IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

90+ games, including six newly reimagined titles.  Retro titles from the following systems:

Arcade ● Atari 2600 ● Atari 5200 ● Atari 7800 ● Atari 400/800/XE ● Atari Lynx ● Atari Jaguar

I'm really curious about the Jaguar emulation.  If they have it dialed in, it could be amazing. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Nall3k said:

I initially sighed at the idea of another Atari compilation, but seeing this has Jaguar games -- specifically Atari Karts, makes it worth purchasing. Hopefully Tempest 2000 is on there. 

From the brief video of the game selection menu, I got Atari Karts, Cybermorph. Fight For Life, Missile Command 3D, Tempest 2000 and Trevor McFur. Probably what they retain rights to.

Screenshot_20220629-053430_YouTube.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

From the brief video of the game selection menu, I got Atari Karts, Cybermorph. Fight For Life, Missile Command 3D and Tempest 2000.

Screenshot_20220629-053430_YouTube.jpg

The Jaguar games alone are worth the asking price I believe. 

• Like 7

Wow! This is very exciting. The inclusion of Jaguar games, especially pricey ones, make this package worth it. If Hover Strike is one of the games, will it be the cart or CD version ?

Cybermorph uses the numeric pad quite extensively. I wonder how they'll emulate it with the modern controller. 

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

From Atari and developer Digital Eclipse, a new anthology coming to the VCS and other platforms in Q4 2022:  Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration

https://www.atari.com/games/50th-celebration/

Looks cool, especially with Jaguar games being on there.  Definitely will be looking forward to this on Steam when it comes out.  Man I can't wait for my Steam Deck to arrive.

• Like 1

Besides Jaguar,  anybody else notice that it promises to contain "Swordquest Airworld"?  The one that never got released.   That sounded exciting until I remembered it's a Swordquest game ?  Still maybe they'll manage to make it fun? it's a low bar.   

I also wonder what 8-bit games it will have,  and why does the ST always get shafted from these things?

• Like 2

I own a Jaguar, with CD, I still play every  now and than but having these games  on the VCS is the most exciting thing for me to look forward to since ages. Why, I don't know ro be honest, maybe the fact that a new generation gets to know these games from the past and the fact that might my Jaguar give up on me, I still can play on my VCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I also wonder what 8-bit games it will have,  and why does the ST always get shafted from these things?

GameInformer says that the six platforms are Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, ST, Jaguar, and Lynx. So it potentially hasn't, although it contradicts an earlier post in this thread.

Hopefully ST is included while the 8-bit computer line won't go ignored, with some exclusives perhaps just being lumped into the 5200 category (Although off hand I can't think of much in the way of 1st party releases that didn't originally see a 5200 appearance that also didn't rely on the keyboard). Edit: I suspect GameInformer is mistaken since you can clearly see some 8-bit computer games in the trailer.

Hopefully we'll see Cafeman's Adventure II homebrew here as well as the finished version of Tempest that the original programmer brought to completion a few years ago.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

GameInformer says that the six platforms are Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, ST, Jaguar, and Lynx. So it potentially hasn't, although it contradicts an earlier post in this thread.

Hopefully ST is included while the 8-bit computer line won't go ignored, with some exclusives perhaps just being lumped into the 5200 category (Although off hand I can't think of much in the way of 1st party releases that didn't originally see a 5200 appearance that also didn't rely on the keyboard). Edit: I suspect GameInformer is mistaken since you can clearly see some 8-bit computer games in the trailer.

The official Atari site lists "Arcade, 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Lynx, and Jaguar."  but not ST.

Weird how Gameinformer lists ST but not 8-bit?

6 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Wow! This is very exciting. The inclusion of Jaguar games, especially pricey ones, make this package worth it. If Hover Strike is one of the games, will it be the cart or CD version ?

Cybermorph uses the numeric pad quite extensively. I wonder how they'll emulate it with the modern controller. 

The 5200 games just have the keyboard keys on the side of screen, not the greatest option but it works 

18 minutes ago, Pete5125 said:

The 5200 games just have the keyboard keys on the side of screen, not the greatest option but it works 

Oh yeah, I forgot that they're on the side of the screen. I actually find that more convenient since I no longer have to look down on the controller. 

I find it interesting that this package includes more Jaguar games than what's listed in their IP catalog. Either they recently acquired full ownership, or they weren't listing everything they have ownership of.