IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

11 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Not entirely Amico related, but I do wonder if there is a big enough market interested in a sub $200 console that is mainly designed to play indie games. There are plenty of amazing indie games out there, but the issue is all the other consoles can already play them too, so you'd have to be a lot cheaper than the competition. The other question to ask is are indie games enough to sell said console?  

As you say, basically every device on the market, from the big three consoles, to PCs, to set top boxes, to handhelds (including the Evercade), to smartphones and tablets, to the plethora of Android-powered devices, etc., can play tons of indie games, and often so much more. The differentiator for the Amico was always going to be the controllers and emphasis on local multiplayer, and I'm sure for a much smaller percentage of potential buyers, the supposedly family-friendly focus. To my mind, most of the aforementioned devices are only as good as the overall experience they offer, which includes ease-of-use, access to content, and consistent performance. Even with all of those things nailed, however, I'm not sure a pure indie box would be compelling enough for the mass market as the average person wouldn't be attracted to names they're not familiar with. At least in that regard, the Amico team also had the perfectly reasonable idea to align themselves with relatively well-known, if absolutely modest and sometimes rather silly, licenses. 

I really think the Amico had a reasonable chance at being a sustainably niche product would it have released both on time and with everything promised. To me, the gimmicks were more sustainable that something like the Playdate, which benefited from inexplicably appealing to people who normally wouldn't touch gaming like that thanks in part to the weird crank and "alternative" marketing, i.e., it was not marketed in the usual way, likely because it had little to tout from a technical standpoint (future marketers take note, I guess). And although I never have and never will see a reason for the Atari VCS to exist - and the reaction from the market bears that out - and putting aside that I give them all the credit in the world for actually releasing a working product and sticking with it for this long, I think that's as good of an example as any of how an "indie box" would do on the open market, although likely worse because it wouldn't have the benefit of an association with a name like Atari that still means enough to some people to make noise about it.

• Like 9

Self declare Amico News Authority scared of Amico questions continued.

This is also relevant.

Hey @RetroAdvisoryBoard you have John Alvarado in the chat a lot. Maybe have him address the refund queue. As Nick pointed out it's an Amico show so you all should answer the questions.

@Rev knows a couple of people you could be a real amico to and help get their money back. 🤑

Edited by MrBeefy
Tommy innuendo joke type mistake.
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Hey @RetroAdvisoryBoard you have John Alvarado in the chat a lot. Maybe have him address the refund queue. As Nick pointed out it's an Amico show so you all should answer the questions.

Maybe we could try and get @DJC himself to come and explain his reasons for all the censoring of questions.

Edited by SteveTheColecoDude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

Maybe we could try and get @DJC himself to come and explain his reasons for all the censoring of questions.

They should just change the name of the show to "DJC's Retro Jamz". I'm really not sure about the point of keeping it Amico focused, even nominally, at this point.  

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Found some great posts recently.

"It's the true definition of fascism that folks like my grandparents and relatives fought so hard against back in Italy."

Well, they didn't fight it as much as the English and the French, fyi. 😑 Actually, there's a good chance his grandparents and relatives voted for the guy that brought fascism, but whatever. 😅

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Did anyone hear about the great arsenic poisonings from Nintendo?

No and I'd like to know what game with sexual content is rated "E" on Switch... 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

They should just change the name of the show to "DJC's Retro Jamz". I'm really not sure about the point of keeping it Amico focused, even nominally, at this point.  

They could help themselves out by not calling it Amico at all.

That video by Goose isn't wrong. So far deep into the cult that can't face the truth.

1 hour ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

He really should join in the Intv forum for good real Intellivision. He needs to go cold turkey on the Amico stuff as it isn't going anywhere. He might learn what real fans who really care about the Intellivision brand look and act like.

He's been staring at the inside of Tommy's ass for so long that I think he could use to see the light.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

"It's the true definition of fascism that folks like my grandparents and relatives fought so hard against back in Italy."

Well, they didn't fight it as much as the English and the French, fyi. 😑 Actually, there's a good chance his grandparents and relatives voted for the guy that brought fascism, but whatever. 😅

No and I'd like to know what game with sexual content is rated "E" on Switch... 🙄

There was one but it wasn't a Nintendo game nor Nintendo's fault iirc. Either way only an idiot that let's their kid run free with the credit card would have had an issue. He was also the same guy who said the console was for those who liked kids in compromising positions, yet owned one himself. So he's basically admitting to being a kid predator by his own definition.

