE version would be the better version to put on any compilation or store anyway, as it has more content, an improved engine, and a few bug fixes.   

• Like 4

In our arguments back in the Taco and related threads about "Well, what do you think Atari should be doing then?," what the new CEO is doing with titles like this, Atari Mania, original stuff like Kombinera, etc. is great. This also seems to show that Rosen is repairing the relationships with developers that Chesnais had routinely screwed up, which is also very good news.

Would also love to see BattleMorph find it's way onto the collection but perhaps that's too much to hope. 

As for Lynx titles, what they'll have likely depends on what they could get licensed. In looking at their 2022 IP list, unless I overlooked something, I only see two Lynx titles on there, Basketbrawl and Super Asteroids & Missile Command. It is kind of odd that they don't list Tempest 3000 on there, as well as so many unreleased games (although maybe that means they'll end up pulling an AirWorld with those too, which would be neat).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

As for Lynx titles, what they'll have likely depends on what they could get licensed. In looking at their 2022 IP list, unless I overlooked something, I only see two Lynx titles on there, Basketbrawl and Super Asteroids & Missile Command. It is kind of odd that they don't list Tempest 3000 on there, as well as so many unreleased games (although maybe that means they'll end up pulling an AirWorld with those too, which would be neat).

There's also the Lynx version of Scrapyard Dog. 

That IP catalog is unreliable. They don't list everything they own (such as the Microprose war sims they're currently selling on Steam & VCS, for example).

16 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

There's also the Lynx version of Scrapyard Dog. 

That IP catalog is unreliable. They don't list everything they own (such as the Microprose war sims they're currently selling on Steam & VCS, for example).

That's right, I did forget about SD. But overall most of the games on the Lynx and Jaguar were not developed at Atari but 3rd parties like Hand Made Software, thus the dearth. Cybermorph should be one of those examples, I believe (did Carl buy CM as well as BattleMorph, or just BattleMorph?); Then of course you've had sales of IP over the years, like BattleZone going to Rebellion back in 2012 or so.

Do they own the Microprose sims or are they just serving as the publisher? I know some of that stuff is dependent on contracts, like them listing RollerCoaster Tycoon but there are a number of games that they publish (Blood is one I recall) that they don't hold the rights to.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
typo fix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cafeman said:

As far as I know, the game isn’t on this compilation. Nobody from Digital Eclipse ever broached the subject to me. At this point, the XE version would be the better version to put on any compilation or store anyway, as it has more content, an improved engine, and a few bug fixes.   

There's a screenshot of Adventure II on the back of the VCS box,  I assumed that meant they had plans to release it?

9 minutes ago, zzip said:

There's a screenshot of Adventure II on the back of the VCS box,  I assumed that meant they had plans to release it?

Do you mean this ?  :)    How curious!   Actually, Atari has used that image for years in their IP catalog, I think somebody never realized it wasn't their 2600 Adventure II game which Curt Vendel's team programmed for the Flashback.   

Atari-VCS-S8001-06-2.jpg

• Haha 2

I dont know if my source is reliable or not, only time will tell but I have been told Tempest 3000 (nuon) will be in this collection along with T2K. If it turns out to be true that is awesome.

I also think the Spacewar 2000 Jaguar prototype should be included even though there is no mention of it. The game is represented in Ataris 2022 IP catalog so if they have made a point to say its their property up until this point why wouldn't they? Maybe there will be a seperate tab for things like prototypes and unreleased games like Marble Madness 2 and such.

The real question I have is WHERE THE HELL IS BLASTEROIDS? Its been well over 30 years now and Im pretty sure Blasteroids was the OFFICIAL sequel to Asteroids. Its not listed in the IP catalog either but I dont think they are actually listing ALL of their IPs. I loved the arcade version of Blasteroids. I played another version for pc or something and I didnt like that one but the arcade Blasteroids was one of my favorites. I really hope it gets some love.

