IGNORED

The aka list

Some people doesn't find some games just because know them with different title than it is where looking for.

So, I think that it is time to put together aka list of Atari ST games.  All known titles in row, with little space between them, for 1 game.

She-Fox    Vixen

Nitro Boost Challenge     Super Stuntman

Buggy Boy     Speed Buggy

Formula 1 Grand Prix    -  some came with title:  Microprose World Circuit  - no such at Atarimania. Was it distributed in USA with it ?

Please don't come here with titles in other than English language. Of course that there is lot of it. That's not the point of this thread.

I expect that will be more than 10 .

• Like 1

New list:

Here to note that we have opposite case too: Different games with same title, so need to add publisher too

Another World     aka     Out Of This World    - second  not  present at atarimania

Barbarian (Palace)     aka     Death Sword     - I will not write full names here at this stage .

Barbarian 2 (Palace)    aka      Axe of Rage

Buggy Boy       aka    Speed Buggy

E-Motion      aka      Game of Harmony, The    -   The goes to end because of sorting

Galdregon's Domain          here it's getting interesting:    aka      Death Bringer (Spotlight SW) .

At  atarimania is error - there writes that Deathbringer (as Death Bringer there) from Empire is Galdreg... with different title - wrong. And I knew it, as I remember well both games from all those hours I spent with them .

So, need to be precise, accurate, like by programming - one little detail, letter diff. may mean another game .

Nebulus                aka        Tower Toppler

Nitro Boost Challenge         aka        Super Stuntman

Pipe Mania           aka             Pipe Dream 

She-Fox             aka              Vixen

Slap Fight            aka            Alcon

StarRay -- UK,  aka "Star Moon" -- Italy   aka   Revenge Of Defender-USA  - latest 2 not present at atarimania

Warlock's Quest             aka            as just Warlock in the USA.

Lostdragon: thanx for contribution.  I would like to hear your references  and publishers of those pretty unknown releases .

• Thanks 1

Raffles  (Edge)  aka   Devon Aire and the Hidden Diamond Caper  (Epyx)

Battleships (Ocean)  aka  Battleship (Epyx)   (subtle,  I think Epyx got the 'Battleship'S license)

Sentinel     aka     Sentry

Summer Olympiad (Tynesoft)  aka  Summer Challenge (Thunder Mountain)

Winter Olympiad  aka  Winter Challenge

International Karate aka World Karate Championship (Epyx)  

Here's a few that don't have multiple names on ST, but are named different than other platforms

Ninja Mission   aka   'Ninja' on other platforms

Masterblazer   aka   Ball Blazer on other platforms  

• Like 1

Not a footy fan but seem to remember.. 

World Cup Italia '90   in UK became  World Championship Soccer in USA? 

We also had:

Shadow Warriors -- European title 

Ninja Gaiden in USA. 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in the UK, 

Myth:History In The Making. System 3 (never finished on ST) Conan in USA? know the NES version was. 

The Chaos Engine became Soldiers of Fortune in the USA. 

Not 100% sure on this one... 

Cluedo: Master Detective in UK, would that of been Clue:Master Detective in the USA?. 

Driller in UK became Space Station Oblivion in the USA. 

Edited by Lostdragon

9 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Me too.

I think it was just renamed Soldiers of Fortune for the SNES and Genesis.

Ahhh did wonder if it was just the console versions, only had first had experience with the MD version, sloppy port that was as well

Scratch that one from the ST list then. 

16 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Me too.

I think it was just renamed Soldiers of Fortune for the SNES and Genesis.

That used to annoy me, I see the imported ST games with really cool names only to have them changed to lamer ones when they come on the 16-bit consoles in the States.

My personal favorite was The Killing Game Show becoming Fatal Rewind... :roll:

Edited by MrMaddog

17 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

That used to annoy me, I see the imported ST games with really cool names only to have them changed to lamer ones when they come on the 16-bit consoles in the States.

My personal favorite was The Killing Game Show becoming Fatal Rewind... :roll:

Good shout. 

