IGNORED

520ST and Internal Gotek

I have acquired a 520st recently and I am wondering if an internal gotek would be possible?  I was thinking about adding an interposer to the floppy controller IC to give an internal floppy connector, then remove the serial connector and bypass caps and make a custom bracket for the Gotek and mount it there, then maybe make some extension so the screen and controls pop over the top of the system.  Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Then a GOEX is designed to fit inside nicely with display on top of ST.

(may need to extend the floppy cable though due to having to twist it)

The new rev.2022 of GOEX doesn't need the floppy ribbon cable to be twisted any more. So no extra extended cable should be needed.

2 hours ago, Devalis said:

That was the point of removing an unused serial or parallel connector so I won't have to modify the case and it would be reversible later if I wanted.

Ahh OK, IIUYC = If I understand you correctly, clearly I didn't sorry.

Nothing wrong with wanting to use your fav' model with modern emulator file solutions. 

I think I have two 520STs and one boxed 520STM somewhere in my stash of gear, my fav ST compatible case design of all time. Need to do the whole retrobrite gas business with them (Ozone gas machine + huge clear plastic bag + strong sunshine I think)

On 7/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, Devalis said:

I have acquired a 520st recently and I am wondering if an internal gotek would be possible?  I was thinking about adding an interposer to the floppy controller IC to give an internal floppy connector, then remove the serial connector and bypass caps and make a custom bracket for the Gotek and mount it there, then maybe make some extension so the screen and controls pop over the top of the system.  Thoughts?

Well, the 520ST used an external floppy drive. Why not just replace the floppy mech with a Gotek and still use the external drive as originally intended, just to keep it as original as possible?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, bfollowell said:

Well, the 520ST used an external floppy drive. Why not just replace the floppy mech with a Gotek and still use the external drive as originally intended, just to keep it as original as possible?

Yep!

GOTEK in SF354 case.JPG