IGNORED

ColecoVision video output - what's good?

5-11under

If you needed to purchase a ColecoVision, what video output would you purchase?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If you needed to purchase a ColecoVision, what video output would you purchase?

• RF (stock)
    • Composite
    • YPbPr Component
    • Ready for VGA (F18A)
    • I just need the shell
    • None of the above, other, ???

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/30/2022 at 07:00 PM

It looks like I have about 16 ColecoVision consoles taking up space here, and they're not likely to be required for other projects. :(

I really don't know the condition of the insides and even outside, but if there's some that could be made to work, I don't really know what people are looking for. I could keep them as stock RF, or do a simple composite mod, or add one of my YPbPr/Component mods. Otherwise, I could prepare it for use for an F18A.

Please don't PM on this, because it might take a long time to get working on these... I just want to get an idea of what people would be looking for. Thanks!

• Like 1

RGB is a sensibly priced and really good option especially with a console like mine that had a dreadful picture, even over composite.

S-Video is possible but a bit involved to do. Output is really good, though you get some jailbars on blues we've found.

F18A is absolutely stunning with a VGA CRT and has bonuses as it doesn't have sprite flicker and it's scan-lines in that scenario are very natural. Easily the best option, but it comes at a cost and they're hard to get hold of.

On 7/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, rietveld said:

What about an Adam repack into a Baby AT case?   

The repack thing was pretty big back in the early 90s.   I have seen a lot but never an Adam 

It was done in the 90s by Thomas Electronics….

http://adamarchive.org/archive/Miscellaneous/ADAM User Mods Pics/

I almost bought it 10 or so years ago from Bob Slopsema, but ended up taking a pass. I don’t know who eventually bought it.

Thomas also converted an old PC keyboard for use on the ADAM or his ADAM PC.