IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

On 1/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Rev said:

Seeing how the games are still not completed, we can see that covid excuse for games not complete was not entirely factual. 

Cloudy Mountain was a launch game.  2 years later and not done.  

I do have to feel bad for some of the SLC staff (not sure if any of them were devs or just QA) - some of them came from another tech gaming flop called The Void. Guess they just couldn't catch a break when it came to gaming start-ups.

I was surprised when I played Moon Patrol and it had "filler text" from Starfox in there. It should not have been hard to already have come up with a paragraph for a story and wedge that in there prior to going public but I guess they figured no one would notice. The game was playable at least but lots did not add up in general when it came to what they did show vs. how long it had supposedly been in development for.

• Like 7

On 1/17/2023 at 8:26 PM, Rev said:

Cloudy Mountain was a launch game.  2 years later and not done.  

I miss the Amico board as there were a lot of interesting conversations well beyond the main Q&A thread, and a lot of missed conversations about a lot of these titles. But within that Q&A thread the release for Cloudy Mountain went from expected launch title, to "will know for sure by February 2021 and "worst case scenario they would be a month or so after launch, so it's not like they will be delayed for a long time." He stated this in November 2020 after committing to the April 2021 launch date.

image.thumb.png.7fde78607085464bdf1ae9c300e9b163.png

And in May 2021 he said Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain would definitely be released on physical media as well. I would had sacrificed Brain Duel and Biplanes for those if that had happened.

image.thumb.png.d0b23a9fa2187e23c833704913729cef.png

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I do have to feel bad for some of the SLC staff (not sure if any of them were devs or just QA) - some of them came from another tech gaming flop called The Void. Guess they just couldn't catch a break when it came to gaming start-ups.

I was surprised when I played Moon Patrol and it had "filler text" from Starfox in there. It should not have been hard to already have come up with a paragraph for a story and wedge that in there prior to going public but I guess they figured no one would notice. The game was playable at least but lots did not add up in general when it came to what they did show vs. how long it had supposedly been in development for.

I think they had the same philosophy with Battle Tanks. They thought no one would notice the stolen art that they tried to hide.

I think that's why they killed the Deep Dives. They realized people were going to call out their shady actions. Cornhole was shown with some artwork from PngWing just like Tanks.

6 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I miss the Amico board as there were a lot of interesting conversations well beyond the main Q&A thread, and a lot of missed conversations about a lot of these titles. But within that Q&A thread the release for Cloudy Mountain went from expected launch title, to "will know for sure by February 2021 and "worst case scenario they would be a month or so after launch, so it's not like they will be delayed for a long time." He stated this in November 2020 after committing to the April 2021 launch date.

image.thumb.png.7fde78607085464bdf1ae9c300e9b163.png

And in May 2021 he said Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain would definitely be released on physical media as well. I would had sacrificed Brain Duel and Biplanes for those if that had happened.

image.thumb.png.d0b23a9fa2187e23c833704913729cef.png

Are you suggesting that Tommy struggled with his company hitting dates? Surely not.

It was funny when CNET seemed perturbed they couldn't even make their own special event date. 600 years experience!!!!!

• Like 7

On 1/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, roots.genoa said:

No, people giving them to other people to get rid of them. Except they're selling them on eBay rather than offering them.

That was one of Johnny Carson's gags, that there was only one fruitcake that keeps getting passed around because nobody wants it. I suppose that's like those 2 youtube guys with their 'trial' units. 

Speaking of old jokes, do you see any similarities between this 1989 sketch and Tallarico's goofy video? It's exactly the same joke, lab coats and all, just less funny when Ferrari Boomer does it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rev said:

Even after the Oof being removed, Roblox has amazing numbers. 56 million in a month. 

The doomed Amico?   Im shocked they say that, we are on the launchpad. 

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/roblox-had-over-56-million-daily-players-last-month

8E029094-F7E2-4BBB-8FB9-CAD1C4DC8547.jpeg

It's funny that TT got into a dispute for someone using his sound effect when he in turn stole other people's artwork for his games! 😲

Mind boggling! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SteveTheColecoDude said:

This defense of Tommy's lies is just pathetic.

"He can lie if he wants!!!"

And everyone can call him out on it. Which ironically they don't approve of. 🤣

3 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

It's funny that TT got into a dispute for someone using his sound effect when he in turn stole other people's artwork for his games! 😲

Mind boggling! 🤣

Tommy perpetually plays the victim when he is the aggressor or perpetrator. He's kind of a coward who can't take accountability for his mess ups. He didn't even admit that he was pushed out as opposed to "stepped down".

