IGNORED

Bad install Coleco fast bios mod

ppj34

Hello,

I have a problem with the installation of the fast delay bios of the coleco NTSC. The console was working before, but not anymore: the screen stays black at startup, no video signal.

Here are pictures of my installation, I don't see any error... I don't know what's going on or what to check.

What is sure, is that the console is well powered and the eprom of the bios is valid.

Would you have an idea please?

20220701_171241_resized.jpg

20220701_171302_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, ppj34 said:

20220701_171302_resized.jpg

The three you separated in the lower right of your picture are supposed to be connected together. It looks like you might have severed the connection to those? So I would jumper the three pins 26,27, & 28 as you can see they are supposed to be attached as can be seen below:

Colecovision-BIOS---03-Severed-Pads.jpg

Also make sure that you didn't cut any of the other traces near those pads on the W4 and W5 jumpers.

Thank you for your response.

Indeed, there was no more contact between pins 26, 27 and 28. I redid them, but unfortunately no improvement.
The other tracks seem ok next to W4 and W5.

Is there another component out of order on the board? I don't know. I will try with an oscilloscope.

Anyway, I regret to have tried to install this bios: the colecovision is known to be fragile, that confirms.

I had already had another coleco out of order because of a faulty power supply that suddenly put out higher voltages... well that's another story.

Well just repair the W4 and W5 traces by soldering your wires to jumper them back in place as they were. Then reinstall the original BIOS to at least make sure it is still working. While I've not had it happen personally, it is possible that the BIOS C5 sent could be messed up and be the issue. If you at least can confirm it works with the original back in place then you can contact C5 about it and I'm sure they will get you taken care of.