IGNORED

Classic Controller Alternatives

THX-1138

There really wasn't an option prior to the Classic, and unless you know how to program your own there isn't much else available now either. Some retro fight stick things have them now, but I can't speak to whether they work on the VCS. I hear the Atari one being sold through Microcenter works, and might be a good option, but per usual the paddle control support is spotty. https://www.microcenter.com/product/623128/atari-arcade-fightstick-with-trackball-usb-dual-joystick-2-player-game-controller

I don’t know of any modern alternatives to the VCS Classic Controller to be honestly but I’m going to try my old Xbox 360 Arcade stick with the VCS when I get a chance! I’ve always found the spinner to be pretty good on it when using it with the Xbox 360 arcade games like Tempest and Frogger etc. I’ve actually been using the Xbox 360 Arcade stick more on the PC side of things lately as it works really well on Steam, the stick is pretty rubbish but the D Pad and spinner are good enough. It would be great if it works in the VCS I can easily play Tempest with it.  

502F55D1-DEC1-4989-8BE4-E885E478BBD0.jpeg

19 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Microcenter isn't an option, I'm in the UK.

I would be interested to know if anyone has tried the Hyperkin Trooper 2 and if it works ok.

Unfortunately not very well. I have this and while it works fine in PC Mode, in AtariOS is cannot be used to navigate the menu, log in, or play most games. Some but not all Vault games work with it once you have loaded the software, for example you can play Centipede, but it is inconsistent, so I wasn't able to get Combat to work. Ultimately, not a good choice for the VCS outside of maybe PC Mode.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, Mockduck said:

Unfortunately not very well. I have this and while it works fine in PC Mode, in AtariOS is cannot be used to navigate the menu, log in, or play most games. Some but not all Vault games work with it once you have loaded the software, for example you can play Centipede, but it is inconsistent, so I wasn't able to get Combat to work. Ultimately, not a good choice for the VCS outside of maybe PC Mode.

Thanks for the info.  It might not be a problem for me, I only use AtariOS to download games, I run them under Linux.  So as long as it works generally on Linux that may be fine for my uses, especially running Stella, Atari800 and Hatari.