IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

There is only one Intellivision section now, for obvious reasons. 

No love for the Hyperscan? ?

3 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

What are that obvious reasons? The fact that it is very unlikely to come out? Then why discuss it here at all? I thought the mods decided since it was clearly a very divisive topic it was moved to its own section then later shut down altogether due to it causing more trouble than it was worth. Not sure why bringing it back here is helpful. I would suggest it has even less to do with the classic Intellivision now than ever before. 

This really comes across as someone who doesn't want to lay in something that they took part in enabling for years. I didn't hear you be outspoken about the Q&A thread being pinned at the top of the forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere?

What makes it any less Intellivision than before? I don't see anything that has significantly changed other than the ease of denying the horrible state in. It still has the remakes and they've yet to say they are scrapping putting the jzintv and classics on there. So I haven't seen where it is any less Intellivision than before.

Most of the people participating in that Q&A thread were not the usual Atariage Intellivision section users.  It was rightfully moved to the modern consoles section.  This thread is about issues launching a modern console, not about emulating Intellivision games or Amico games inspired by those games, and is definitely off-topic.

4 hours ago, Rev said:

There is enough flash/cell ports to get the bad reputation, so thats too many.  Care Bears Racing and Sesame Street? Wasnt one of these a free game on a website?  

More than a dozen Amico games were played at live events.  None of them were Care Bears or Sesame Street.  Sesame Street on Amico is a port of existing web games, we'll see any improvements they claim to have made should it ever come out.  Of the other twenty-one games listed in their launch lineup, about four are based on ports of existing Android games.  What's wrong with that?

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

So theoretically someone could contest making an Amico console. Since they only have a design mark they would be in worses standing than if they had a standard mark.

That might be true if the Amico trademark was mostly a design with the word smaller, detached from the design.  That's because a consumer might see the picture and not notice the word so much, so the word doesn't resonate with the consumer as much.  In the Amico case the design is a word.  The consumer cannot help but read the word when seeing the design.  If the consumer sees a different console called Amico there could be confusion.  The Amico trademark, as it is, would protect them.

Edited by mr_me

We can see the reasoning behind why there is only one Intellivision area. 

Actually Albert is being very very generous letting ANY Amico threads on AA. I wont be making any more Amico threads until a new section is open.   

That speaks volumes, an upcoming console banned from a gaming forum! 

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

This thread is about issues launching a modern console, not about emulating Intellivision games or Amico games inspired by those games, and is definitely off-topic.

When doing up a modern console. The makers need to really shut up about it and not build hype months, years, prior to release. Hype burns out fast. And in today's internet marketing environment everything is conveyed crystal clearly. Leaves no room for adventure and exploration of the console if it makes it to market. Feels like we've already seen everything there is to see about product x.

In the 1970's we got to watch gaming consoles evolve realtime. Their essence had time to slow-simmer into contemporary culture. Every other week was like cartridge week for us. The industry presented new stuff, real stuff, at a pace we could absorb and integrate into daily activities.

No deluges of bullshit to overwhelm us or disappoint us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

What makes it any less Intellivision than before? I don't see anything that has significantly changed other than the ease of denying the horrible state in. It still has the remakes and they've yet to say they are scrapping putting the jzintv and classics on there. So I haven't seen where it is any less Intellivision than before.

Because of THIS:

image.thumb.png.8cf5a945b3f021cd1426a0d73b8e13f4.png

This is a subforum of the Classic Console variety, and it is to discuss the Mattel Electronics console and not a IE console.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

No love for the Hyperscan? ?

This really comes across as someone who doesn't want to lay in something that they took part in enabling for years. I didn't hear you be outspoken about the Q&A thread being pinned at the top of the forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere?

To answer the second part first, is there anyone in this thread who genuinely believes this console is coming out? As someone who preordered a lot of these and stands to lose a large amount of money, I honestly don't think I'll ever receive one of these and that's a bummer but life goes on.

By extension, I would suggest this has nothing to do with the classic Intellivision system as we will never get to see the old games we love, or new versions of them, on the Amico. So nothing to discuss as they're not going to happen, unlike when the initial Q&A came out it seemed like we would get to play both updates and the classics. Sadly, that ship has sailed. 

