IGNORED

Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration compilation will include Jaguar games

KidGameR186496

I really doubt Limited Run Games will be involved. My hunch is that just like the Atari Flashback Classics line (outside of the Vita collection), Atari SA wants to give this a wide retail release. A lot of compilation sales happen on a whim when a customer notices it on a shelf and they simply don't get that same visibility from digital storefronts (And they lose out on people buying it to gift it if it's a digital exclusive).

It's what killed the Atari Flashbacks and such from AtGames when they lost retailer support from chains like Walgreens and Dollar General due to their business practices, knowing that the model doesn't work for them if their products are Amazon exclusives that a potential customer has to specifically seek out and is unlikely to just stumble across randomly at Amazon like if it was a retail release. 

Heck, even Atari Vault got a retail release on PC that was a frequent sight pre-COVID in the retail PC section at retailers like Walmart, albeit still having to be tied to your Steam account afterwards. Years after virtually all PC software was a digital exclusive, but Atari SA still wanted that presence at retail for it to maximize sales.

Ultimately though it hinges on if they can get a big retailer or two onboard like Walmart to stock it. If that fails and it ends up having to be an online exclusive, it largely defeats the benefits of giving it a retail release from their perspective and I imagine would then become a digital exclusive (And then we'd probably see Limited Run Games or a similar publisher snapping it up for a small scale run).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now looks like a targeted November release.

To answer my own question lol... 

Really excited to play Cybermorph & Tempest 2K on the new Xbox Series X 😆.

Nice to see a more affordable way to experience Atari Karts & Missle Command 3D as well.

McFur & FFL don't do much for me lol, but nonetheless, like seeing the Jaguar officially acknowledged & given some love.

Hope the community somehow gets involved with this emulator post release. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I liked FFL first but it's heavily flawed. The 2 player mode is practically broken 100%.

And that is a nogo for any fighting game. 

On the positive side, the engine, moves and animations are fairly good for a Jaguar game. Its nothing at the level of Playstation, but it looks like the Jaguar could handle a 3D fighting engine rather well.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gunther said:

So you think Virtua Fighter is "badly designed"...

Try button-mashing against a decent player.

The winning formula for any fighting game might be: easy to play, difficult to master. 

Iam not sure about FFL, it is hard to play, but there is not much depth: once you have learned the moves, they are pretty weak and pointless.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gunther said:

Fight For Life, Like Virtua Fighter, isn't a button-masher.

If you put the hours in, it's a highly technical and rewarding game.

It was unfairly panned by the critics, and ATARI themselves didn't give the developer the respect he deserved.

I actually agree with this. Took bloody ages to learn, but once you did the nuances on defence vs dodging vs attack plus getting the timing right makes it quite strategic. Different to most fighters, and not instant gratification, but felt like there was depth.  It’s a little slow responding but that felt like part of the style once used to it… kinda like a cross between mortal kombat and chess?! Lol

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mr.JT said:

I actually agree with this. Took bloody ages to learn, but once you did the nuances on defence vs dodging vs attack plus getting the timing right makes it quite strategic. Different to most fighters, and not instant gratification, but felt like there was depth.  It’s a little slow responding but that felt like part of the style once used to it… kinda like a cross between mortal kombat and chess?! Lol

You can beat the entire game by jump kicking

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

You can beat the entire game by jump kicking

Indeed. But that's relevant only for the single player mode. I think the comments are much more geared towards PvP, which is the main point of any 1v1 fighting game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Indeed. But that's relevant only for the single player mode. I think the comments are much more geared towards PvP, which is the main point of any 1v1 fighting game.

Yeah but I couldn't get any of my friends to try it with me. They just kinda went wtf is this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/20/2022 at 9:43 PM, laymanpigeon said:

At least it can be said that frames per second and graphical fidelity of Fight For Life is superior to Virtua Fighter on Sega's 32X add-on for Genesis/Mega Drive.

Uhhh… it CAN be said, but that doesn’t mean Virtua Fighter isn’t a vastly superior game in every meaningful respect.

• Like 1

Here's the full list for the compilation. Only 9 Jaguar games made it in...

https://www.player2gamestore.nl/a-74842785/pre-orders/ps4-atari-50-the-anniversary-collection-pre-order/

1) Atari Karts

2) Club Drive

3) Cybermorph

4) Evolution Dino Dudes

5) Fight For Life

6) Missile Command 3D

7) Ruiner Pinball

8 )  Tempest 2000

9) Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy

Edited by KidGameR186496
  • Like 2