IGNORED

ReWind, new demo by NG and Zelax

Philsan

14 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Stunning demo by New Generation and Zelax, first place at Lost Party 2022 (7-10 July 2022, Licheń Stary, Poland).

https://youtu.be/3s2vqN1jWgU

Requirements: Atari XL/XE, 1088KB

Wow - speechless!! Without giving too much away some way into the demo the Doom-esque FPS Raycasting segment is utterly amazing! Some great use of sound synthesis there too! Amazing achievement.:lust:

• Like 1

The whole demo shows it, and I wonder what happened?

Finally they seemed to understood. 

Higher FPS is much more worth than the visual resolution. 

They p--d and sh--t at me for my words, and now we see something "mindblowing". 

Special thanks to SWIETY , you really understood...

@Saint (Swiety)  Huge congrats on the new DOOM engine showcased in the Rewind demo. Amazing work!:lust: The red pallette really plays to the strengths of the A8's 16x lum graphics mode whilst maintaining the DOOM-esque hellish atmosphere.

A question: is it essentially a Raycasting engine?

2nd question:  I wonder if aside soldiers and imps we might be seeing other enemies?  I suspect not or maybe you are keeping things a surprise. To see a Baron of hell on an A8 - wow!!! :grin:

BTW to save me double posting I replied to the other thread with a possible suggestion (and a screen mock up), when the legend that is Ilmenit posted his suggestions.

See here:

Again thanks - amazing work!!!!

Edited by Beeblebrox

12 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

Great ray-caster!

However, maybe it is only me, but I find the height of the viewpoint sub-optimal. I have the impression you fight as a frog with giants... (independent from the aspect ratio)

Yes, you are correct. The same applies to original VicDoom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm2yDM2Fou8&t=902s - point of view is in the center of enemies. For me it's not that big issue as the aspect ratio, which turns open spaces into very narrow corridors. Anyways, it's amazing achievement.

it is not enough to properly prepare sprite textures along with mipmaping? The limitation will be the height of the sprite, effectively it cannot be higher than the wall, but it can be lower, and the same method can be used to make flying sprites, in addition, we will gain a higher resolution of the sprite in relation to the textures of the walls.

Wow! What a phantastic demo...

but only under emulation, since none of my real Ataris has more than 576k RAM.

@Swiety: So here is a weird request: Maybe you can split the full demo in two halves and a) pack them, so they fit on two 180k disksides b) make every half self-bootable (individually bootable) and c) as a result every half (of the demo) requires only 512k XRAM...?!?

Just made a small test and packed the full demo with Exomizer from 593k down to approx. 240k and the packed demo still works fine. So if you split the demo into two halves it should be possible to put it on two 180k disksides...

rew_pak.xex

• Like 1

@Saint (Swiety)  Can I ask a few DOOM related questions? (Feel free to answer (or not:grin:) any of the following:

Firstly do you plan on still releasing your excellent VICDOOM game you'd been working on as well as the new DOOM (128k and 64k flavour) engines? :grin:

Also, (and I may regret asking this as my brain is not that of a coder8)), but with the new DOOM engine how are you able to use the hybrid Raycasting/2D engine to also process textures AND lighting effects - and on a 1.77mhz 8-bit CPU in realtime?  Are you using any form of realtime texture compression for example?  I have a basic understanding of how raycasting works but your engine is very interesting and especially where you have Pokey music running similtaniously. Amazing achievement.

As I've mentioned before the work of Globe on his 128k 3D raycasting engine and the frame rates he has achivedare fantastic, (obviously without any enemies). Espcially with quick turn and run rates. I can't wait to see what you do with this engine and also optimising frame rates.

Great work!

7 hours ago, laoo said:

@CharlieChaplin Actually it wasn't packed on purpose - to speed-up loading on compo-machine, that loads data faster than it can be unpacked by 6502.

With a SIO device loading of 593k takes much longer than loading and depacking 240k.

(Assuming you also use standard XL-OS and 6502C.) Luckily there are carts like AVG, SIDE 1,2,3, etc.

8 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

With a SIO device loading of 593k takes much longer than loading and depacking 240k.

(Assuming you also use standard XL-OS and 6502C.) Luckily there are carts like AVG, SIDE 1,2,3, etc.

Nobody that has a 1MB machine is using SIO to fill it.  It's not like these demos use XBIOS :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Nobody that has a 1MB machine is using SIO to fill it.  It's not like these demos use XBIOS :)

You have not been at the Lost Party...  ;-)  where Rewind was released.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nzlVMGpWk3Q" title="Bring Back the Eighties - Blowjobb. Atari XL/XE demo.

(The demo does not require 1MB RAM, just an example that Atarians that do have 1MB RAM or more are still using SIO, even data recorders just for fun.)

• Like 6