To go along with your thought that this still has something to do with the classic games, looking at the topic heading, I'm not sure what game(s) we're discussing given that this seems to be about abandoned trademarks for a seemingly failed modern console. Consider me skeptical on that point. ??

Now to the rest of the first part of your response. I think if one was to go through my 15K+ posts I've made over the years, it would be rare for me to be outspoken about anything as this is a fun hobby to me, where I've met many likeminded folks both online and in person, and if I had legitimate concerns about something I would discuss them in private PMs, not publicly in threads. (Unless I was bashing Rev which I am happy to do very publicly as he is my bestie). You'll have to take me at my word that I recognized where this was going and had discussions with folks that the Amico needed its own forum and I had no problem with it ultimately being shut down.

Finally, if by "enabling" you meant was I super excited about this console and did I put out a bunch of money in preorders to

hopefully help make it happen? Yes I did.
I also was excited to talk about it and all the games I hoped we'd get to play, including setting up a couple Amico's at PRGE for a bunch of us nerds to play, just like we do with Intellivision games.

I suspect this thread was not created with the end goal being to discuss the awesomeness of the Intellivision but rather something else... and by the way, something else that I have zero issues with being discussed, just maybe in a more appropriate forum. My 2 cents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rev said:

We can see the reasoning behind why there is only one Intellivision area. 

Actually Albert is being very very generous letting ANY Amico threads on AA. I wont be making any more Amico threads until a new section is open.   

That speaks volumes, an upcoming console banned from a gaming forum! 

Yes it would appear Al did ask that no one should be making new Amico threads and yet here we are. I fully agree that if the console does come out a new forum with threads discussing it would be great. Until then, maybe these sort of threads shouldn't be created in the Intellivision forums, as per Al's request. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

they've yet to say they are scrapping putting the jzintv and classics on there.

You can always ask Joe Z if they have been working with him, or not. 

We may be surprised, but last I heard from him is that they had not contacted him. 

• Thanks 1

Emulating classic Intellivision games is not a priority for Amico.  It may have been in the original concept but that's no longer the case as they soon thereafter advised not to expect them for maybe a year after system release.  Jzintv has an open license so anyone is free to implement it.

41 minutes ago, Keatah said:

When doing up a modern console. The makers need to really shut up about it and not build hype months, years, prior to release. Hype burns out fast. And in today's internet marketing environment everything is conveyed crystal clearly. Leaves no room for adventure and exploration of the console if it makes it to market. Feels like we've already seen everything there is to see about product x.

In the 1970's we got to watch gaming consoles evolve realtime. Their essence had time to slow-simmer into contemporary culture. Every other week was like cartridge week for us. The industry presented new stuff, real stuff, at a pace we could absorb and integrate into daily activities.

No deluges of bullshit to overwhelm us or disappoint us.

I remember the 70s and 80s.  Plenty of "coming soon" video games that took ages to show up and some not at all.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Maybe they abandoned the Amico trademark because they're going to call the new console the "Twist".....

....because any time it's mentioned a whole bunch of knickers sure get into one.

Hey,back off Cebus!?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Most of the people participating in that Q&A thread were not the usual Atariage Intellivision section users.  It was rightfully moved to the modern consoles section.  This thread is about issues launching a modern console, not about emulating Intellivision games or Amico games inspired by those games, and is definitely off-topic.

More than a dozen Amico games were played at live events.  None of them were Care Bears or Sesame Street.  Sesame Street on Amico is a port of existing web games, we'll see any improvements they claim to have made should it ever come out.  Of the other twenty-one games listed in their launch lineup, about four are based on ports of existing Android games.  What's wrong with that?

That might be true if the Amico trademark was mostly a design with the word smaller, detached from the design.  That's because a consumer might see the picture and not notice the word so much, so the word doesn't resonate with the consumer as much.  In the Amico case the design is a word.  The consumer cannot help but read the word when seeing the design.  If the consumer sees a different console called Amico there could be confusion.  The Amico trademark, as it is, would protect them.

