IGNORED

400/800/2600 smaller joystick alternatives?

dukes909

Though I really like the classic joysticks that came with the VCS, arthritis in my hand has made the base of those uncomfortable to use for any length of time.  Is there a readily available joystick for these systems that has a base that is easier to hold for old guys like me (one that is maybe not so wide)?
Cheers

Dukester

Wico's The Boss has been a particular favourite of mine since first getting one c.1985.  While not smaller than the standard CX40 joysticks, I find the base reasonably easy to hold and the fact that the stick itself rotates (but doesn't act as a paddle, driving controller, etc.) is a plus.

If a gamepad is under consideration, the Atari CX78 may be a possibility.  They're not the greatest you're ever likely to use, but they're also pretty far from being the worst.  I seem to be in the minority that actually likes them, so my judgement may be suspect ;)

FWIW, I've also had arthritis developing in the hands and fingers over the past couple of years.  These are controllers that I've found work well for me, but obviously arthritis develops differently in everyone so it goes without saying that YMMV.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Wico's The Boss has been a particular favourite of mine since first getting one c.1985.  While not smaller than the standard CX40 joysticks, I find the base reasonably easy to hold and the fact that the stick itself rotates (but doesn't act as a paddle, driving controller, etc.) is a plus.

If a gamepad is under consideration, the Atari CX78 may be a possibility.  They're not the greatest you're ever likely to use, but they're also pretty far from being the worst.  I seem to be in the minority that actually likes them, so my judgement may be suspect ;)

FWIW, I've also had arthritis developing in the hands and fingers over the past couple of years.  These are controllers that I've found work well for me, but obviously arthritis develops differently in everyone so it goes without saying that YMMV.

One thing about the Boss...why did the joystick rotate?
Never understood that feature.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:18 PM, Leonard Smith said:

One thing about the Boss...why did the joystick rotate?
Never understood that feature.

Ergonomics.  Essentially, the rotating stick helps to compensate for movements during gameplay of the hand holding the base.  It effectively means that the wrist of your joystick hand isn't fighting changes in the angle or direction of the base.

Not sure that's necessarily the best description.  It's difficult to get the knowledge of how it works out of my brain and into text even though it's one of those things that makes perfect sense in practice.

• Like 3

If you can't find the CX78 gamepad, than any Sega Master System or Genesis controller will work.  In fact the Genesis gamepad is ergonomically better...

Just don't use the 6 button gamepads and avoid using on Atari ST & Commodore computers.  They work fine on any 8-bit Atari though (except 7800).

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 8:50 PM, KaeruYojimbo said:

The Slik Stik is smaller and has a more rounded base. It's been my go-to for several years now.

Slik Stik all the way - smaller, more comfortable, accurate and incredibly robust.  Have been using them since the A8s original days.

I always found the Amiga Powerstick to be more of a curiosity than a viable long term controller.  

On 7/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, dukes909 said:

Though I really like the classic joysticks that came with the VCS, arthritis in my hand has made the base of those uncomfortable to use for any length of time.  Is there a readily available joystick for these systems that has a base that is easier to hold for old guys like me (one that is maybe not so wide)?
Cheers

Dukester

What about the Epyx 500XJ controller?

You can cup the joystick in your hand

Image 1 - 500XJ Epyx Joystick Controller by Konix Atari 2600 Commodore 64 Vintage

• Like 1

Th Epyx (Konix) is a good option.

But...the microswitch design does translate into a different feel when playing the games.

It may just be me, but I never grew up with microswitched joysticks for my home consoles - so Atari just don't 'feel' the same to me when using a microswitch stick (or something like a Genesis pad).

I suppose others may be less picky, but it's a difference you can feel for sure.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:06 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Does the longer throw on the stick make timing game play a little different?

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

Does the longer throw on the stick make timing game play a little different?

That's actually a difficult one for me to answer.  I'm in the group that has never cared for the feel of the CX-40, so can't really compare directly to that stick as I just don't use them.

What I can say is that The Boss is constructed with arcade joystick parts and has a close-to-arcade feel as a result.  The following thread has photos that give a better visual description of this:

It all comes down to personal preference, however, and as much as I may like this particular joystick I'm ultimately an advocate of getting whatever works best for the person who has to actually use it.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:35 PM, fdr4prez said:

I haven't used one [microswitch joystick] since i was a kid, and it wasn't a daily player.

But as we age, this may the way to go for comfort.

Or maybe a Sega 3-button

So true, nowadays I feel more comfortable playing with a modern gamepad than an actual Atari joystick.  I can play with the Flashback joystick but that's only because it's slightly smaller, easier to hold, and it doesn't break like the original Atari stick.

Someday I like to get an adapter to use authentic, or at least Flashback, controllers for a more old school feel but for now I'm making due with a fighting gamepad made for the Xbox one.  it has a thumbstick with a short throw and 8-way restrictor gate to feel like a microswitch controler (think ColecoVision stick) and also six face buttons & looser D-pad for Sega games.