IGNORED

FujiNet config tool for SpartaDOS X cart testing request

Hi! I've recently bought a FujiNet Budget Edition, so I'm going to try to make myself useful to the project.

The official FujiNet SpartaDOS X image doesn't contain config.com because it's larger than the 8kB maximum file size.  @flashjazzcat suggested splitting it into overlay files no larger than 8kB and making a wrapper to load and run them, so I've done that. Unfortunately, I'm away from my Ataris at the moment.

The only thing I've been able to test is that the program starts when run from a disk image on an emulator, but Atari800MacX doesn't emulate FujiNet (yet?) so I'm stuck until I get access to real hardware. Since I'm impatient to know if it works or not I thought it might be a good idea to offer it up on the forum for other people to try: fnconfig.zip

Instructions:

1. unpack the zip file
  2. copy the fnconfig.com and fnconf?.ovl files to an SDX cartridge (or to disk, in which case they all have to be in the same directory)
  3. use "atr +h" to hide the .ovl files
  4. run fnconfig.com
  5. please let me know if it works or not

Thanks!

Edited by Eyvind Bernhardsen
Corrected the product name
  • Like 3

Hi @Eyvind Bernhardsen, @tschak909,

Could this be changed so that it works on a 16K Atari, that is, the paging is done (via SIO) to an 8K RAM block, such as $2000 - $3FFF? If this could be automated, then you could build an ATR that boots the normal FujiNet config program on 32K+ machines, and boots the overlay version on 16K machines.  Actually, it might be doable via CIO if you're using a small DOS like LiteDOS or MyPicoDOS. Would be nice if this was handled as part of the build process.

Hi @E474,

Unfortunately this wrapper doesn’t support run-time loading, and the splitting is done on 8kB file boundaries without regard to what code is in which block. 

What you’re suggesting would require some major changes in the config program code. I can’t say it won’t happen, but I don’t think my efforts here will help that effort in any way.

Hi @Eyvind Bernhardsen,

OK, actually I think it would probably end up as some horrible type of 8-bit thrashing with 8K blocks of code being paged in from the ATR almost constantly. I'm sure this would be doable with hand-crafted code, but that would probably entail redoing it in Assembly, and paging in modules based on self contained functionality. Probably something for cooler weather.

OK, I'm back with my Ataris, and the first thing I discovered when trying to make an SDX image is that the file size limit is 8176 bytes instead of 8192 as I'd assumed. That was easy to fix, so here's a 192kB SDX 4.49 image that includes fnconfig: fnconfig-withrom.zip 

I haven't added any other fujinet utilities to the image, but the individual fnconfig files are in the archive if you want to put them in your own rom.