IGNORED

Adventures of the Stalk of Celery (Channel F)

atari2600land

I'm back working on this. I'm going back to the gnome idea. I don't know how this is going to work out, but hopefully it will.

0131.png.d85fd06498dee6af9d89940d9336f33c.png

I am wondering though, how to draw the gnome with two colors. Is what I have in the binary file good enough? Since it's white and red, it sort of looks like it's trying to make a pink color there. Where is that flash cart already?

celery32.bin

• Like 1

I made the gnome drawing way better. It's still a little imperfect but still better than it was. I thought them jumping out of the hole looked a bit awkward, so I made them be on raising and lowering platforms instead.

0135.png.0c38347922e00e30bf0767645781bbc7.png

EDIT: Somewhere along the line the title screen music quit looping. I fixed that.

celery33.bin

• Like 1

The "Gnome hatter what." isn't playable yet? Or did I not manage to press the right key?

The menu feels awkward as it continues on controller release rather than the activation. This is not the case in-game.
Is there (going to be) a "campaign mode" as well, where you play all of them in a row?

• Like 1

OK, I made a few changes.

• Game does not start immediately after choosing it from the menu.
  • To go back to the menu, when a game ends, pull up on the controller.
  • Made some more changes to the menu.

0137.png.aced501b62661aef9072b589b0b935d2.png

I am wondering why the game is only 30kb instead of 32kb. I put the signature beginning byte $7ff0. How does that add up to only 30 kb?

celery35.bin

• Like 1

It's become clear the gnome thing is not going to work. So I scaled the game back down to five games. This makes the menu screen look better. But I don't know if I can come up with another idea for a game, so it may just be 5.

I enhanced the "Island Is Land" game, making the celery speed up a couple of times.

0138.png.837fcf2e30ec6093ab11ddb4b616c538.png

celery36.bin

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, atari2600land said:

The problem was when the player was pressing right the game slowed down compared to not pressing anything.

Put a delay loop in when not pressing right and/or speed up the right pressing part (smaller graphic parts will help).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought of a new minigame to replace the non-working idea of the gnomes. This one I call "Eating Celery." Only it's Mr. Celery that's doing the eating. It will be a lot like my game "Yum!" which I had made for the Sega Game Gear (and attempted a lot earlier on the Channel F if anyone remembers.) Food is zooming towards Mr. Celery's mouth. You eat the good food and close your mouth for the bad food. I plan to have the good food be cranberries and the bad food be icky unripe green cranberries. Or perhaps I should reverse that since red usually means stop and green usually means go. All you can do so far is open Mr. Celery's mouth by moving up and close it by moving down. Again, tell me if that should be changed.

celerylevel6.png.4b8bb5af948db5c73a9ad9c36253fc59.png

celery37.bin

• Thanks 1

The single pill version feels smoother. 
Like the looks of Mr. Celery - nicely done. 
If the mouth is closed there should perhaps not be a blue line but instead a solid green area - like it is before you press a button. 
... or there should be a blue line when first drawn instead of showing up after you press the button.  ;)

If you want to level up/down you could move celery to left or right. There's also the option of using all three background lt.green, lt.blue or gray for the pill color.
So, room left if you want to jack it up. ;)

Really neat, looks better than you Channel F yum. 

• Like 1

Added a few things.

• Cranberries now move at three speeds. Let me know if fast is too fast.
  • I remembered how to use the Random feature, so all the cranberries' colors should now be random
  • and in the menu. If you go back to it, the game that you last visited is highlighted instead of it always starting at the top.

@e5frog Would you like to publish this game when it's completed?

celery40.bin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atari2600land said:

@e5frog Would you like to publish this game when it's completed?

@atari2600land
I just finished all orders I have, just packing and shipping left to do so I have been thinking of what project to take on next, maybe I'll be able to turn a profit on the next one.  :)
This might be a nice one, perhaps it would be possible to add in some more games, maybe we could add the ones from @Mikebloke - as a hidden Easter Egg? :D

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:02 AM, atari2600land said:

Added a few things.

• Cranberries now move at three speeds. Let me know if fast is too fast.
  • I remembered how to use the Random feature, so all the cranberries' colors should now be random

celery40.bin 30 kB · 3 downloads

It's possible to leave it playing with mouth open and get over 50 pts, maybe totally random isn't that fun with just two options. 

Another detail is that it ends when two pixels from Celery, like there's an invisible force field. ;)
It could go as far as four pixels further causing a temporary "splat" over the mouth if it's a red one and in between the teeth if mouth is open.

If spicing it up there could be swallowing as well, maybe a pause and a sad sound when loosing a "life".
Is there a particular goal? Apart from trying to roll the counter over from 999999 to 000000, which might take maybe two months or so if you play 8h per day. 

If setting up a championship with these small games, set limits to each and allow multiple players taking turns - I could see it as good fun. 
Selecting the individual games would serve as training, it's very "stamina based". 

Love the games, I think they could be expanded/worked on some more to increase the fun. 

SHIT: When it speeds up - it really speeds up. First increase could come a little earlier - or spice things up and mix the speeds.

Edited by e5frog
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...