I don't think that was the best way to sell Amico.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

There was one but it wasn't a Nintendo game nor Nintendo's fault iirc. Either way only an idiot that let's their kid run free with the credit card would have had an issue. He was also the same guy who said the console was for those who liked kids in compromising positions, yet owned one himself. So he's basically admitting to being a kid predator by his own definition.

I don't think that was the best way to sell Amico.

The game in question was Do Not Feed the Monkeys. It was accidentally given an E rating by ESRB on the North American eShop before being promptly withdrawn and was subsequently rated as 16 by PEGI for the European eShop where it remains listed. There's no explicit sex in it as such, although it's highly suggestive and there's some (albeit lo-res pixel art) nudity.

While it probably isn't something you want your pre-teen children to be playing, it's not exactly hardcore pr0n either.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/362329-do-not-feed-the-monkeys-incorrectly-rated-e-for-everyone-feature

https://pegi.info/search-pegi?q=do+not+feed+the+monkeys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks have been focused too much on Cornhole.  Kubb has also been "in production" since 2019.  Looking forward to playing that on a monitor instead of outside with the family while grilling.  Has anyone seen reveals of Kubb?

1342756209_Amico-kubb.thumb.png.17233a84148531af340d3b05796ec9f5.png

Edited by rayik
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, rayik said:

Folks have been focused too much on Cornhole.  Kubb has also been "in production" since 2019.  Looking forward to playing that on a monitor instead of outside with the family while grilling.  Has anyone seen reveals of Kubb?

1342756209_Amico-kubb.thumb.png.17233a84148531af340d3b05796ec9f5.png

Jesus, with how badly they butchered their own Cornhole game, imagine what Kubb would’ve been like.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, rayik said:

This has already been discussed™️ before, but one of the problems of the Amico is it didn't offer a lot of experiences people can't already do at home, which is ironic considering the message it tries to convey. Wii Bowling was also a success because you can't play bowling at home, while you can easily play Cornhole in your garden or even indoors in a large room. In fact, if the Amico had been a real phenomenon it would have probably encouraged families to stop using it in order to play card games, dice games, lawn games, etc. together with real cards, dice, and stuff. 😅

Reality is the Amico killer. 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Rev said:

Amico or not, I never understood why people feel the need to charge/pay a crazy amount of money for an empty box!? Who knew there was money to be made in cardboard boxes?! 🤡🤣

Ray Liotta Laughing GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rev said:

Ebay gold!!!!

Amazed that someone is willing to pay nearly twice as much for what is still for sale on Intellivision's own website. Maybe they are paying premium for that coveted golden ticket card that I don't think ships anymore, but also may not have been as surprise-filled as it promised. I don't think the RFID scanner on the app ever worked with it at all for the weekly giveaways and monthly Amico console prizes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Amico or not, I never understood why people feel the need to charge/pay a crazy amount of money for an empty box!? Who knew there was money to be made in cardboard boxes?! 🤡🤣

Actually you can find on eBay empty boxes of video games, and especially cardboard boxes because they're very fragile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Amazed that someone is willing to pay nearly twice as much for what is still for sale on Intellivision's own website. 

Could be s shill bid to pretend there is action on these games at that price to try and entice others to bid? Or someone is being silly and bidding on it cause they want to stick the guy with fees and not make the sale. There is no reasonable human who would actually bid $315 USD on that auction, that is for sure.  Then again, this is Amicoland being ventured into and the first stop along the way is usually "Smooth Brains R Us" where an IQ over 35 excludes you from membership or continuing on to the main un-attraction. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Amazed that someone is willing to pay nearly twice as much for what is still for sale on Intellivision's own website. Maybe they are paying premium for that coveted golden ticket card that I don't think ships anymore, but also may not have been as surprise-filled as it promised. I don't think the RFID scanner on the app ever worked with it at all for the weekly giveaways and monthly Amico console prizes.

