IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

A compilation for modern platforms titled Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration was recently announced (https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/atari-50-the-anniversary-celebration-announced-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc). However, the biggest draw of this news is the fact that some Jaguar games will ve included. I linked the trailer for you all to see:

For those who don't want to watch the trailer, here are some of the Jaguar titled included so far:

* Atari Karts

* Cybermorph

* Fight for Life

* Missile Command 3D

* Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy

But the biggest question among you might be "How they included Jaguar games? Knowing how difficult it is to emulate the console." Well, a simple answer really - a member of Digital Eclipse wrote a new Jaguar emulator for this compilation:

https://twitter.com/DickWhitehouse/status/1542169227485777921

This is all the news for the moment. I'll try to keep you all to date regarding any other Jaguar game in the compilation.

Edited by KidGameR186496
Typo fix
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

This is really cool and probably the first time a company called atari has made a product related to the Jaguar since the mid 1990s.  Better late than never.  Surprised tempest 2k isn't in here considering modern day atari claims it as one of the ips that they fully own.

Edit. Never mind. The trailer shows tempest 2k in a video clip

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

This is really cool and probably the first time a company called atari has made a product related to the Jaguar since the mid 1990s.  Better late than never.  Surprised tempest 2k isn't in here considering modern day atari claims it as one of the ips that they fully own.

image.thumb.png.55b693e2c105bb747b36c21d5736f6c9.png

image.png

Sorry, I dunno how to delete one of the attachments.

Edited by Editorb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KidGameR186496 said:

* Atari Karts

* Cybermorph

* Fight for Life

* Missile Command 3D

Yeah, as noted above, you can clearly see Tempest 2000 in there as well, at the 55s mark.

However, come on, Battleshere Gold w/working multiplayer over the internet or it's useless ;-)

List appears to be in alphabetical order though, and we saw the beginning, so remaining Atari-published titles after that which could be included are (Going off Wikipedia):

• Ultra Vortek
  • Val d'Isère Skiing and Snowboarding (Non-exclusive, so probably not included?)
  • Wolfenstein 3D (Seems unlikely they'd have the rights or bother getting them)
  • Zool 2
  • Zoop

Unless they get CD emulation working...

Edited by cubanismo
Duplicate info shortened.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW, it got left out of the headline in the site above (as usual), but this is also coming to the Atari VCS:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2022/06/29/exclusive-first-look-at-atari-50-the-anniversary-celebration:

I'm excited to dig deeper into the history and nostalgia when Atari 50: The Celebration comes to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, Atari VCS, and PC this holiday season.

So for the handful of us that picked one of those up, we can finally play a few Lynx and Jaguar games on the latest "Atari" console.

• Like 3

Does modern day atari also own the atari games arcade stuff? My first impression is this collection is only console stuff, but it would be cool if it had atari arcade stuff too before or after atari was split into two companies.  Would be even better to have some prototype bits like marble madness 2 and primal rage 2.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Atari has an ip list on it's website which includes about 250 games. I was surprised there were hardly any Jaguar games on it and I don't think I saw a single lynx game.  Several titles previewed like fight for life and cybermorph are not on the list of owned ips, so it's kind of funny then that "atari" must be having to license the use of a substantial amount of atari games from others in order to present this historical collection that is supposed to embody the history of its brand.  

(Yeah I know modern day atari is a small European company that has no connection to older atari companies other than acquiring some atari ips and deciding to name itself atari)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cubanismo said:

• Ultra Vortek
  • Val d'Isère Skiing and Snowboarding (Non-exclusive, so probably not included?)
  • Zool 2
  • Zoop

Not too likely.

Unlike the confirmed games that were fully owned by Atari Corp. and likely remain the full property of today's Atari (Including Cybermorph, with no sign at least in Songbird's postings at AA of ever having bought the rights to it), Atari Corp. never owned the full rights to rerelease any of these other games and would have to pay out for some licenses to do so today, which is unlikely.

Ultra Vortek was Beyond Games, Val d'Isere Skiing & Snowboarding was Virtual Studios (And Val d’Isère is a real-life ski resort in the French Alps, which is potentially an added licensing expense these days even though no license was evidently needed originally), Zool 2 was Gremlin Interactive, and Zoop was a Viacom game. 

6 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Does modern day atari also own the atari games arcade stuff? My first impression is this collection is only console stuff, but it would be cool if it had atari arcade stuff too before or after atari was split into two companies.  Would be even better to have some prototype bits like marble madness 2 and primal rage 2.

The short answer is no, they don't own the Atari Games catalogue.

The pre-split Atari Inc. arcade releases stayed with the console/computer division that became Atari Corp when sold to Jack Tramiel in 1984 (i.e., games like Centipede and Missile Command). The arcade division itself became Atari Games and ultimately fell under the Midway Games umbrella. When Midway imploded at the end of the 2000's, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment bought the bulk of the remains, including the rights to classic Atari Games coinops like Gauntlet and Roadblasters.

So don't count on anything like Paperboy and Marble Madness. While we don't know for certain that there's no Atari Games releases included here, today's Atari has plenty of arcade classics available like Centipede without having to pay another company to license additional games from (Almost always cost prohibitive for collections like this). Ignoring discrete logic games that surely won't be represented outside of Pong, that pool of available candidates even includes some nice games that they ignored like Food Fight and Night Driver on the earlier Atari Flashback Classics/Atari Vault compilations. 

Hopefully they at least spent the money to license Battlezone for this, an iconic Atari Inc. arcade release (And 2600 game) that today's Atari sold the rights to a few years ago when they briefly started to scatter Atari Inc/Corp's heritage to the winds before having a change of heart. Was very much missed on the Flashback/Vault collections.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

A compilation for modern platforms titled Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration was recently announced (https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/atari-50-the-anniversary-celebration-announced-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc). However, the biggest draw of this news is the fact that some Jaguar games will ve included. I linked the trailer for you all to see:

For those who don't want to watch the trailer, here are some of the Jaguar titled included so far:

* Atari Karts

* Cybermorph

* Fight for Life

* Missile Command 3D

But the biggest question among you might be "How they included Jaguar games? Knowing how difficult it is to emulate the console." Well, a simple answer really - a member of Digital Eclipse wrote a new Jaguar emulator for this compilation:

https://twitter.com/DickWhitehouse/status/1542169227485777921

This is all the news for the moment. I'll try to keep you all to date regarding any other Jaguar game in the compilation.

Thanks so much for posting this!

I finally get to announce that I wrote a new Atari Jaguar emulator for this collection! There will be some more interesting announcements about that emulator coming soon, so for now I’ll just say that working on it has quickly become one of the greatest joys of my career.

I keep wondering if the last sentence was sarcasm or what. 

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

Piko Interactive owns Fight For Life.

Are you sure about that? The only things that I can bring up in Google about it are posts from you.

Any idea off hand when this happened? Perhaps back when they sold off Battlezone and a few other games?

If Piko indeed owns it now, I'm surprised Atari wasted any money to license it given the very poor reputation it has.

16 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Several titles previewed like fight for life and cybermorph are not on the list of owned ips

Interestingly, Space War 2000 is on that list, even though it never shipped

12 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Including Cybermorph, with no sign at least in Songbird's postings at AA of ever having bought the rights to it

My mistake, I was thinking of this thread:

And mis-remembered, probably helped along by this reply in that thread: