IGNORED

NEW Lego Atari 2600 set

H454

2 minutes ago, bradhig1 said:

a four switch unit.  I wonder why didn't do a six switch one?

I was wondering this as well, especially as they are calling it the "VCS" not the 2600.  Possibly Atari wanted to capitalize on the "VCS" name since they are using that for their modern console?

..Al

15 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Looking at some of the other $100-and-up sets, the price is about in line for a set with over 2500 pieces in it.

It's nifty, but as much of a Lego whore as I am, I'd rather put the money into actual Atari stuff.

The Ecto 1 is 2352 pieces and that retailed for $199.99 new. You can find for as low as $169.99.

I could see the stating price at $199. especially because it looks like very few specialty pieces.

22 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

a four switch unit.  I wonder why didn't do a six switch one?

22 hours ago, Albert said:

I was wondering this as well, especially as they are calling it the "VCS" not the 2600.  Possibly Atari wanted to capitalize on the "VCS" name since they are using that for their modern console?

..Al

I think its for a couple of reasons.

1. Size- I don't think 2 more switches would fit. And it has a diorama under the cover.

2. I think the 4 switch Is more recognizable. I didn't even know the sixer's existed until 10+ years ago. So, more recognizable to general public?

Production wise, maybe 60 to 80% of the full size 2600 were 4 switchers? (I don't know anything certain - someone will push up their nerd glasses and put some kind stats up.)

3. It may have been too "busy" design wise.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:14 AM, Albert said:

Why not both?  :D

It's not something I do, but I have a friend who buys new LEGO sets (in quantity, but not a ton) and holds them until they are no longer available.  If you have a lot of storage, you can make some serious money doing this, as most sets (especially the more expensive and sought-after sets) will jump quite a bit in value over time.  Especially unopened sets.

..Al

Well of course anyone is free to do whatever they want...  but as with video games, buying and holding a limited item with the intent to only resell it just deprives someone from actually enjoying the item at retail price.  That seems to be standard operation procedure for a lot of people (NES Classics, PS5 consoles, whatever) and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth... but that's just my take.

Sure, I could buy one myself and resell it later, but I feel that's just taking advantage of another Atari fan.  (Plus, I can't imagine having it in my hands and NOT opening and building it!)  I think $240 is too much to pay for this kit now, but it's even more depressing to think of some future someone who's ok with paying even more than that later.

Just now, glazball said:

Well of course anyone is free to do whatever they want...  but as with video games, buying and holding a limited item with the intent to only resell it just deprives someone from actually enjoying the item at retail price.  That seems to be standard operation procedure for a lot of people (NES Classics, PS5 consoles, whatever) and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth... but that's just my take.

It's not something I personally agree with, to be sure, nor something I have done myself.  I doubt a very significant percentage of LEGO sets are purchased with this intent, but it's going to be inevitable as obviously LEGO cannot manufacture every set (even popular ones) indefinitely.  And because many out-of-print sets go up in value, sometimes rather significantly, it's only natural that people are going to capitalize on it. 

Anyone who wants a LEGO set while they are still in production should be able to relatively easily buy that set either from lego.com or in a LEGO store.  I've never had a problem getting a set, even though some sell out rather quickly each time they come back into stock (like Titanic, I missed it when it was first on sale, but just signed up to be notified when it was back in stock, and once I got the email, I was able to order it).  It's not really the same as what's going on with game consoles, where it's damn near impossible to get a console, at least partially due to the scalpers.

Just now, glazball said:

Sure, I could buy one myself and resell it later, but I feel that's just taking advantage of another Atari fan.  (Plus, I can't imagine having it in my hands and NOT opening and building it!)  I think $240 is too much to pay for this kit now, but it's even more depressing to think of some future someone who's ok with paying even more than that later.

Yeah, realistically, the $240 is probably the lowest you're going to see this set sell for, although used sets without the box might go for less down the road. That's just the nature of LEGO sets, at least ones that appeal to a large number of people. And, yeah, it does suck how expensive LEGO sets are, they are just printing plastic money in massive quantities.  But people keep buying them at these prices, so they really have no incentive to reduce their pricing.

..Al

19 hours ago, H454 said:

2. I think the 4 switch Is more recognizable. I didn't even know the sixer's existed until 10+ years ago. So, more recognizable to general public?

Production wise, maybe 60 to 80% of the full size 2600 were 4 switchers? (I don't know anything certain - someone will push up their nerd glasses and put some kind stats up.)

Is it?   All my friends had 6-switches.   I was the odd kid who got a 4-switch,  because we got ours later.   So to me 6 switch seems more iconic, but  who knows?

19 hours ago, Albert said:

Anyone who wants a LEGO set while they are still in production should be able to relatively easily buy that set either from lego.com or in a LEGO store.  I've never had a problem getting a set, even though some sell out rather quickly each time they come back into stock (like Titanic, I missed it when it was first on sale, but just signed up to be notified when it was back in stock, and once I got the email, I was able to order it).  It's not really the same as what's going on with game consoles, where it's damn near impossible to get a console, at least partially due to the scalpers.

Yeah,  I've never had much trouble getting a current set either.   Sure when they go out of stock temporarily the scalpers immediately jump in with inflated prices.    But just have patience and don't give into the impulse of "OMG I gotta have it before the price goes up even further"

Same with consoles.   Only took me 3 days to land a PS5 at retail price when I set my mind down to it. 

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Is it?   All my friends had 6-switches.   I was the odd kid who got a 4-switch,  because we got ours later.   So to me 6 switch seems more iconic, but  who knows?

There are definitely more four-switch consoles out there, no doubt about that.  But there are still plenty of heavy and light-sixers in existence, and they definitely are the more "iconic" versions of the VCS/2600 since they came first, and I have no doubt that moving the difficulty switches to the back of the unit was a cost saving measure.  Doesn't really matter too much to me which version LEGO decided to use, as long as it wasn't the 2600 Jr.! 

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yeah,  I've never had much trouble getting a current set either.   Sure when they go out of stock temporarily the scalpers immediately jump in with inflated prices.    But just have patience and don't give into the impulse of "OMG I gotta have it before the price goes up even further"

LEGO also makes it clear on their site when a set is discontinued and you better buy one while you can.  I somehow missed buying the Star Wars UCS (Ultimate Collectors Series) A-Wing and when I realized this, looked at LEGO's store.  Not available online, but I did see one at a local store in Austin.  Didn't go that day to buy it, but was going to the next day and it was already out of stock.  Amazingly, I was able to find one at Target.com and ordered it from there, still for the same retail price.  Resellers were already inflating the price since it was out of stock on LEGO's site. 

..Al

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

Could that be done with parts off the shelf though?

Absolutely, depending on the level of...fidelity you want in reproducing the original console.  You would need to print your own stickers, though..

Gemini_Console.jpg

The controller might be more challenging than the console.  :)

..Al

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Albert said:

Absolutely, depending on the level of...fidelity you want in reproducing the original console.  You would need to print your own stickers, though..

Gemini_Console.jpg

The controller might be more challenging than the console.  :)

..Al

I was thinking the controller would be the easiest part.    It's boxy,  and I have a black lego round spinner that's about the right size for the paddle

• Like 1