IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

On 7/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Ah geez hate to hear about that kind of thing. But that reminds me, that the trash talking fmv opponent in need for speed on 3do also passed away some years ago. 

Less than a year ago, while playing Need For Speed on my 3DO, something I often do just like Jag and DC games, I decided to write the guys name down out of the credits and look him up on the net. That's when I found out he'd died and learned more about him and his life as an actor, mostly since NSF, as I recall, but possible some before it too. But I have always like him in 3DO NSF and keep the videos on when doing head-to-head with the A.I.

Especially after I started not just getting good at the game, but mastering it, only knowing of one person off the net that beat my scores. I never got around to trying to beat his though, as mine were old saved scores and not ones I went for at the time of the challenge like he did. Anyway, once you start beating the A.I., by a lot, he fills you with congratulations that turns into complete adulation if you get good enough. It's just hilarious stuff, even hearing it 100 times over. 

EDIT: IIRC, I think a disc image was put on the net just with all the FMV from NFS...so everyone can finally see all of it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

On 6/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, CyranoJ said:

Licensing involves money.
This is Atari.

Do The Math.

Figure Bubsy wasn't added for the same reason, though programmed at Atari.

Also, doing the Math, if we are talking about a library of 90 games (some new versions of older games) and we are covering all the Atari systems, we have probably seen most of the Jaguar games represented.

• Like 3

The original post references Trevor McFur but I haven’t seen that anywhere in the trailer. However Tempest 2000 is there. I’m extremely excited for this! I mean think about it, y’all…the Switch will allow us to play portable Jaguar games. 

PORTABLE! 

it’s very exciting. Hoping for Iron Soldier, Ultra Vortek, and a miracle of licensing to allow for AvP (somehow). 

Came here for "Jaguar Mini Exist" references & you guys didn't disappoint ?

Interesting to see the Jaguar acknowledged. ? Has that even officially happened since Hasbro '99 release of rights?

I like Cybermorph more than most. Would like to see Iron Soldier added with others to showcase the Jag. The rights & licensing get interesting quick though.

For those of you with Twitter (not me)... pls keep us updated from the emu creator. Would be amazing to see it made publicly...

This is a purchase for me on Xbox platform.

6 hours ago, Robi-Wan said:

The original post references Trevor McFur but I haven’t seen that anywhere in the trailer. However Tempest 2000 is there.

Hoping for Iron Soldier, Ultra Vortek, and a miracle of licensing to allow for AvP (somehow). 

It's right beside Tempest 2000 in the menu for Jaguar games that's shown in the trailer. 

And as shown in the trailer, it's safe to count Alien vs. Predator and Iron Soldier out. We're shown where the game lineup transitions from the Atari 8-bit computer line to the Jaguar, with the first Jaguar game being Atari Karts. We're then shown the Jaguar category sorted alphabetically all the way to Tempest 2000, with the left portion of Trevor McFur's box on-screen. 

So nothing alphabetically before Trevor McFur is going to be making an appearance here. Ultra Vortek would appear to be the only possibility for additional Jaguar content that hasn't been shown in the announcement trailer (Everything else after Trevor McFur would require outside licenses).

Edit: I think we can strike Ultra Vortek as well. I mistakenly thought it was fully an Atari property and potentially owned outright by today's Atari. But a copyright for Beyond Games is clearly shown on the cartridge label and Wikipedia says that Beyond Games sold the rights to the unreleased Lynx port to Songbird Productions. Judging by the renaming that Songbird then did to Ultravore, I'm assuming all that Atari SA owns is essentially a name.

And there's little hope for Jaguar CD games in a different category appearing to pad the game list a bit further. The leading candidate, Battlemorph, isn't owned by Atari SA like Cybermorph is and was sold by the rights holder to Songbird Productions a few years back.

And Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands appears to have been the only in-house CD game that Atari did back in the day (which is a big "maybe" when one is going off the Wikipedia entry for the Jaguar CD like I am) that might be fully owned by Atari SA. And if the original Hover Strike is absent on here, it's easy to assume they're not going to be including the CD follow-up.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:48 AM, OBLIVION23 said:

Would love if they included Hover Strike in this compilation, especially the CD version 

It would add something for those of us who never went for the Jaguar CD at the time and haven't owned a Jaguar in years, but sadly it's unlikely to appear. 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, Austin said:

It's cool to see Jaguar games on here, but Fight For Life and Trevor McFur? Those two add absolutely zero value and are hardly worth "celebrating" over. Idiots making idiotic decisions as always.

Both titles do indeed seem the most bizzare of inclusions and at best novelty plays for those who've previously never experienced them. 

Another games list designed by a focus group style syndrome here it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's true these games aren't very fun, but isn't Trevor maybe notable as one of the first jag games?  Like maybe it's the first one considering it was going to be the pack in before cybermorph was developed?  And then wasn't fight for life maybe the last jag game published by atari?  If I have those facts right then it's kind of notable to include them from the perspective of the timeline they are using to present things.  

• Like 4

@Atariboy I get the alphabetical menu approach but that assumes the final made it to the trailer & nothing is added over the next 4 to 5 months leading to November.

It's not like the old days, a gold master disc for printing is a thing of the past. You're buying a physical disc lic key that often has missing data & a day 1 DL patch.

.. then again, 6 titles is over 10% of the cartridge library ?

We're already 1/3rd of the way through July. I believe it's safe to assume that the game lineup is finalized and that they're deep into the development process with the project due to be finished here later this summer, before going through the quality assurance process prior to being submitted to the various platform holders for certification.

Digital Eclipse 2.0 for instance has confirmed via social media that a deal couldn't be struck with Rebellion in time for Battlezone to make the cut for the arcade and 2600 categories. That implies that the game lineup isn't fluid at this point and has been settled upon, and that they're not working on licensing additional content at this point in the project.

That's not to say that something couldn't change here and there since it can and does happen, but I imagine it's unlikely to be anything Jaguar related (With so little to work with, they've presumably thrown everything at it already that Atari SA actually owns clear title to) and instead would be something like a fully Atari SA owned 2600 or 5200 game being swapped for another fully owned Atari SA title.

That's all of course just my personal opinion. I have no access to the inner workings of this project and could very well end up wrong. But I'd personally bet on no surprises in the Jaguar category (And if one does develop, I think it more likely that the "surprise" is the elimination of a title due to game breaking emulator issues that couldn't be resolved in time rather than expanding the lineup with additional Jaguar content).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Digital Eclipse 2.0 for instance has confirmed via social media that a deal couldn't be struck with Rebellion in time for Battlezone to make the cut for the arcade and 2600 categories.

This is the kind of info I was hunting. Pls keep those of us w/o Twitter in the loop.

That does at least imply they talked to Rebellion about their catalog. AvP will be a no-go due to licensing, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see Checkered Flag. 

Anything beyond the 6 included Jag games shown is fun speculation. We'll see. Hoping we get access to that emulator...

Also, great to see a cheaper route to play Atari Karts & giving the masses access to T2K.

• Like 2

I imagine working something out with Rebellion for AvP is by far the lesser of two roadblocks for including that title. The big ticket expense I suspect is most likely the licensing that they'd need from 20th Century Fox/Disney. 

Maybe a distant possibility for DLC (Digital Eclipse seems open to potentially expanding the lineup post-release), but likely unrealistic for the main compilation itself. Traditionally with the classic compilation genre, small budgets and modest profits don't leave much leeway for big ticket movie licenses to be acquired (Or in general much in the way of any outside licensing deals, which is why such outside content is rarely secured for projects like this).

Hopefully some cool additions can be arranged, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Digital Eclipse 2.0 acted like SNK 40th Anniversary Collection was ancient history just a few months after release and were completely unwilling to fix the LS30 aiming issue that afflicted that title (Your aim would regularly get stuck). We'll have to wait and see how this one does in the support department (And if Atari SA is willing to continue the project with add-on content). 

