IGNORED

Just got a Jaguar in 2022 - New to this community

DreamcastUK

Hi there all,

I'm new to this community as I've just got myself an Atari Jaguar so what normal thing do you do first is look for active communites and forums.

I am from the UK and looking to chat with fellow Jaguar owners and maybe look at starting up/restoring the UK Jagfest scene whether that be just meeting up once a year to discuss the latest homebrew/ports or just share memories or go head to head on games such as Doom etc in a LAN style event.

FX3d1AlXgAAQyuw.thumb.jpg.136b85e90e429503b044842faae6d6a4.jpg

Already liking the look for the site and glad UK shipping on the carts in store is due to re-open.

Regards

James

• Like 13

Welcome Dreamcast UK.

With regard to restarting JagFest UK as nice as that may be as someone who attened them all and was involved in the organisation of some of them I don't think it really practical, certainly as a stand alone event as...

1) Organisation was a lot of work, external advertising to get members of the public in for paid entry that would support the running cost is genreally too expensive, plus you have to have someone on the door to check pre-paid tickets or handle point tickets sales if open the the public. I am sure that for many of them someone ended up subsidizing it to some extenent to cover the venue hire.

2) Those from mainland Europe that used to come over dwindled largely due to the cost involved, particualrly as the venues were generally not that close to any major airports (bar the one at Luton) and there were not enough attendees from the UK to make it self supporting which is why for the last one a small space was taken at a larger event to let people see/experinace the Jaguar.

3) Most of the core attendees of pervious events were from the UK and are no longer active here making contacting them difficult and may possibly no longer involved/interested with anything Atari or Jaguar related and others may have moved too far away for attending to be practical depening on the location thus likely to lower the numbers of potential attendees further.

If there was to be a JFUK revival I think that as with the last one it would need to be a small presence/gathering at larger event (either Atari based or general) run by someone else which would idealy be located close to major road/rail and air travel points and preferable centrally located to make it easier for people to get to. I cannot remember the name of the event the last JFUK was part of but from a quick search it may have been Play Expo as that is in the appears to be running in same location and as I recall the same time of year, and there used to be an event that ran annually/semi-annually in Oxford possible around May (Retrovision?) but I think that ceased due to a lack of/bust of the organisers as I seem to recall reading some accuasitional posts flying around somewhere.    

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Saturn said:

Hello and welcome :)

Great place here for Jaguar and tons of info on homebrews, development, etc. Hope you can get Jagfest going.

Thank you very much, I know I can't wait to start looking at the homebrews and ports etc - as I've seen there are some really nice Atari ST ports made like TMNT Arcade (image attached from this forum showcasing how nice they looked) etc - yeah fingers crossed about the Jagfest UK, I've reached out to people who previously attend/hosted or had input in them so even if I can get them to have a table at my expo would be great  

8 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Hello and welcome to the world of the Atari's big cat! 

Thank you :) happy to be here!

6 hours ago, alucardX said:

Welcome to the Jag scene and the Jaguar community. That is really exciting to see your new Jag in the box. What a pleasure to see so thank you for sharing it.

My pleausre and thanks - yeah had to share it as I couldn't believe how nice it looked in the box.

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Welcome! Curious to hear what your first games will be, and what your first impressions are. Have fun!

I haven't got any games for it yet however, I've just purchased checkered flag as I thought it looked a little like Virtua Racing and it was £28 from CEX so will see what condition it's in when it arrvies. I've also just purcahsed Theme Park , AVP , Double Dragon, Doom, Evolution: Dino Dudes and Syndicate which should keep me busy for a while (Photos attached)

4 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Nice boxed setup! Curious, what lured you into the 64-bit dark side?

Thanks, I always wanted to buy one back I when they were just getting rid of them in my local games shops I managed to grab one boxed with loads of games and also an Atari Lynx however, when needed cash a few years later they had to go - so always wanted to get one back and it prob has the coolest simple box design I've seen on a console. :)  

20220720_210028.jpg

20220720_210021.jpg

cex.png

tmnt jag.png

Edited by DreamcastUK
Formatting issue
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

Welcome Dreamcast UK.

With regard to restarting JagFest UK as nice as that may be as someone who attened them all and was involved in the organisation of some of them I don't think it really practical, certainly as a stand alone event as...

1) Organisation was a lot of work, external advertising to get members of the public in for paid entry that would support the running cost is genreally too expensive, plus you have to have someone on the door to check pre-paid tickets or handle point tickets sales if open the the public. I am sure that for many of them someone ended up subsidizing it to some extenent to cover the venue hire.

2) Those from mainland Europe that used to come over dwindled largely due to the cost involved, particualrly as the venues were generally not that close to any major airports (bar the one at Luton) and there were not enough attendees from the UK to make it self supporting which is why for the last one a small space was taken at a larger event to let people see/experinace the Jaguar.

3) Most of the core attendees of pervious events were from the UK and are no longer active here making contacting them difficult and may possibly no longer involved/interested with anything Atari or Jaguar related and others may have moved too far away for attending to be practical depening on the location thus likely to lower the numbers of potential attendees further.

If there was to be a JFUK revival I think that as with the last one it would need to be a small presence/gathering at larger event (either Atari based or general) run by someone else which would idealy be located close to major road/rail and air travel points and preferable centrally located to make it easier for people to get to. I cannot remember the name of the event the last JFUK was part of but from a quick search it may have been Play Expo as that is in the appears to be running in same location and as I recall the same time of year, and there used to be an event that ran annually/semi-annually in Oxford possible around May (Retrovision?) but I think that ceased due to a lack of/bust of the organisers as I seem to recall reading some accuasitional posts flying around somewhere.    

Hi Stephen

Great to hear from someone who attended all the JagFest UK events, from what you said that is what me and my mate Alex (GamesReup) are planning. We am dealing with the larger scale of the event organisation and tickets will be dealt with by another website eventbrite so people will just need to turn up and show their phone or ticket print out - I have friends and volunteers who will be helping and as for the JFUK Revival it would be more of a community meetup with maybe a Jaguar console or two for people to play or linked up doom with other merch (Lynx Cader for like caps etc) so the Jaguar section would be a small (one or two tables) at the Retro Gaming Expo/Convention I'm planning.

So as for the organisation part it would only be a case of if a couple of members from the community wanted to have a hire section/table at the event they could and all the rest would be dealt with, as I already have traders/devs/gaming compaines across a number of communites already on board.

I was part of RetroVision 5 in Frome Somerset, back then my group was called UKRockers where we had x2 Xbox's linked with Outrun 2 / x2 PS2's linked with a collection of games and x2 Dreamcasts with F355 linked - it was a fun weekend got to meet Jeff Minter.

I've also worked with a website called Retro Games Fair who do events in Leeds & Nottingham UK and I did the wholer of the gaming area for their Nottingham Event

I have also been looking at writing/taking over the Do The Math website as I'm an admin of the DCJY so speaking with Tom from there he aggreed that I can update it and work on it which is great and I can start promoting events and other news through that outlet as well.

So in my mind it would be kind of a Jaguar section at the event where it could bring devs there to showcase the homebrew/ports or even run a tournament on Doom etc and be played on the big projector screen and then also have a section where sell merch, the website for our Expo is complete however, not currently shared with the public but when it is done I will be happy to share it with the Jaguar community :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DreamcastUK said:

Thank you very much, I know I can't wait to start looking at the homebrews and ports etc - as I've seen there are some really nice Atari ST ports made like TMNT Arcade (image attached from this forum showcasing how nice they looked)

Thank you for the comments, however I feel obligated to say TMNT was done because I was asked to do it, and not because it is any good.  The packaging Gaz did is the best thing about that one :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on joining the world of the Atari Jaguar. It's a wild machine. You've clearly got good taste, based on the username. My two favorite consoles are the Jaguar and Dreamcast. E7OaHONXoAQ-29H.thumb.jpg.e9d9dd302f619b08da57a839b0cb2f32.jpg

Again, welcome and congrats on getting one of the most exclusive and rare consoles ever made.

• Like 3

Just now, Jag64 said:

Congrats on joining the world of the Atari Jaguar. It's a wild machine. You've clearly got good taste, based on the username. My two favorite consoles are the Jaguar and Dreamcast. E7OaHONXoAQ-29H.thumb.jpg.e9d9dd302f619b08da57a839b0cb2f32.jpg

Again, welcome and congrats on getting one of the most exclusive and rare consoles ever made.

thanks, very nice indeed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

GamesReup does some awesome stuff covering the Dreamcast cast scene, he’s my go to YouTube channel for everything Dreamcast related! It’ll be great if he’s covering the Atari Jaguar now. I noticed he did a Atari Jaguar game video a few days ago which I found weird at first but makes sense now. 

Yeah it's great to have him on board for the event as we've been working together for a while now on videos and now our first expo!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

Since so many other things became online events during the pandemic I wonder if an online Jaguar event would be fun. People could chat, demonstrate wip projects, and/or people could demonstrate some gameplay while people comment or converse in real time.

That does sound good and also if say a community wanted to livestream their table/section at a phycial event for the community to join in online that would also be possiable.

Welcome DreamcastUk. 

Thanks for the heads up on GamesReup YT channel, looking forward to checking his content out. 

Thom has done some great work for Retrogamer Magazine (loved his feature: The History of Iron Soldier (Issue 165) and online, with both DCJY and Do The Math, delighted to hear the latter will be returning to life. 

What are your plans for it? 

News board only? Or are you looking to get fresh articles written for it? 

Be great to get some new articles up there from a new generation of Jaguar fans. 

Some really solid choices in your first batch of Jaguar titles as well. 

I know Syndicate is a marmite title, but loved it myself, Dino Dudes has some lovely music, Doom and AVP are must have titles, never been a Theme Park fan on any system but if it's your bag, your in for a treat. 

Have you tried reaching out to likes of Chris Wilkins (Fusion Magazine) and YT hosts like Lady Decade (who's been covering the Jag and Jag CD of late), if you could get them to promote any planned events via their platforms, you'd be onto a winner. 

Retrogamer Magazine is another avenue. 

Looking forward to your views on the commercial Jaguar games library and I wish you every success for your plans. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

I know Syndicate is a marmite title, but loved it myself ...

Marmite, eh? Buh? I'd never heard/read the word; according to Dictionary, it's an earthenware cooking container, and the etymology includes "hypocritical." Can you please define it as it's used in the Syndicate context?

27 minutes ago, Editorb said:

Marmite, eh? Buh? I'd never heard/read the word; according to Dictionary, it's an earthenware cooking container, and the etymology includes "hypocritical." Can you please define it as it's used in the Syndicate context?

Sure ?

Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, salty, powerful flavour and matching heady aroma. This distinctive taste is represented in the marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." Such is its prominence in British popular culture that the product's name is often used as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinion

220px-Marmite.jpg

And for the record, I am firmly in the love it camp, when it comes to the sticky, dark brown.paste as well

Bloody lovely on toast... 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1