The Killing Game Show name  always reminded me of Climbing For Dollars from The Running Man

Fatal Rewind by comparison was just such a lame title ?

• Like 1

Newer list:

Here to note that we have opposite case too: Different games with same title, so need to add publisher too

Another World     aka     Out Of This World    - second  not  present at atarimania

Barbarian (Palace)     aka     Death Sword     - I will not write full names here at this stage .

Barbarian 2 (Palace)    aka      Axe of Rage

Battleships (Ocean)     aka     Battleship (Epyx)

Buggy Boy       aka    Speed Buggy

Driller       aka      Space Station Oblivion

E-Motion      aka      Game of Harmony, The    -   The goes to end because of sorting

Galdregon's Domain          here it's getting interesting:    aka      Death Bringer (Spotlight SW) .

At  atarimania is error - there writes that Deathbringer (as Death Bringer there) from Empire is Galdreg... with different title - wrong. And I knew it, as I remember well both games from all those hours I spent with them .

So, need to be precise, accurate, like by programming - one little detail, letter diff. may mean another game .

International Karate           aka      World Karate Championship (Epyx)   

Nebulus                aka        Tower Toppler

Nitro Boost Challenge         aka        Super Stuntman

Pipe Mania           aka             Pipe Dream 

Pro tennis tour     aka     Great Courts

Pro tennis tour II     aka      Great Courts II

Raffles    aka   Devon Aire ...  Devon Aire and the Hidden Diamond Caper  (Epyx)

Sentinel      aka       Sentry

She-Fox             aka              Vixen

Slap Fight            aka            Alcon

Summer Olympiad (Tynesoft)      aka     Summer Challenge (Thunder Mountain)

StarRay -- UK,  aka "Star Moon" -- Italy   aka   Revenge Of Defender-USA  - latest 2 not present at atarimania

Warlock's Quest             aka            as just Warlock in the USA.

Winter Olympiad        aka      Winter Challenge

World Cup Soccer Italia 1990          aka        World Trophy Soccer

That would be 23 games with different English titles, published Atari ST family versions, so far.

I did not add all posted here - for instance at atarimania UK and US versions of Cluedo ... have same title. Then, Teenage Turtles has 2 parts, and second is with different name. Well, maybe there were some less known releases accessible only in limited areas, shops. Would be good to give more details about such.

And I find it strange that Eu, UK release has word soccer instead football - it is known that they hate it ?  Then, it seems that in USA word Olympiad is 'hated' .  And it looks that Epyx is firm which liked to give unique titles to games which they distributed.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:09 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I did pick up a copy of "StarRay" in the US,  and that's what it was called.   Never heard of "Revenge of Defender" before,  but I did find cover art of Revenge of Defender at mobygames.    Hmmm,  Epyx yet again..   starting to sense a pattern here :) 

image.png.7ae2575f11ca0478821cde5095efa14d.png

Yes, but that's for C64 version. Really don't want to deal here with titles for non Atari ST platforms. Goal is to have list of all published Atari ST family games, with alternative titles in English (and that is what is often used for non-English releases too, in diverse countries).

That will help people to locate specific games easier, to make more complete game starter APPs .

8 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Yes, but that's for C64 version. Really don't want to deal here with titles for non Atari ST platforms. Goal is to have list of all published Atari ST family games, with alternative titles in English (and that is what is often used for non-English releases too, in diverse countries).

That will help people to locate specific games easier, to make more complete game starter APPs .

The Atari Legends site lists it as being released on ST without much information, but I don't recall ever seeing it under that name

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Another World was ever released as Out of This World in North America for the ST.  It seemed like it was an import title in the US for the ST.  I've never seen Out of This World for the ST anyways back in the day at retail or all these years on eBay. 

Strike Force Harrier was released in North America by Midscape, initially as High Roller and then Harrier Combat Simulator. 

Dragon's Breath was released by Cinemaware in North America and called Dragon Lord.