Maybe if the novelty of the significantly expanded reach of this compilation rewards them in the sales department, we'll see some of these seemingly unlikely possibilities come to fruition.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jagosaurus said:

I wouldn't have been surprised to see Checkered Flag.

They should rather include the far superior Lynx game imho.

Why not both? Well, I really hope there won't be too much redundancy with multiple versions of Missile Command or Tempest, honestly. Since I'm not that familiar with Atari, I was precisely wondering if Atari published a lot (if any) "original" games (as in not ports of their arcade games) on the 2600. It seems to me that the best original games on the 2600 were from Activision...

• Like 2

I'm counting on the Lynx version of Checkered Flag appearing here (I believe it was done in-house unlike the Jaguar successor and hopefully is owned by Atari SA, although it's never popped up in their IP catalogue). Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

Atari did a lot of original games on the 2600. Many aren't particularly great, with the arcade ports typically being where they shined. But there's some solid games there still, like Adventure and Haunted House to name two obvious examples. 

Edited by Atariboy

Rebellion have created AVP titles under contract for a number of companies on a number of formats over the years... 

Jaguar, PC, PSP, Xbox 360 and PS3... 

But the actual AVP licence would be in the hands of 20th Century Studios, Inc (formerly known as  Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation)  would it not? 

Think the rights to make games based on the AVP franchise used to lie with Fox Interactive, but they have closed down?. 

Atari simply acquired the AVP licence to enable Rebellion to make one specific title on the Jaguar system and that was tied to it being a Cartridge game, the rights didn't seem to cover a seperate, enhanced Jaguar CD version. 

Dan @Rebellion back in 1997 explaining why there would be no Jag CD AVP:

“Fox has their own software division, and at the time had decided to do Alien and Predator related games themselves so they could get the
whole profit instead of just Royalties. "

And:

" It was basically a liscensing issue. Fox wouldn't let us buy the
liscense to do a sequal or an improve CD version. We could have put
the AvP cart on CD, but it would have had to have been the exact same
game as the cart, no changes at all."

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Atari practically launched Rebellions career with AvP. At least they could return the favor and give some kinda sweet deal on it. 

Rebellion don't need to return any favours. 

They approached Atari UK with intent on producing software for Atari's Falcon computer, ended up being signed up as Jaguar developers and were given a contract by Atari to produce a plain Polygon 3D Racing game (Checkered Flag 2) and work with Atari in producing AVP. 

They fulfilled contractual obligations, expanded the studio and moved onto cross-platform development and bigger and better things. 

It was a straightforward business deal,

Rebellion weren't even given full access to play testing of Checkered Flag 2.

Jason Kingsley started his video gaming career  way before the Jaguar, Atari and Rebellion:

Hunt For Red October 1987

Better Dead Than Alien 1988

Blade Warrior 1991

Murder 1991

Eye Of The Storm 1993.

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I'm counting on the Lynx version of Checkered Flag appearing here (I believe it was done in-house unlike the Jaguar successor and hopefully is owned by Atari SA, although it's never popped up in their IP catalogue). Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

It's included in the second Lynx cart for Evercade (which is 100% Atari, nothing from Songbird), so they probably own it.

3 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Atari did a lot of original games on the 2600. Many aren't particularly great, with the arcade ports typically being where they shined. But there's some solid games there still, like Adventure and Haunted House to name two obvious examples.

Just remembered there's obviously Yars' Revenge.

• Like 1

8Just double checked, as there's been so much controversy over Jag AVP development over the years.. 

Purple Hampton talks of Atari getting a sub-license from Activision for Lynx AVP and then a new design had to be resubmitted for Jaguar AVP and all this before Rebellion attended the Jaguar development conference and signed up as Jaguar developers and got the contract to work with Atari to make Jaguar AVP. 

Activision had the home video game rights, I remember they never used it for the home computers.. 

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/alien-vs-predator/

Current Atari would need to do some serious negotiations with Fox/20th Century Studios.. to get Jaguar AVP a modern release. 

Screenshot_20220710_130932_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_20220710_131052_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_20220710_131104_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_20220710_131130_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Edited by Lostdragon