IGNORED

Season 20 Round 14 - 1943 The Battle of Midway

asponge

I won't type what i'm feeling right now. I'll just put 5000 dollars in the swear jar.

I hate the games primarily. Too hard, not worth it.

I've so far had Ninja Gaiden, 1943 and a couple of others hand me my ass

Am i angry? not really, just resentful of others that are better skilled then me. 

So I might win in the future, I might not.

but you'll pick Ghosts n goblins or some other hard game right? No listening to my input?

ok, I'm fine with that

Edited by Frozone212
I suck at the NES but it's the fault of the devs, not me

5 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

die and restart

die and restart

DIE AND RESTART!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Why only 3 points? For christs sake!

I know this game is rough.

I always start by adding 3 points to offense. Then stage 2 I add a point to the special weapon timer. And then stage 3 I add another point to offense. Stages 4 and 5 I upgrade special weapons timer and then offense. Offense is now maxed out. Stage 6 I use the two points on defense and energy. Etc. I usually stick to the default gun but that might be a mistake when it comes to later stages. By stage 9 or 10 I'm really struggling to survive. I've reached stage 10 a few times this contest and it's hard as hell.

• Like 1

@Frozone212 Dude, this is a fun, no stakes club for a retro system. Playing here is a hobby, and your attitude this season brings the vibe down. Checking in on everyone's progress, competing, sharing memories and strategies...it should be fun to check this board. But it's significantly less so when you spam us with complaints. I love the friendly competition here, so let's keep it as such. Thanks.

• Like 4

Made it to stage 9.  Usually, I like to make it a point to finish these games, whenever possible, but not sure that's gonna happen with this one.  Only at Stage 9 and I see there's 23 stages in the game, based on the link asponge posted.

Also from that link, I see I'm a dumbass... this whole time, I've been collecting the POW icons thinking that it's supposed to increase my shot power (and wondering why it doesn't feel like it increased my shot power any) and feeling bummed out when I accidentally get the energy tank.  Now I see the Energy Tank is 3X better than POW and POW doesn't do squat to my firepower.  ?

I was like... "maybe it's not working because I've maxed out my offense or something"  ?

1943_823400.jpg.aeb0dbddc2f06ff98c748f0dc9ecf72a.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Made it to stage 9.  Usually, I like to make it a point to finish these games, whenever possible, but not sure that's gonna happen with this one.  Only at Stage 9 and I see there's 23 stages in the game, based on the link asponge posted.

There's actually 24 stages. The game doesn't have a password for the last stage, so you must continue from stage 23. The last stage is supposed to be the worst. I never made it that far. I gave up at stage 22 when I tried to beat this with passwords years ago.

I never truly got into shoot em up games tbh so 1943 is annoying. However, I do like it for what it is. Having to destroy ayako numerous times though is...weird

That's not to say I don't like them. I appreciate Gun Nac, Raiden and others. that's why 1943 for NES is so bizarre. It's so...so...plain. 

that's my nitpick though.

35 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I got a little farther (or is it further?) but scored a little worse.  Think I need to go back to playing it wrong.

Further.

Have you watched any videos (hint hint) for tips?  I used to get stuck on Mission 9 or 10.  You really gotta map out the stages, alternate using the charge attack for the bigger planes, and know when to use the lightning attack if you want to kick this game's ass.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I don't know what the "charge attack" is, and I am definitely stuck on level 10.  Oh well - score went a little higher to 888,900

image.thumb.png.d4703264bfbf87ffdca58b642c1e4bae.png

Hold down the fire button and release to deliver a much stronger charge attack. I'm surprised you haven't been using it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

I don't know what the "charge attack" is, and I am definitely stuck on level 10.  Oh well - score went a little higher to 888,900

image.thumb.png.d4703264bfbf87ffdca58b642c1e4bae.png

Like mbd mentioned, you hold down the shoot button to charge up a (powerful) laser attack.  After a second or two, you'll hear a sound telling you that the attack is ready to use.  For emulator users, make sure to either turn off turbo or assign it to an alternate button. 

If you can manage to max out the SW stats, then you'll have access to this same attack without having to charge it.  When you cycle through the POW, the icon for it is a cat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Finally broke a million. No cheats, no turbo, no special weapons upgrades other than timer. ?

Nice work.  On which Mission did you die?

Also, the additional special weapons are not necessarily upgrades.  It depends on your goal.  If you're playing for points, then 3-Way is (by far) the best choice for the majority of the game.

Just now, bubufubu said:

Nice work.  On which Mission did you die?

Also, the additional special weapons are not necessarily upgrades.  It depends on your goal.  If you're playing for points, then 3-Way is (by far) the best choice for the majority of the game.

Mission 12 boss. I didn't know it was going to be two ships at the end so I was left with no special attacks for the second one, great.

I wish I was better at beating Ayako I more quickly. I've gotten the 100% several times but it's usually 96% which makes a big point difference. Ayako II isn't any harder but I'm pretty depleted when I reach it, I'm happy to not die.

I also can never find the upgrade location in mission 9. I always miss it somehow.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, mbd39 said:

Hold down the fire button and release to deliver a much stronger charge attack. I'm surprised you haven't been using it.

I have been using an emulator with turbo mapped to a specific button.  I have used the single shot button sometimes, but I never held it down to charge up.  Although, I do remember doing that on 1943 arcade now that all of this has come out.

I have played most games only using the shotgun as a special weapon.  If I collect it 2x then it gives me the advantage of shotgun and straight shot.  I experimented with upgrading the special weapon and trying the others.  I assumed that if I collected a different SW 2x that there would also be some sort of combo weapon, but that didn't seem to be the case.  As a result, I tend to just prefer NOT putting any points in SW and going about my business keeping shotgun (plus straight shot) active for as long as possible.  That seemed to work ok for me until level 10 when I think that dodging the enemies just got too hard for me.  I ended up having a lot more collisions on 9 and 10 than any other level.

Oh well - round's over.  It is a fun game, but I definitely plateaued there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I have been using an emulator with turbo mapped to a specific button.  I have used the single shot button sometimes, but I never held it down to charge up.  Although, I do remember doing that on 1943 arcade now that all of this has come out.

I have played most games only using the shotgun as a special weapon.  If I collect it 2x then it gives me the advantage of shotgun and straight shot.  I experimented with upgrading the special weapon and trying to the others.  I assumed that if I collected a different SW 2x that there would also be some sort of combo weapon, but that didn't seem to be the case.  As a result, I tend to just prefer NOT putting any points in SW and going about my business keeping shotgun (plus straight shot) active for as long as possible.  That seemed to work ok for me until level 10 when I think that dodging the enemies just got to hard for me.  I ended up having a lot more collisions on 9 and 10 than any other level.

Oh well - round's over.  It is a fun game, but I definitely plateaued there.

Yeah. The game starts to become a real pain in the ass at level 9. I was only able to survive level 10 by putting more points into SW timer rather than energy and defense.

• Like 1

Some good looking scores here!  This is one of my favorites and I didn't get a chance to get a score in this round.  :thumbsdown:  I'm glad you all enjoyed it though.

Points Awarded:

mbd39         1,192,700   +25
wongojack       888,900   +20
Razzie.P        823,400   +17
fakecortex      300,400   +14
RuySan          245,300   +12
Dashopepper     218,600   +10

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, asponge said:

Some good looking scores here!  This is one of my favorites and I didn't get a chance to get a score in this round.  :thumbsdown:  I'm glad you all enjoyed it though.

Great pick. I really enjoyed this one.

• Like 1