IGNORED

BackBit Pro Cartrdige for the TI-99/4A

Sid1968

My dear TI99 friends,

I just checked out the BackBit Pro Cartridge in Evie's shop.

https://store.backbit.io/product/backbit-pro/

I looked there primarily for the VIC-20 and C64. On the Internet, the reviews for these

Commodore machines are quite good. The BackBit Pro cartridge runs with different

adapters on various retro systems.

But what was new for me was that there is now also an adapter for the TI-99/4A.

Has anyone of you already had experience with the BackBit Pro cartridge on the TI-99/4A?
What do you think of the cartridge.

Cheers

Sid1968

P.S.: Here you can find Evie's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/EviesRevue

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

The TI cartridge port has limited address access. The 4A's operating system (GPL and routines in the console ROM) can access LVL3 DSR from cartridge GROMs. But most 3rdparty software that uses the filesystem interface doesn't use what GPL provides and contains their own DSRLNK routine. Most instances of that do not examine GROMs when searching for a DSR by name. 

So, yes, for many TI original titles, such as XB, TI-Writer, Multiplane, Tunnels of Doom, Adventure. But no for Disk Manager (and any similar programs in existence today), TI-Artist, etc... 

• Like 1

Looking at this (from Evie's demo), it would basically function like the FlashROM99 does. ROMs would work, as would smaller GPL cartridges that can be launched into the 32K space for execution. Larger GPL cartridges, and any GPL cartridge that uses the 32K space for program storage (XB, E/A, Multiplan, TI Writer, Logo, Plato) probably would not work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yep thanks @evietron for the specs.. ROM only  up to 1mb.. so better than a flashrom space wise.. but no GROM support.   how do you select images is it a menu program on the 4/A? or ?

Note, though it doesn't directly support GROM cartridges, any GROM cartridge small enough to use with a GPL Loader (YLOAD or one of several others out there) can be loaded and run in the 32K space. This eliminates any cartridges that need the 32K space for their own purposes, but it will still work with the majority of GROM game/educational/utility software. @evietron also demonstrated that in the demo when the cartridge loaded Parker Brothers Frogger (Parker Brothers used CROM chips, their own proprietary GROM workalike, but it demonstrated the small GROM load capability nicely). Most (if not all) of the cartridges that would run using this workaround have already been included in the FlashROM99 libraries, so the work to use them with the BackBit Pro has already been done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For the record, BackBit DOES support GROM, up to 40KB. You must use extension G.

It also supports ROMs combined with a GROM (i.e. the CG/CDG format). For this, use extension BIN/ROM/C. Append binaries in the order C,D,G.

For normal & multi-bank ROMs, use extension BIN/ROM/C.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, evietron said:

For the record, BackBit DOES support GROM, up to 40KB. You must use extension G.

It also supports ROMs combined with a GROM (i.e. the CG/CDG format). For this, use extension BIN/ROM/C. Append binaries in the order C,D,G.

For normal & multi-bank ROMs, use extension BIN/ROM/C.

So RXB 2022D would work in this cart?

• Like 1