IGNORED

Modern VCS controller not working with some games.

skorphy

Has anyone encountered this issue? When I connect a Modern VCS controller via Bluetooth it works fine in the Dashboard and with games like Dodo Dounut or Sir Lovelot, but when I open a (new) Atari title like Gravitar: Recharged or Asteroids: Recharged none of the buttons work except for the Atari logo button to go back to dashboard. When I hook the controller up via USB it works but trigger response seems sluggish. VCS shows that I have the most updated firmware version 1.47. I haven't tried the classic controller to see if I still get this issue. I've also contacted Atari and am awaiting a response.

I’ve had the exact same problem on both my VCS consoles and the only way to resolve it I’ve found is to go into the Bluetooth options in the settings and forget the controller and once done pair it back up to the VCS via the Bluetooth setting again and it’ll work! If that doesn’t work unfortunately you’ll possibly need to delete the game save file for the recharged games that the controller is not working with and start over. Give those options a try and it should work for you. 

I've noticed that if I leave the classic controller plugged in via USB to charge while I'm trying to play with the modern controller via bluetooth, or vice-versa, the USB-connected controller takes precedence in games and I can't use the bluetooth one outside of the menus. Unplugging the unused controller from USB gets things working again. Is that perhaps what was going on here?

On 7/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’ve had the exact same problem on both my VCS consoles and the only way to resolve it I’ve found is to go into the Bluetooth options in the settings and forget the controller and once done pair it back up to the VCS via the Bluetooth setting again and it’ll work! If that doesn’t work unfortunately you’ll possibly need to delete the game save file for the recharged games that the controller is not working with and start over. Give those options a try and it should work for you. 

this fixes the problem, thanks. unfortunately, i've had to do it at least twice now. 

Edited by skorphy

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had an issue with neither triggers on the modern controller responding? My bundle is basically brand new still, hardly use it. But just recently snagged a new game on the store but couldn't move past the tutorial because both the L/R triggers don't respond at all. Everything is up to date etc, had issues initially with the vcs itself not connecting to the controllers wirelessly. Flashed the system again and it fixed that issue, but now this issue with the triggers. Didn't even know I had an issue with the buttons until now since I didn't have any games that used them. Can't launch the game pad test on the vcs for some reason, also tested the controller on windows and confirmed no response from the triggers either. I've switched modes on the controller and that doesn't change anything. The calibration test also doesn't get a response from the buttons either. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

23 minutes ago, Vaskomyr said:

Has anyone had an issue with neither triggers on the modern controller responding? My bundle is basically brand new still, hardly use it. But just recently snagged a new game on the store but couldn't move past the tutorial because both the L/R triggers don't respond at all. Everything is up to date etc, had issues initially with the vcs itself not connecting to the controllers wirelessly. Flashed the system again and it fixed that issue, but now this issue with the triggers. Didn't even know I had an issue with the buttons until now since I didn't have any games that used them. Can't launch the game pad test on the vcs for some reason, also tested the controller on windows and confirmed no response from the triggers either. I've switched modes on the controller and that doesn't change anything. The calibration test also doesn't get a response from the buttons either. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've never ever had issues with the triggers on the modern controller but what you could try is updating the firmware on the controller if you haven't already done so. To do this you will need to connect the USB cable up to the controller so its running a wired connection to the Atari VCS 800 and from there going into the settings option within the Atari VCS 800 and locating the devices option tab i believe and you should see your controller detected and from there you can see if your controller firmware is up to date. If that doesn't work i would say your controller is probably faulty as its having the same issue when you connect it to a PC. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vaskomyr said:

Yeah, with no way to reapply the update to see if it just didn't take properly it seems to be the only recourse. Shame too, I was hoping to play through the new haunted house game, lol dang it.

You may also want to try a factory reset on the controller.  There is a small hole on the bottom of the controller just under and to the right of where the USB cable goes in.  Get a paperclip and push it into the hole for about 30 seconds.  This will do a factory reset on the controller.  Then you can update the firmware again on the VCS.  I hope this works for you.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 7:06 PM, Vaskomyr said:

Unfortunately not, I tried that several times as well. Both triggers just seem to be dead and unresponsive. Honestly without a way to manually apply an update or firmware, I am going to have to see if I can get a replacement from atari.

IM having the exact same problem with my modern controller! I cant get the triggers to work no how. Some games (like Berzerk Recharged) the game is actually assigning the trigger function (shooting) to the left bumper.  If you happened by chance to discover a fix please let me know.

What version are your controllers at, right now? I find it very unlikely the buttons both failed at once...
and it makes no sense the VCS O/S being corrupted, because it's validated at every boot. It's weird. 😞

I heard that there will be a firmware update for the controllers, with the next update to the AtariOS.
This is coming soon, and I believe it will make the controllers more reliable when used over Bluetooth.

I can't understand why an improvement like that is not pushed out independently, but that's Atari.

A good site for testing your controllers is this, which you launch from Chrome, on the VCS.
The display of the controller is a bit off, and it does not recognise it specifically, but the tests work.
https://hardwaretester.com/gamepad

For me, for months, the Atari controller test app has been broken - it's also due an update I think. 😕

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had to have mine replaced. I went through every reset, update I could. Unfortunately there wasn't a way to reflash the controller which frankly is probably the issue. Thankfully, atari customer service made it pretty easy to replace it, they actually sent a new in box replacement after sending mine in. I was a little hesitant with upgrading the firmware but everything went good and it's up to date and working properly now. Didn't realize it sooner as an issue because I hadn't purchased any new games that used the triggers, so I was unaware I had an issue until I bought the new haunted house game and couldn't move past the tutorial stage because of that issue. If you haven't had it that long I'd just reach out to customer service and start that process sooner than later.

• Like 1