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rev said:

Here is a reaction from a pretty popular guy with a large following. Watching the Amico E3 video. 

I hadn't watched the E3 for a long time. 

"I can take my controller, I can go over to your house, dock it in your system and because it recognizes that it's my controller we can now play all of my games that I own on your system at your house. As long as my controller is there, my games are there as well."

Not entirely accurate if you read their late-2021 updated FAQs:

"Simply dock your controller on your friend’s Amico to establish communication. Your games can now be downloaded and played for up to 24 hours while your controller is connected. After the sharing time expires, your controller must reconnect with your home Amico to re-enable its ability to share your games."

So if you're going to spend a weekend at a friend's place you'll want to take your entire Amico along, to reactivate the sharing every 24 hours. 

That idea feels like another afterthought of adding in some unnecessarily complicated form of software protection. Just like deciding physical media owners would have to physically scan their RFID card every time they wanted to play any of the games.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

That idea feels like another afterthought of adding in some unnecessarily complicated form of software protection. Just like deciding physical media owners would have to physically scan their RFID card every time they wanted to play any of the games.

... and certain people wonder where we get the impression from that they were always winging it and nothing was ever properly finished? 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The way I understood it at first was simpler and more elegant imho:

• Games are linked to the controllers, so if you bring one of them to a friend, you can play your games on their Amico indefinitely, as long as you keep using your controller. It's exactly like lending a game, but you lend the controller instead.
  • To prevent people from illegally copying games this way (you could give your controller to someone else and buy a new one to bind it to your games again), as soon as the games are played on another Amico (whether it's yours or not), they become unplayable on another Amico (including the original one) at the same time, like how it works on Steam and streaming services. Of course this requires an Internet connection, but:
    • You need an Internet connection to download the games on the second Amico system anyway
    • You can indeed keep the games forever on both consoles if you break the connection after you downloaded the games, but that means you won't be able to download a new game, ever.

Of course I didn't think about it that much and there may be a caveat I missed. I'm no industry legend with over 600 years of experience after all. 😔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

The way I understood it at first was simpler and more elegant imho:

• Games are linked to the controllers, so if you bring one of them to a friend, you can play your games on their Amico indefinitely, as long as you keep using your controller. It's exactly like lending a game, but you lend the controller instead.
  • To prevent people from illegally copying games this way (you could give your controller to someone else and buy a new one to bind it to your games again), as soon as the games are played on another Amico (whether it's yours or not), they become unplayable on another Amico (including the original one) at the same time, like how it works on Steam and streaming services. Of course this requires an Internet connection, but:
    • You need an Internet connection to download the games on the second Amico system anyway
    • You can indeed keep the games forever on both consoles if you break the connection after you downloaded the games, but that means you won't be able to download a new game, ever.

Of course I didn't think about it that much and there may be a caveat I missed. I'm no industry legend with over 600 years of experience after all. 😔

Let us be real for a minute. Even if they launch a console, no one is going to have any friends nearby with a console. We may not get to see if they botched that feature or not.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I hadn't watched the E3 for a long time. 

Not entirely accurate if you read their late-2021 updated FAQs:

So if you're going to spend a weekend at a friend's place you'll want to take your entire Amico along, to reactivate the sharing every 24 hours. 

Internally they likely debated how to best protect against piracy.  So things like this can change prior to release.  It could have even changed after release based on user feedback.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:32 PM, SteveTheColecoDude said:

This defense of Tommy's lies is just pathetic.

"He can lie if he wants!!!"

Didn't hear anyone in the video clip say that.  Plus, they were talking about a youtuber.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Internally they likely debated how to best protect against piracy.  So things like this can change prior to release.  It could have even changed after release based on user feedback.

Yeah, likely.  And I guess they settled on the best way to prevent piracy is to just take everyone's money, go on a shitload of vacations (which they flaunted well, as I understand it) and never release anything.  Gotta admit, it seems to have worked.  We're years past the original intended launch and they haven't been pirated yet.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Didn't hear anyone in the video clip say that.

Seems the quote was "he can say whatever he wants, man."   And if we wanna get all literal about it, that's way worse, since that means not only can he "lie if he wants," but they're also giving him a free pass for racism, hate speech, slander, threats, etc.  Whatever he wants, man...

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Plus, they were talking about a youtuber.

Really?  You could be right as I didn't watch (and have no intention of watching) the original, but in this one, they're talking about Tommy's record and the dude says "it was given to him, he can say whatever he wants."   So they gave Tommy's records to a youtuber?  That's just mean...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4