The Amico mark is strictly for how it looks. Not specifically the word. Taken from here. https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/trademark-examples

Special form format 

Trademarks registered in special form format protect trademarks that are  stylized , have designs or logos, or are in color. Trademark owners typically register in special form format when the stylization and design is an important part of the trademark. With this format, you’re getting protection specifically for the way the trademark looks

Notice that last line. It doesn't mention the words it mentions how it looks.

Coca-Cola® (Intellivision Mark)

Here the trademark is registered in standard character format. This format provides the broadest protection because it protects the words themselves and is not limited to a particular font style, size, or color. 

COCA-COLA LOGO, script (Amico Mark)

Here the trademark is registered in special form format, where the stylized lettering is a significant part of what’s protected.

16 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

The Amico mark is strictly for how it looks. Not specifically the word. Taken from here. https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/trademark-examples

The Amico trademark type is "design plus words".  It says at the top "word mark:  Amico".  We've gone over this before.  At the end of the day the purpose of trademarks is to prevent confusion in the market and two different video game systems called Amico would be an issue.

Edited by mr_me

52 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

...Consider me skeptical on that point. ??...

My 2 cents.

Cmart you are going to end up in the Hater Folder on someone's desktop with that talk. :P

I just find it funny how you are outspoken about discussing it in this forum now as opposed to years ago. Surely you can see how that appears? Especially now that it is obvious that the company has been in a bad way, but no one was saying that when the CEO was calling people haters and liars and things were great. I believe you when you say you have PM discussions and honestly I think the Q&A should have left this forum section long before it did.

As far as getting it out? I think they will gather as many dev kits they can and get them on the latest firmware and get it out to a select few YouTubers. This will be the last ditch effort to get some investor interested. Beyond that I doubt they can even get the Founders out.

And by all means keep giving @Rev crap. We all know he has it coming. :P

38 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I remember the 70s and 80s.  Plenty of "coming soon" video games that took ages to show up and some not at all.

Yes there were plenty of vaporware things. But at the same time we didn't have the internet screaming at us 24/7 and amplified by youtube. And as kids we were more able to quickly forget stuff that just wasn't in our sphere of awareness.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

You can always ask Joe Z if they have been working with him, or not. 

We may be surprised, but last I heard from him is that they had not contacted him. 

It was on a stream, and it was a while ago, but nurmix said they still planned to have it. I'm guessing he can't talk about it though. I'm guessing he has a few more years with all the NDAs and such that I'm sure employees are under before he can discuss such things.

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The Amico trademark type is "design plus words".  It says at the top "word mark:  Amico".  We've gone over this before.  At the end of the day the purpose of trademarks is to prevent confusion in the market and two competing video game systems called Amico would be an issue.  Lets start with one system before we worry about these issues.

That means there are words in the design not specifically that it covers the words. Read the Coca-Cola one. It doesn't cover the word Amico. It is strictly covering the font design. I would be able to use this for a product since it doesn't infringe on their curvey font. Screenshot_20220704-194124_Docs.jpg.658cf3fbce62b5c821e5389d1f7cd01d.jpg

Now if they did the Standard Mark for Amico I couldn't.

31 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The Amico trademark type is "design plus words".  It says at the top "word mark:  Amico".  We've gone over this before.  At the end of the day the purpose of trademarks is to prevent confusion in the market and two different video game systems called Amico would be an issue.

Actually another system calling itself "Amico" would find themselves dealing with Amiga again. Any issue with Intellivision would be the least of their problems.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

That means there are words in the design not specifically that it covers the words. Read the Coca-Cola one. It doesn't cover the word Amico. It is strictly covering the font design. I would be able to use this for a product since it doesn't infringe on their curvey font. 

It says it is a significant part of what's protected not strictly what's protected.  The stylised lettering is significant because it would prevent someone using a different name copying the stylised lettering.  But there's no question the word is recognised in the trademark as well.

Like I said, two video game systems with the same name, in the same market, would be an issue.  Even if the trademark office permitted the other application, the ultimate ruling would come before a judge, doesn't matter what the trademark office says.  If a judge thinks, it's okay, consumers won't be confused, then the two trademarks might be allowed to coexist.

Edited by mr_me