IGNORED

Just got a Jaguar in 2022 - New to this community

DreamcastUK

16 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Welcome DreamcastUk. 

Thanks for the heads up on GamesReup YT channel, looking forward to checking his content out. 

Thom has done some great work for Retrogamer Magazine (loved his feature: The History of Iron Soldier (Issue 165) and online, with both DCJY and Do The Math, delighted to hear the latter will be returning to life. 

What are your plans for it? 

News board only? Or are you looking to get fresh articles written for it? 

Be great to get some new articles up there from a new generation of Jaguar fans. 

Some really solid choices in your first batch of Jaguar titles as well. 

I know Syndicate is a marmite title, but loved it myself, Dino Dudes has some lovely music, Doom and AVP are must have titles, never been a Theme Park fan on any system but if it's your bag, your in for a treat. 

Have you tried reaching out to likes of Chris Wilkins (Fusion Magazine) and YT hosts like Lady Decade (who's been covering the Jag and Jag CD of late), if you could get them to promote any planned events via their platforms, you'd be onto a winner. 

Retrogamer Magazine is another avenue. 

Looking forward to your views on the commercial Jaguar games library and I wish you every success for your plans. 

Sure no problems he is a great friend of mine and I too will be putting out Jaguar content on my channel, unboxing, first impressions on the system and titles etc

Tom, is great also. The thing is after he sold all his Jaguar / Jaguar CD collection to buy a motorcycle there hasn't been a post on Do The Math since 2016 until my first post yesterday.

So my plans are, having new fresh (Jaguar) eyes on the system with someone joining the arena after so long, to see what the community is like , see the dev/homebrew etc scene, first impressions on games and also to share news on new projects, ports etc and might also be looking for reviews/articles from people and the new Jaguar generation (and the orginals) as you mentioned.

My first experience of Theme Park was on the Mega Drive and I enjoyed that so looking forward to much of the same with that one.

Syndicate was on the Snes for me but preferred Syndicate Wars on the PC, but hey it's included in the bundle :) 

I haven't tried reaching out to anyone yet but I will and it will be good to maybe to a livestream with guests talking about their Jaguar memories either about the scene itself, fav games or anything Atari/Jaguar related.

Thanks can't wait to share my views on the game library and the system. Thanks also for the well wishes

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Please don't tell me your first Jag experience is going to be Checkered Flag. We all know how this story ends.

Ivan Facepalm GIF by Иван Водка Медвед

Indeed it is however, this would of been the first game I would have purchased if I had a Jaguar back inthe day. Being a fan of games like Hard Driving which I played loads on my Amstrad CPC 464 and Virtua Racing which only owning the Mega Drive version I feel this game could be simlar to either of those. The box art and gameplay images from the box looks like regardless it would be a game I enjoy but we will see when I do a video about it on my YT channel :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DreamcastUK said:

Sure no problems he is a great friend of mine and I too will be putting out Jaguar content on my channel, unboxing, first impressions on the system and titles etc

Tom, is great also. The thing is after he sold all his Jaguar / Jaguar CD collection to buy a motorcycle there hasn't been a post on Do The Math since 2016 until my first post yesterday.

So my plans are, having new fresh (Jaguar) eyes on the system with someone joining the arena after so long, to see what the community is like , see the dev/homebrew etc scene, first impressions on games and also to share news on new projects, ports etc and might also be looking for reviews/articles from people and the new Jaguar generation (and the orginals) as you mentioned.

My first experience of Theme Park was on the Mega Drive and I enjoyed that so looking forward to much of the same with that one.

Syndicate was on the Snes for me but preferred Syndicate Wars on the PC, but hey it's included in the bundle :) 

I haven't tried reaching out to anyone yet but I will and it will be good to maybe to a livestream with guests talking about their Jaguar memories either about the scene itself, fav games or anything Atari/Jaguar related.

Thanks can't wait to share my views on the game library and the system. Thanks also for the well wishes

Fresh eyes and voices are always welcome and it'll be great to see new life breathed into the Do The Math site. 

Never tried Theme Park on the MD, Peter M. from Bullfrog made such a song and dance about how much he hated the SNES and MD thought they were toys, then had the company bring Theme Park and a butchered version of Syndicate to it, it just seemed a bit rich from him. 

I myself loved Syndicate Wars on the PlayStation, did you ever try Satellite Rain on the PC? (it's spiritual successor). 

Chris sprang to mind as he is behind Fusion Magazine and more, is always looking for new material to cover has a great set of writers working with him and is a very established name. 

From what i have seen of her YT videos, Lady Decade has a substantial YT following. 

Not picked up an issue of Retrogamer Magazine in a good while, but if you can get coverage from these and others, it'd really help get the word out. 

