IGNORED

Apple Disk Drive II not spinning

gmc

I purchased a Apple disk drive A2M0003 from eBay which I'm  trying to get working on my Apple IIe

I"ve opened up the drive and cleaned all oiled everything and slide/motor moves freely.

New to using Apple computers  so first need to check a few things.

With the disk drive connected to a disk ii interface card (drive 1) I power the Apple on and the red light on the drive stays on and it makes a shudder sound for a few seconds. (Drive doesn't spin)

Then press Crtl-Reset - LED goes off.

Run PR#5 and it shudders again, LED stays on but again no spinning. Is this normal (Apart from that it should spin correct? There is no disk in the drive)

I've tested all the logic chips and can't find any issues.  I've tried looking for schematics but all the ones I've found so not seem to match the board I have. I've read through the SAMS service manual for the A2M0003 but it seems to refer to a completely different PCB than what I have. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also does this sound like a issue with the analog or speed controller board?

20220707_203619.jpg

20220707_203639.jpg

5 hours ago, gmc said:

Then press Crtl-Reset - LED goes off.

Run PR#5 and it shudders again, LED stays on but again no spinning. Is this normal (Apart from that it should spin correct? There is no disk in the drive)

Your floppy controller should be in slot 6. Try moving it and see if it will boot from there.

The slot number should not matter. The Apple scans the slots from 7 down at boot. As soon as the Apple finds a controller card, it should try and boot from it. The IIe won't scan past finding the first controller card (unlike the IIgs which will continue to scan if it doesn't find a bootable drive/disk on a controller). But typically, the card should be in 6. 

Based on those pictures, I believe this is an early Shugart drive. I'm guessing the schematics you found were for the later and somewhat more common Alps drive. The Alps is identifiable by the motor control board having 3 electrolytic caps. Plus on the chassis there should be a sticker identifying it. 

I can't say where the fault lies, but the drive should knock a few times and spin when booted. It should continue to spin until a disk with a valid boot sector is found or until you press ctrl-reset. 

Edited by nick3092

Thanks for the info - at least I know what it should be doing on startup.

The power rails are good and I've checked the resistances of the motor. All within spec.

There is no power getting to the motor.

I will try and track down the schematic for the Shugart drive. I found the manual for Shugart drives and the schematic is similar but not the same.

Failing that I will just have to reverse engineer it and add to KiCad.