Just because someone lists something on ebay at an astronomical price doesn't mean people are actually buying it, or paying for it... Same exact thing when someone lists something for an insane price on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Case in point

ALADDIN VHS TAPES BRAND NEW ARE SELLING FOR $8000 PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!!

image.thumb.png.5c565649f144b06a39c44e84c10e7380.png

When in reality absolutely nobody is paying $8000 and there are plenty of dirt cheap, brand new ones somebody would buy instead if they were looking to buy this particular item

image.thumb.png.4b586ce7b6dbaea828d1a1f0b0347e6c.png

image.thumb.png.f2c9dd338e466b0ba00b3962ddbd823c.png

image.thumb.png.65ae112bafbac3e57d43f8e3e477a63e.png

For Christmas this year, I literally ordered an Amazon exclusive Funko pop from Amazon as a christmas present for one of my sisters. It's been in stock on Amazon since it released on November 4, 2022 for MSRP yet there's still a handful of them being scalped on ebay despite the fact Amazon has plenty of stock for sale still available to purchase.

image.thumb.png.0c70d5f31243a56bb4a30a4dcce295df.png

image.thumb.png.65415c47fe6922d58e79b03a64d8d77e.png

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

Damn, I definitely would have bought those things if I knew I could flip them on ebay for double what they are sold for on Intellivision's website. Oh well.

3 minutes ago, Pink said:

Just because someone lists something on ebay at an astronomical price doesn't mean people are actually buying it, or paying for it...

and yet

1307171861_.thumb.jpg.580fd156882ce630f208ff0234b2e9e2.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Damn, I definitely would have bought those things if I knew I could flip them on ebay for double what they are sold for on Intellivision's website. Oh well.

and yet

1307171861_.thumb.jpg.580fd156882ce630f208ff0234b2e9e2.jpg

After bidding & winning on an auction, you still have to go through and manually complete the transaction and pay for it. Someone bidding on something isn't a guarantee that they'll follow through and pay after the auction ends, if they win it.

I don't know how eBay's fees work now or when they get charged to the seller, but I know back when the PS3 and Wii came out in 2006, people were fake bidding galore on PS3 and Wii consoles with no intention to ever pay for it as a way to screw the scalper over by forcing them to pay the fees to eBay after the auction ended. Auction would end, the buyer would never pay, and the seller was still stuck paying eBay fees to eBay even if the buyer never paid for it. That was over 16 years ago so maybe eBay has changed it now to help protect sellers from deadbeat buyers. I've never sold on ebay so I have no idea to be honest.

There's no guarantee they'll actually follow through and pay. And knowing Amico shills,. I wouldn't put it past them to create fake accounts and put dummy bids in either to make it look like people are bidding on them.

You can also search sold items on ebay from the last 90 days (Something that a lot of people don't seem to know about) This is all that comes up for intellivision amico when you search sold listings (Only 13 results within the last 90 days)

intellivision amico for sale | eBay

image.thumb.png.83c7503a6e2c6dd10b684012d7c6b5ab.png

image.thumb.png.544922ea12ac0e60e97fe6971a904ac5.png

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Maybe paying that much to ensure it is actually shipped to them???

3 hours ago, Pink said:

After bidding & winning on an auction, you still have to go through and manually complete the transaction and pay for it. Someone bidding on something isn't a guarantee that they'll follow through and pay after the auction ends, if they win it.

I don't know how eBay's fees work now or when they get charged to the seller, but I know back when the PS3 and Wii came out in 2006, people were fake bidding galore on PS3 and Wii consoles with no intention to ever pay for it as a way to screw the scalper over by forcing them to pay the fees to eBay after the auction ended. Auction would end, the buyer would never pay, and the seller was still stuck paying eBay fees to eBay even if the buyer never paid for it. That was over 16 years ago so maybe eBay has changed it now to help protect sellers from deadbeat buyers. I've never sold on ebay so I have no idea to be honest.

There's no guarantee they'll actually follow through and pay. And knowing Amico shills,. I wouldn't put it past them to create fake accounts and put dummy bids in either to make it look like people are bidding on them.

You can also search sold items on ebay from the last 90 days (Something that a lot of people don't seem to know about) This is all that comes up for intellivision amico when you search sold listings (Only 13 results within the last 90 days)

intellivision amico for sale | eBay

image.thumb.png.83c7503a6e2c6dd10b684012d7c6b5ab.png

image.thumb.png.544922ea12ac0e60e97fe6971a904ac5.png

Look at all those Amico sales!    Surely this is Guinness Records territory. 

• Haha 3