? So Tom has swapped the Jaguar fumes for Petrol fumes, good on him, hope he's doing well. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DreamcastUK said:

Indeed it is however, this would of been the first game I would have purchased if I had a Jaguar back inthe day. Being a fan of games like Hard Driving which I played loads on my Amstrad CPC 464 and Virtua Racing which only owning the Mega Drive version I feel this game could be simlar to either of those. The box art and gameplay images from the box looks like regardless it would be a game I enjoy but we will see when I do a video about it on my YT channel :) 

MD Virtua Racing plays far better. 

The troubles with Jaguar Checkered Flag are many. 

It was apparently the coders first game, Rebellion were a small start-up dev team, producing the game under contract for Atari.. 

Kingsley himself admitted he hasn't got that much experience with Racing Games and the team struggled getting  the controls nailed down:

Jason Kingsley :I’ve never been much of a racing game player myself so I’m probably not best placed to speak about it. When developing the title we did not noice major differences between north American play styles and European ones. NA players blip the controls, European ones press and hold. Balancing the game for both was tricky.

For myself, it highlights where Atari were at when they entered the market with the Jaguar. 

They wanted clones of popular games available on systems like the MD and SNES, but didn't have the resources. 

Companies like:ATD, Imagitec Design, Tiertex had previously been better known for their conversion work, Rebellion had approached Atari looking to code for the Falcon, they'd done 3D work on PC Eye Of The Storm.. 

When you see the likes of No Second Prize on the ST, then try Jaguar Checkered Flag, it highlights the games failings even more. 

Thankfully the good folk from the community have produced a workaround  that once implemented, does changetye  left/right steering in game so it turns at a constant rate. 

So try using that to get more from it. 

28 minutes ago, str0m said:

Hard Driving on the CPC probably has a higher frame rate ?    Get yourself a Jag GD cart if you want to experience the library before buying physical and also means you can play all the great ST ports etc

How about S.T.U.N Runner, better frame rate than that?

With the physical released ST ports, I don't need a Jag GD cart do I or a modded Jag?

For me don't mind buying any game I can physically regardless if it isn't too good :) just to build the collection but good idea thou trying before buying

29 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

I myself loved Syndicate Wars on the PlayStation, did you ever try Satellite Rain on the PC? (it's spiritual successor). 

Chris sprang to mind as he is behind Fusion Magazine and more, is always looking for new material to cover has a great set of writers working with him and is a very established name. 

From what i have seen of her YT videos, Lady Decade has a substantial YT following. 

Not picked up an issue of Retrogamer Magazine in a good while, but if you can get coverage from these and others, it'd really help get the word out. 

? So Tom has swapped the Jaguar fumes for Petrol fumes, good on him, hope he's doing well. 

Never play/heard of Satellite Rain but now I have will check it out - thanks

I'm friends with Retro Faith within the DC community and she writes for Fusion Magazine so might see if I can get the word out that way too

When I had a stand a OLL 22 Video Game Convention, Lady Decade was there and was one of the only YT/influncer people to not visit my stand so never spoke to her, think I've seen a few of her videos and seems like alot of people like what see does.

These are all good ideas for magazine coverage, I am also quite friendly with the team at Sega Powered so they may also have some friends who work on different magazines. 

Indeed Tom has, if you see his YT channel gaming stopped and then it was all about the 2 wheels :) 

8 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

MD Virtua Racing plays far better. 

The troubles with Jaguar Checkered Flag are many. 

It was apparently the coders first game, Rebellion were a small start-up dev team, producing the game under contract for Atari.. 

Kingsley himself admitted he hasn't got that much experience with Racing Games and the team struggled getting  the controls nailed down:

Jason Kingsley :I’ve never been much of a racing game player myself so I’m probably not best placed to speak about it. When developing the title we did not noice major differences between north American play styles and European ones. NA players blip the controls, European ones press and hold. Balancing the game for both was tricky.

For myself, it highlights where Atari were at when they entered the market with the Jaguar. 

They wanted clones of popular games available on systems like the MD and SNES, but didn't have the resources. 

Companies like:ATD, Imagitec Design, Tiertex had previously been better known for their conversion work, Rebellion had approached Atari looking to code for the Falcon, they'd done 3D work on PC Eye Of The Storm.. 

When you see the likes of No Second Prize on the ST, then try Jaguar Checkered Flag, it highlights the games failings even more. 

Thankfully the good folk from the community have produced a workaround  that once implemented, does changetye  left/right steering in game so it turns at a constant rate. 

So try using that to get more from it. 

Thanks I will give it a try

Looking forward to looking into the history and development of games too - so this an exciting time for me to be part of this community

Oh and looking to playing the Atari ST games as and purchasing the released titles

Not sure, both terrible!

