IGNORED

My IIgs died!

KG7PFS

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:_(

I finaly had a place to set it up. Everything was ready. I was going to start backing up some disks. I booted from the ProDOS 8 disk because the GS-OS disk demands a driver for the UniDisk 3.5. (I also have one non-UniDisk 3.5). The menu was on the screen, all ready to get started. Everything was going so well.

A few random characters appeared. I knew that wasn't good. Then it wouldn't respond to the keyboard.

I tried to restart it. Nothing. The green light turns on, but no sound, no picture, no attempt to boot.

What happened?

11 minutes ago, H454 said:

But you get a light on the cpu or no?

Yes, a green light on the CPU.

10 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Possible the power supply inside with the caps went.  If you smelled burning, it's likely possible that caps need replacing.

I didn't smell burning.

The rifa caps can go out without the pop / smoke.

The best place to start is to verify the voltage output  from the PS.

This is the best info I can find right now.

(+12v):      Yellow (sometimes White with Orange Stripe)

(+5v): Orange

(Ground):  Black

(Ground):  Black

(-12v):       Green (sometimes White with Blue Stripe)

(-5v):   Blue

My not be in order.

Got info from here:

https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Universal_PSU_Kit#Kit_Installation:_Enclosure_606-5001_and_Others

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Keatah said:

Well now that you fixed it. You start exploring the software base.

You didn't read what I said. I fixed my multimeter. NOT my Apple IIgs. The Apple power supply is producing the correct voltages. The computer is still dead. If you can't pay any closer attention than that then you've been playing too many video games.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Could read it either way. A comma would have tied the fixed action to the multimeter. Because, otherwise, you found your multimeter and it was instrumental in fixing the power supply which is now working. And therefore the computer.

The power supply is working. The computer is not. Does anyone (exept Keatah) have an idea where I should start looking for the problem?

1 minute ago, eightbit said:

What ROM version is it? How does the clock battery look?

It's ROM 1, the clock battery looked fine but I removed it just in case and ordered a AA holder from reactive Micro. There is no battery in it now.

Just now, KG7PFS said:

It's ROM 1, the clock battery looked fine but I removed it just in case and ordered a AA holder from reactive Micro. There is no battery in it now.

IIRC (its been a long time since I have owned a IIgs) it should work fine sans battery. 

I would remove any cards from the machine just to rule out some other hardware failure causing this not to boot. Other than that, really inspect for leaking or popped caps. 

It could be something else just "went" like the CPU or some other component. It is decades old afterall. Hopefully diagnosing this does not give you too much of a headache.

8 hours ago, frankodragon said:

It might be also the disk drive(s) connected.  Try booting the machine without the drives plugged in.

I tried it with *everything* disconnected, all boards removed. It's definitely something on the main board.

I have a iigs with a similar tale and end result.  I'm finally at a point where I can get it on the workbench to look at.  The power supply voltages look good and voltages at the major spots (CPU, Ram) look good.  I'll let you know if I figure out what happened after some more checking with the scope.  Hopefully it's not anything proprietary. 

• 1 month later...

I finally got out from under a deadline at work and started investigating mine.  It's looking like mine is a goner -- comparing to a friend's working board, the MEGA II looks like it has an internal short.  So I'm in the market for a new IIgs board if anyone happens to see a good deal on one.

Sorry I couldn't give you any better news or anything else specific to look at.  I got to where I was by looking for RAM activity  and checking and tracing back from there until I, unfortunately, got back to the Apple II on a chip.  I spent an hour checking resistance between pins on it until I found a short on mine that didn't exist on the working board.  I desoldered it from the board and the short was still there.  I'll see if I can find my scratch paper where I wrote down which pins it was but when I checked this morning it appears to have been moved/recycled.

1 hour ago, GrenMag said:

I finally got out from under a deadline at work and started investigating mine.  It's looking like mine is a goner -- comparing to a friend's working board, the MEGA II looks like it has an internal short.  So I'm in the market for a new IIgs board if anyone happens to see a good deal on one.

I happen to have a ROM 3 board that I got a few years ago, with the thought of swapping out the ROM 1 board in my GS. Never got around to it so I've never done anything with the board. Since I've never tried swapping it into my GS I have no idea if it is good or bad but you are welcome to it if you want it.

magnus