IGNORED

WTB: PC Engine repair / restore services

derFunkenstein

Hi there. I'm looking for a good repair person.

I have a white PC Engine that is in really great shape cosmetically, but the darn thing doesn't turn on. It used to work great. No idea what happened. The PCB doesn't look bad, though. My hands and up-close vision are not what they used to be, and I don't have the necessary equipment to figure out what's wrong. I would much rather pay someone to fix it than buy tools and learn the necessary skills.

Alternatively if someone wants to buy a dead PC Engine (console only - I use the controller with my CoreGrafx II) on the cheap, let me know. 

Here are a couple pics I took. If you want to know more about what you're getting into before you get into it, let me know what else to photograph. 

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

Edited by derFunkenstein

I'm guessing a multimeter would tell me that but I don't own one or know what the fuse looks like. I'm a software guy. :D

That said, a little googling suggests they're cheap. If it doesn't require soldering I can probably replace it myself.

Looks like this is the guy. Looks like it might need soldered? https://console5.com/store/fuse-1a-250v-glass-with-leads-pc-engine-main-fuse.html

And that's assuming that it's the problem. Which is why I just want to give it to someone with the experience to solve. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

if the fuse was bad and its glass you can look at it (maybe with a magnifying glass) and see if the wire inside of it is broken or burnt looking, now just replacing a fuse may or may not solve the issue, something happened to blow it in the first place

(side rant) 

Over the years of being in hobby communities of all sorts, I hear people say the fuse is there to protect your gear, reality of it is the fuse is there to protect the thing powering the gear that failed. There are situations where a fuse or similar object can be tripped by an external force (lets say a lightning strike) and it can protect the thing its installed into .... but the main function is to disconnect failed equipment from power so it wont catch fire

not to sound scary about it, get the fused replaced, if it pops again something else is wrong 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1