There are quite a few ST ports which have been released for free which I don't think are available in physical form, maybe wrong. Sure you don't need a GD cart but there is other PD games as well and of course it would allow you to "test" retail games before buying physical. Scroll down on here to see a number of ST ones and maybe more in the thread

Edited by str0m
added link

18 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Sure ?

Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, salty, powerful flavour and matching heady aroma. This distinctive taste is represented in the marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." Such is its prominence in British popular culture that the product's name is often used as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinion

220px-Marmite.jpg

And for the record, I am firmly in the love it camp, when it comes to the sticky, dark brown.paste as well

Bloody lovely on toast... 

Hahaha. Yup, that phrase just entered my vocabulary.

Also, as a lover of Syndicate, I guess now I'll have to try Marmite to see if the correlation holds true.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DreamcastUK said:

The key difference in this case being that Hard Drivin' and Virtua Racing are good games that offer the player some semblance of control. 

Welcome BTW! ?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RollOut said:

Hahaha. Yup, that phrase just entered my vocabulary.

Also, as a lover of Syndicate, I guess now I'll have to try Marmite to see if the correlation holds true.

It's a food substance that just keeps on giving.. 

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/eating-marmite-could-help-to-ease-anxiety-and-depression/

?

3 hours ago, str0m said:

Not sure, both terrible!

There are quite a few ST ports which have been released for free which I don't think are available in physical form, maybe wrong. Sure you don't need a GD cart but there is other PD games as well and of course it would allow you to "test" retail games before buying physical. Scroll down on here to see a number of ST ones and maybe more in the thread

Ok thanks - I will be looking into those Atari ST ports real soon.

1 hour ago, Gummy Bear said:

The key difference in this case being that Hard Drivin' and Virtua Racing are good games that offer the player some semblance of control. 

Welcome BTW! ?

Thanks glad to be here, and I'll do a review and livestream of checkered flag real soon

58 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

My apologies, I didn't check my phone autocorrect. 

It's Reign, not Rain ?

See what you make of it. 

No need to apologise, I'll take a look over the weekend :) 

I've received a nice parcel today and it is some Atari Jaguar Merch from The Lynx Cader , he sent me an Atari Jaguar baseball cat , cybermorph overlay and some Be the Math stickers! Now I will look cool during my YT videos and at events :) 

box2.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/21/2022 at 10:50 AM, Lostdragon said:

Sure ?

Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, salty, powerful flavour and matching heady aroma. This distinctive taste is represented in the marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." Such is its prominence in British popular culture that the product's name is often used as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinion

220px-Marmite.jpg

And for the record, I am firmly in the love it camp, when it comes to the sticky, dark brown.paste as well

Bloody lovely on toast... 

O, yeah, that crap stuff! I knew that at one point, but I think it was crowded out by Vegemite. (Just the words; I've never ingested the stuff.)

• Like 1

Welcome to the crazy, fun world of the Atari Jaguar! May I suggest visiting the AtariAge store to see what the community has released for games? These games are high-quality and worth every red cent you spend on them.

if you are looking for game suggestions, feel free to ask.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 6:14 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Welcome to the crazy, fun world of the Atari Jaguar! May I suggest visiting the AtariAge store to see what the community has released for games? These games are high-quality and worth every red cent you spend on them.

if you are looking for game suggestions, feel free to ask.

Thank you - yes I've visited there the games look get - going to purchase some from the UK/EU sites as the games appear cheaper/less shipping and unsure if AA store has their UK shipping Tax done and dusted yet. I could be wrong.

:) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DreamcastUK said:

Thank you - yes I've visited there the games look get - going to purchase some from the UK/EU sites as the games appear cheaper/less shipping and unsure if AA store has their UK shipping Tax done and dusted yet. I could be wrong.

:) 

I have a webshop that sell some homebrew games (Atari Jaguar and Vectrex) that ship from Europe:

http://tjocktv.se/shop/

PS. If you want to buy Asteroite directly from UK, you can also check with @Gaztee:

https://peleiadesshop.mydrobo.com/

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, Jagosaurus said:

Welcome man. Bit of quirky group that's had a chip on its shoulder for almost 30 years ?, but I enjoy it.

... Does the Checkered Flag steering patch work on GD or just emu? Been meaning to try it for too long...

Don't expect miracles. The steering patch just makes the game slightly (and I mean slightly) more playable, but certainly not enough to increase the game's score on any reviews.

• Like 3

So here we go.

Got my first batch of games ready to test!

So my Jaguar Journey (That's got a good ring to it) starts now!

I plan purchased a couple of boxes, manuals and inlays from telegames, so always on the look out to tidy up the collection and looking at the games I've got here I'm gonna be quite busy playing through them.

So got two different controllers as well, one with grey keys and one with black keys and the d-pad feels better on the black key'ed controller.

Checkered Flag inserted here we go !! Jaguar time :)

FY_uon8XkAEXm7n.jpg