IGNORED

NEW Lego Atari 2600 set

H454

5 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Make it a Columbia system and then you'll have some REAL value! "ultra rare LQQK"

Someone should make a blue T-handled cart for these too..... ?

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284642273548?hash=item424600690c:g:QsEAAOSwC3lhnsFB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Please post some photos once you build the Gemini and controller(s)!  :)

..Al

Gemini Controllers with two different joystick handle styles (USB powered! :D ) 

built with whatever parts I happened to have laying around

image.thumb.png.fce2876d5481d6c6c963e12be3bd4055.png

image.thumb.png.783c73f51c0b66b18169b3fea07c7e69.png

Edited by zzip
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, zzip said:

Gemini Controllers with two different joystick handle styles (USB powered! :D) 

built with whatever parts I happened to have laying around

Very nice!  If you could make the white portion (above and below the gray), that would be awesome!  I think the thicker joystick works better.

..Al

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

If you could make the white portion (above and below the gray), that would be awesome!

I'll get to it after building the in-console diorama.   I'm thinking it should involve a couple of frown-faced kids sitting around a tree, sad because Santa didn't bring them a 'real' VCS :P

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

I think the thicker joystick works better.

I do too.   I found the pieces to build that one at the last minute

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Atarian7 said:

Already on eBay for around $400. 

Geesh, you weren't kidding, I wonder if they do this with every new set that comes out.  It's still available on LEGO's website, although I'm sure it will go into backorder status at some point.  LEGO will keep restocking it, though.

..Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrekMD said:

Wow, some are already listed for close to $500!  People don't waste time!

I have no doubt that many of these overpriced sets will sell.  Too many people simply don't do any research and will just impulse purchase something like this.  This is why there are copies of Halo 2600 on eBay for over $100, when you can buy it brand new in the AtariAge Store for $50 (boxed). 

..Al

On 8/1/2022 at 7:22 AM, Albert said:

Just a reminder that the LEGO Atari 2600 set went on sale today!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/atari-2600-10306

Well... I bought one. I don't go in for the super-pricey Lego sets (in fact, its been years since I built anything Lego, and those were all small sets - mostly Star Wars fighters), and I do wish it were a six-switch (or had optional parts to make it a six-switch or Vader), but it's still a pretty cool looking set, and much like jigsaw puzzles, I'll enjoy the process of putting it together... then taking it apart and leaving it in the box. ;)  But maybe I'll find some space to display it, somewhere.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Well... I bought one. I don't go in for the super-pricey Lego sets (in fact, its been years since I built anything Lego, and those were all small sets - mostly Star Wars fighters), and I do wish it were a six-switch (or had optional parts to make it a six-switch or Vader), but it's still a pretty cool looking set, and much like jigsaw puzzles, I'll enjoy the process of putting it together... then taking it apart and leaving it in the box. ;)  But maybe I'll find some space to display it, somewhere.

I'm going to swap one of the 2600 consoles in the AtariAge booth at PRGE for one of these new LEGO sets.

..Al

(no, not really, but it would be amusing).

• Haha 4

On 7/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

It's nifty, but as much of a Lego whore as I am, I'd rather put the money into actual Atari stuff.

As I don‘t have a real 4-switch VCS (nor a Vader) I‘d rather add the Lego set than another real unit (which would sit unused anyway with a 7800 around for actual play). Need to start negotiations with Mrs. slx about budget and display space. 

Waiting until the set becomes available through dealers or at least until Lego gives double or triple VIP points might make sense (the latter only for frequent buyers). 

• Like 1

My wife bought me one and it arrived yesterday.  I didn't have a VCS back in the day, but the dimensions of the box seem about right for what the original might have been in, which caused a weird mental disconnect for me.  She actually stayed up until midnight the night before they went up for sale, to ensure she could get me one.  No wonder she is my favorite person in the world.

Also, it comes with a neat little bonus Castle set when you buy directly from Lego.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, I pre-ordered the Lego 90th Anniversary commemorative modern Galaxy Explorer set literally the moment it went on sale in June, and just built it last Saturday. Damned if I didn't have more fun than I can remember in a very long time. My wife remarked on that, and we remembered there's a Lego Store about 40 minutes away in Nashville. So today we drove out there - I had every intention of just showing her the new Atari VCS replica set as a hint for Christmas, while getting her a couple of Harry Potter sets to add to her HP setup. As soon as we saw the details on this little flip-out diorama and the "cartridge art" stuff, she said, "You have to buy this!" So between the two of us, we walked out of the Lego Store $450+ poorer, lol. I'll be building this on Labor Day weekend, I think, and it will go on display next to one of my classic VCS models.

image.thumb.jpeg.8199812f8445b978c5f5133615edb035.jpeg

BTW, as an aside, if you're a fan of Classic Space Lego, the Galaxy Explorer is just delightful. I cannot recommend it enough, folks. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.6feea3e6751a1ced6ad883f48facd7fa.jpeg

• Like 4

Just now, DrVenkman said:

BTW, as an aside, if you're a fan of Classic Space Lego, the Galaxy Explorer is just delightful. I cannot recommend it enough, folks. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.6feea3e6751a1ced6ad883f48facd7fa.jpeg

I must have this, I had the original set when I was a kid, along with tons of those other classic space LEGO sets.

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

I must have this, I had the original set when I was a kid, along with tons of those other classic space LEGO sets.

Ditto. I had most of the Space sets up through the early/mid-80's, then literally gave it all away sometime in college when it seemed like it was just taking up space. Ugh. Anyway, the new set is a very loving homage to the original, with some amazing little details and touches. It took me pretty much all day Saturday to build it in one sitting, but I had a blast. The Nashville Lego Store had three of them on display in the front, and I've seen people post about seeing them in Wal-Mart and Target Stores. And of course you could also order directly from Lego's main website. 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:20 AM, zzip said:

Heh, well look at it this way.   Discontinued Lego sets sell for many times their retail price.   So buying and holding unopened Lego sets may outperform other investments, like stocks :D

* Disclaimer:  I'm not a financial advisor  :P

they do