IGNORED

PS5/XS/NS compatible spinners. Paddles. Trakballs, etc.

tripletopper

I would have been playing more Atari on the Xbox One .. 

Except there are two reasons not to.

One is finding a random opponent to play on any one particular game that you want but being unable to generally pick any game to broaden your horizons and increase your likelihood of finding someone online.

The other is who could play Warlords with a thumbpad, or Tempest (original or 4000) with an analog thumbpad, or Centipede with a thumbpad (I could, but it's more of a cool factor more than basic performance) or missile command with a thumb pad?

Those first three games respectively need a limited turn  radius paddle with no snapback to center, an unlimited turn radius spinner with no snapback, and a trackball.  Missile command depends on where you learned it, whether it was in the arcade which I didn't or on the 2600 or on the 5200.  Personally I prefer the 5200 control of a 2-axis joystick with no snapback that way you could dial an exact position without fighting a literal force throwing you off.

If the current Atari was smart they'd offer a deluxe package with everything you need to play the Atari games like you did back in the day meaning you get a limited turn radius paddle, or since Atari 2600 sold them like such. A pair of them, a spinner, a trackball and a no snapback joystick that's two dimensional.

You think the Nintendo Switch would be cheaper by using some plastic toy that you could insert the the joy-con in and have a virtual trackball, a virtual paddle, a virtual spinner, and a virtual 2D joystick with no snapback, with all the electronic movements supplied by the joy-con itself.    Kind of like a toy con except an actual video game controller that works like that.  Two of Nintendo toy cons were actually practical a steering wheel controller and 3D goggles.  Unfortunately for the goggles you had to put your hands in front of your face like you're holding a picture instead of your hands being free to do everything.

But still what's the point of releasing these Atari games if you can't get the Atari controllers right.

Controllers today are so generic.  I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about lack of paddles and spinners and trackballs and non centering joysticks for Atari compilations.  Hell Nintendo made a Sega Genesis controller for the switch, unfortunately a three button controller so why not Atari-Style controllers for the switch?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 6:25 AM, Atariboy said:

Hori & Hamster are in the early stages of developing a modular solution to the problem.

hori.original.png

I see they got a trackball and a spinner but they don't have a limited radius paddle.

Also like the fact that they have an ambidextrous joystick there as well as a twin stick for robotron.

The other thing they need to complete it is a non-centering joystick for 5200 games on Atari Flashback 3 that are best with it like 5200 Missile Command

With no software programmed to support a spinner, building one physically for a modern console platform only solves half the problem. An official solution though that at minimum will be guaranteed to be supported by applicable games in the massive Arcade Archives lineup, will be appealing.

And hopefully if Hori and Hamster's ambitions come to fruition, we'll see some other developers/publishers supporting those controllers with their own software offerings. I for one would love to see Code Mystics patch in support in their Atari Flashback Classics releases.

Although with a new Atari compilation from Digital Eclipse taking the spotlight, I'm not sure we'll see that even if Code Mystics would love to patch in support for arcade Tempest and the 2600's paddle games to use Hori's spinner, Missile Command to use the track-ball, etc. 

Edited by Atariboy

That HORI stuff looks Awesome!...

I don't trust Nintendo to get anything right though...I don't own a Switch,  but JoyCons look Awful and don't even have a D-PAD!  And the Pro Controller has a D-PAD in the WRONG Spot!   The only controllers I like for the Switch look to be the NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers...