IGNORED

Was the Atari 7800more powerful than the NES?

Ecernosoft

18 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Actually it was just an homage to that infamous thread...

Ahh.  I guess I tend to avoid such threads. :)

16 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

The Tramiels could have released a powerful transputer console with parallel processing and they still couldn't outsell the 8-bit NES!

And yes they actually had a "transputer"...

I think I saw that movie...

Transputing.jpg.ee4a88078b115eaacb587822a4208b06.jpg

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

The Tramiels could have released a powerful transputer console with parallel processing and they still couldn't outsell the 8-bit NES!

Is this the same Tramiels responsible for the best selling microcomputer ever? ;)

By the way, Sega has also tried to outsell NES, and failed, and so did NEC. Simply because

• Like 1

Let's see how many of you got my snarky reference...

23 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

It was called Maria!

Ha!  You wish...

22 hours ago, orange808 said:

Joshua

wargames.gif

Almost close... ;)

7 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

I think I saw that movie...

Transputing.jpg.ee4a88078b115eaacb587822a4208b06.jpg

Never heard of it.

Anyway, this is Atari Transputer Workstation and I don't blame anyone here for not even knowing about it. 

But then again, there's a lot much marketing from the Tramiels to know anything about from that era...

5 hours ago, youxia said:

Is this the same Tramiels responsible for the best selling microcomputer ever? ;)

I still lie awake at night wondering how Jack could sell the C-64 like hot cakes but not his 16-bit successor.  ?‍♂️

So that will be my next riddle... :)

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

Anyway, this is Atari Transputer Workstation and I don't blame anyone here for not even knowing about it. 

I remember it, largely because Atari User magazine went all hot and heavy over it in a couple of issues.

That was how I first learned the term 'vapourware'.  Granted, they did make some, but not enough to really make any sort of appreciable difference.

2 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

The transputer thing kinda scared me. Made me worry about having to relearn everything I knew about computers all over again. So I hoped it would fizzle out. And it did. I mean there was like no games and CompUSA wasn't selling them. Woot!

14 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Pokey + Tia + Maria w/ VRAM for no DMA = Absolutley beats the NES.

Even using the built in Maria with DMA and it's gigantic 512*16 sprites kills the NES.

And somehow, someway, maybe even by magic, the NES became the more prevalent machine. The age-old Betamax vs VHS.

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

And somehow, someway, maybe even by magic, the NES became the more prevalent machine. The age-old Betamax vs VHS.

DC vs AC wars is what I think of Edison Vs Westinghouse. 

What a cruel sick man Edison was torturing all the animals to try and prove a point. Topsy deserved to live. 

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jinks said:

DC vs AC wars is what I think of Edison Vs Westinghouse. 

What a cruel sick man Edison was torturing all the animals to try and prove a point. Topsy deserved to live. 

DC and AC never fought. You needed both for different reasons. Your good old Atari 800 needed DC and your good old Apple 2 monitor needed AC.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

DC and AC never fought. You needed both for different reasons. Your good old Atari 800 needed DC and your good old Apple 2 monitor needed AC.

They fought. See Edison vs Westinghouse. Edison publicly electrocuted animals with AC to "prove" it was unsafe.. 

Edison and George Westinghouse, who, more than a century ago, engaged in a nasty battle over alternating and direct current, known as the “War of Currents.” Both men knew there was room for but one American electricity system, and Edison set out to ruin Westinghouse in “a great political, legal and marketing game” that saw the famous inventor stage publicity events where dogs, horses and even an elephant were killed using Westinghouse’s alternating current.

Know your history before you make claims about it.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2022 at 12:27 AM, MrMaddog said:

On 7/22/2022 at 12:27 AM, MrMaddog said:

Yes that’s sooo true,no matter how powerful the atari 8bit console could,ve be,it still just couldn’t overthrown the nes,simply because it’s all about the hits and not the bits,

alltrough off cource a console needs to be atleast powerful enough to make enemy’s,power ups, platforms and begrounds distinguishible from each other,also those sound effects like power up or getting hit by an enemy or hazzards needs to be distinguishible from each other,if a console couldn’t do that,then a game such as supermariobrps would,ve been pretty much unplayible ,

most atari 2600 games were primitive in their graphics & sounds,now just imagine if zelda,supermariobros,metroid etc,,, were originally on the atari 2600 in 1986,would those games still became a  huge success???