IGNORED

Apart from Lotus what other good 2.5D games on ST?

Title says it all, on Amiga there was never really anything like zero frame drops Lotus II on my A1000 in 1991 but some came close to that sort of framerate i.e. like Lotus III on A500/1000. Wonder if it's the same for the ST.

I didn't have an ST for that long but I think from memory the driving stage of Batman on the ST is not that different to the Amiga version. Continental Circus and Chase HQ have a horrendously naff looking road routine, other than that can't think of anything like Lotus.

(already mentioned F1 on ST/Amiga is brilliant before)

• 4 months later...

I was looking at the flying/driving sections of Batman again and they are quite impressive for the time. Not quite Lotus II on the ST but then nothing else was that good technically. It even has parallax backgrounds which must waste some CPU time. Such an odd thing not to use, or continue using, this routine for the superior looking previews of Chase HQ printed in magazines before we got the completely different released version. 

The speed of Continental Circus is pretty good, I just don't like the LEGO levels of blockyness on their road routine when hills are mapped into the road but it's certainly no slouch.

Super Hang-on isn't as bad as I remember it, have to check out Enduro Racer.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, jefffulton said:

Crazy Cars 3 (I know, I didn't expect it either) and Honda RVF and  Sprite Based an work really well on a standard ST.   

RVF Honda was pretty good indeed, I remember playing it regularly at some point. 

Buggy Boy was good as well

Buggy Boy is not fun, due to some lag in processing the graphics vs controller input the buggy flies off the screen left/right if you hold the joystick a millisecond too long. annoying. 

theshadowsnose didn't believe me that both the 16bit versions are poor cousins to the best 8bit version, checked it out on real hardware on youtube, finally agreed with me lol. you should check out the video just for laughs.

Never played Eliminator, have to check that out.

9 hours ago, oky2000 said:

Buggy Boy is not fun, due to some lag in processing the graphics vs controller input the buggy flies off the screen left/right if you hold the joystick a millisecond too long. annoying. 

Wow, all of those hours of me playing Buggy Boy on my ST must have been a false memory then.

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

Wow, all of those hours of me playing Buggy Boy on my ST must have been a false memory then.

I played it on the C64, and it certainly doesn't have touchy controls like the ST and Amiga. I played it a few weeks ago for my channel, it is a poor port on the 16bits when it should be better in every way to the C64 port (coded by a genius).

It's OK if you make minor adjustments left/right on the ST/Amiga but once you need to change more than half a lane the lag of updating the new position of all the graphics as the road shifts does affect the handling hence you lose all finesse, it's inconsistent like inertia (which is not present on the arcade) it is 100% crap coding.

This is not my channel. This was someone who didn't believe me so had to test it out. He happened to choose the ST version to compare. This is real hardware too with a standard joystick so nothing to do with Windows burps or emulation issues or using PC cursor keys with emulators. True retro gaming fans objectively appreciate when an 8bit game is done better. 

Edited by oky2000
added YT link

You're free to dislike it and the C64 version was very good indeed (although less faithful to the Arcade version than the ST version IMHO), but I would definitely not call it "100% crap coding". It's just false and disrespectful.

I remember Buggy Boy had pretty good reviews when it was released on the ST:

buggyboy.jpg

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Buggy Boy back in the day.  Once I got the feel for the controls, I remember playing it quite a bit.  Well, my expectations are a little different than some - I just like a good, fun game, eh I know that is subjective but oh well.  I have a friend at the local dollar store (younger guy) and he won't play any game less than 60FPS on full settings.  I just shake my head the way he talks about games haha.

• Like 1

A couple of hours' play on ST Buggy Boy yesterday (via emulation) and I'd completed the Offroad course (the easiest of the five, and the only one that's laps rather than A-B) and was getting to the third of the five stages on the other four, so my main concern with 68000 Buggy Boy is that it may be a bit easy to complete. Can't say I noticed anything iffy about the controls.