IGNORED

Preparing to (hopefully) resurrect an NTSC 1084S-D1 monitor

x=usr(1536)

Last year, I acquired a non-working 1084S-D1 (NTSC) monitor.  Known symptoms are the usual broken switch, and a farting noise from both speakers that gradually goes down in volume if you hold the power switch in.  No picture (yet), but static can be felt on the screen after powering up.

My first question: since the Preh TV3 / ME5A switches that these use have essentially evaporated (or are priced beyond what I'm willing to pay), what are the current recommendations for an alternative switch?  I've seen a number of suggestions, but as those were all older I'm just checking to see what's hot in 2022.  FWIW, I did run across the repair instructions for these switches, but I'm keeping that as a last resort.

Second question: no picture and farting sound.  Not sure what's causing this one, and haven't been able to find anyone who had both symptoms with their monitor.  I understand that flybacks can be problematic in these, but I'm not certain how that would relate to the sound.  Any ideas?

Really looking forward to getting this going again - from what I've seen of them, they're really impressive little monitors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Second question: no picture and farting sound.

Solved the farting sound: it's something that the device I'm using as a composite signal generator (an Apex DT502 Digital TV Converter) was causing.  Evidently its audio output is slightly screwy, but as long as I know that that's the cause I can live with it.

So, at this point, the symptom is a completely black screen with no response to the controls.  I am testing over composite, with both CVBS switches set to CVBS (latched in).  Yellow RCA connector is on the yellow jack, white is on white, and red is on black as I'm not sending separate chroma / luma signals to the monitor.  Have not tried the RGB connector as I don't have anything to hand that can conveniently drive it.

Only known issue is the broken power switch; other things may become apparent once the cover is off.  Hopefully that will happen this weekend.

• Like 1

Oh, since you are in L.A., you can bring it to the September SCCAN meeting, and I can bring it to Ray Carlsen when I drive up to Washington state in October.  Then he can repair it.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobertB said:

Oh, since you are in L.A., you can bring it to the September SCCAN meeting, and I can bring it to Ray Carlsen when I drive up to Washington state in October.  Then he can repair it.

I certainly appreciate the offer, but the address under my avatar is an in-joke - it's the location of a place I liked to get lunch at when I lived in L.A. some years ago.  Might be a bit more difficult to get it to you now ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of time this afternoon, so opened the monitor up to take a look and see if anything immediately-apparent stood out.  Components and solder joints looked OK, but the neckboard was barely on the pins of the tube.

After taking care of that, I connected a video source (Digital TV converter) to the composite input, and was greeted with the following on power-up:

IMG_0681.thumb.jpg.47c3e77e26d8e6b24ad424c47f9c925f.jpg

So, success!  Of a sort, anyway.  Haven't tested audio yet, but it is at least displaying a picture even if it needs serious adjustment.

FWIW, monochrome mode also works:

IMG_0682.thumb.jpg.bb14ec171c3bd6c50cd5a7e35e8b4d02.jpg

Does anyone have recommendations as to where to start next?  I'm not familiar with this particular monitor, and finding documentation specific to the D1 model hasn't been easy.