Im actually really excited about this release. I havent been this excited since I was waiting on Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze to drop on the Wii U

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

You can also see "handheld" grayed out on the game selection menu. This is interesting because it could mean some GB, GBA or PSP games are included, in addition to Lynx.

Screenshot_20220630-133856_YouTube.jpg

Thanks! Ill add it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

The real question I have is WHERE THE HELL IS BLASTEROIDS? Its been well over 30 years now and Im pretty sure Blasteroids was the OFFICIAL sequel to Asteroids. Its not listed in the IP catalog either but I dont think they are actually listing ALL of their IPs. I loved the arcade version of Blasteroids. I played another version for pc or something and I didnt like that one but the arcade Blasteroids was one of my favorites. I really hope it gets some love.

All Atari arcade titles that released after the 1984 split are properties of WB Games. Blasteroids was released in 1987. 

I look forward to looking through the copyright information in the Atari 50 package to see what is licensed and what it owned by Atari SA. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, roots.genoa said:

I admit it would be cool for Atari to work with AtariAge for homebrew games, but I honestly don't think it makes much sense on a compilation celebrating the 50th anniversary of Atari. I assume it will only feature Atari-published and developed games.

Homebrew releases are now a significant facet of Atari history and partially responsible for helping keep Atari's legacy alive. So hopefully a few well chosen selections will have a place in this lineup to help tell that story a little bit.

We know that at least one will likely be present since Yoomp!, a 2007 homebrew release for Atari's 8-bit computer line, is shown as a selectable game in the 8-bit category in the trailer. 

• Like 3

Once again, I agree, but I still doubt there will be more than a few of them unfortunately. 90+ games might sound like a lot, but 50 years (well, more like 30 to be honest) and 6 systems (arcade, 2600, 5200/8-bit, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar) are quite a lot too. As someone said (doctorclu iirc), we probably already know every Jaguar game included given the "logical" amount of games that should be featured for each hardware (in relation to their popularity and depth of catalogue of course).

A volume 2 solely dedicated to homebrew games would make a lot of sense, though, especially since most systems would be covered (well, except the arcade obviously).

• Like 1

I agree.

Like you're getting at, 90+ games in actuality isn't going to amount to a very big lineup for any one category on here. The only way it could end up substantial is if they're counting every multiplatform release as a single game (Such as the potentially five different versions of Centipede that could appear on here). But I think we all know that if they could advertise 130+ games for instance instead of 90+ games by counting each version of the same game, that they would.

Edited by Atariboy

I suppose one problem is that what most of us would WANT is mostly 800/XL/XE, Jaguar, and Lynx stuff.

What we're going to get is some of that, and probably about 30-50% of the titles that were already on the Flashback releases.

After looking at the press kit docs on steam (thanks Roots. Genoa), it looks like we can now make out about 55 of the games. (I added nine to the previous list).

A few duds but a couple of nice additions.

Arcade

Missile Command

Millipede

Atari 2600

Asteroids

Millipede

Miner 2049er

Realsports Boxing, Tennis, Soccer, Football

Solaris

Atari 7800

Ninja Golf

For the whole list, click here: www.atari7800forever.com/atari50.html

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

After looking at the press kit docs on steam (thanks Roots. Genoa), it looks like we can now make out about 55 of the games. (I added nine to the previous list).

A few duds but a couple of nice additions.

Arcade

Missile Command

Millipede

Atari 2600

Asteroids

Millipede

Miner 2049er

Realsports Boxing, Tennis, Soccer, Football

Solaris

Atari 7800

Ninja Golf

For the whole list, click here: www.atari7800forever.com/atari50.html

Definitely some real bangers appear to be coming to this collection.  Will have to see what else they plan to put on it.  Yeah, definitely there will be some filler.  But, from what I can tell, it looks to be quite a good collection all things considered.  Will just have to see how well this does with modern controllers or if some games will be keyboard only.  Time will only tell.

• Like 1