IGNORED

Externally Powered SDrive Max that turns on and off with the Computer

First post on here.

I've assembled 2 SDrive Maxs, and powered them externally and via the SIO port at times.

The SIO port power at Atari startup is inconsistent. This is I think what causes graphical glitches that go away once you click on something.

The GOOD part of the SIO 5v power is it comes on when the machine comes on (also one less wire).

Overall I would just prefer the power to be external, but I still want the SDrive to come on when the machine boots up.

My idea is to use an arduino nano to manage the powerup by detecting the SIO 5v, and then allowing power to the SDrive only when the SIO 5v is active.

I can't believe you have read this far thank you.

Since the SIO 5v is inconsistent at Atari startup, I have the nano wait before attempting to power on the SDrive.

All of this actually worked. Except it didn't because the SDrive gets enough power for the display, but not enough for the Card Reader to work.

Current power supply is 5.0v 4A (Actually measures around 5.15 to 5.20 volts)

Hooked up directly it works perfectly, nice bright screen, SDcard works, everything fine, I just don't want to have to unplug it every time.

Could I just install a switch, yes! Unfortunately this method occurred to me while looking for a small switch in my stuff and i want it to work.

My next steps are to

-try a power supply with higher voltage

-try reading the voltage off the transistor more carefully

-try power supply with higher amps?

-hope one of you all has a great solution for this

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...