IGNORED

CosmosEx Original Version vs newer ones

From reading about CosmosEx, it seems that there were three different versions produced.  1.0, 2.0, and possibly 3.0     Is there any advantage to trying to get a more recent version?  For example, is version 1.0 stable enough and works well enough that it would be worth getting if one came along?  Or should I avoid version 1.0 and try and find a later version?

Thanks,

Jason

Version 1 came in an ACSI version or a SCSI version.  Version 3 can do either.  I do not know anything about version 2.  Other than the way to connect to them, the feature set is pretty much the same.

There is an ACSI version 1 on eBay right now.

6 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Version 1 came in an ACSI version or a SCSI version.  Version 3 can do either.  I do not know anything about version 2.  Other than the way to connect to them, the feature set is pretty much the same.

There is an ACSI version 1 on eBay right now.

Thanks, yeah that's the one I saw and was thinking about getting as long as the price doesn't go nuts.  Just wanted to be certain the original version had similar features to the newer ones and there were no issues/disadvantages with v1 over the others.  Given the rarity of them, I'm assuming the price will end up going out of my range.  

Also, newer = faster and more debugged, as development was done always on the latest iteration.

But generally speaking, the ACSI/SCSI switch, the ability to fit inside ST/Falcon, has a special 3D printed case, IKBD injector working without fully booted devices... those are the main CE3.0 features.

I bought 2 Ver 3s new. I cannot recall the original price, but I ended up pay just over $400 (us) for both of them (including fees, shipping and price). It seemed to me the ver 1 was just over $100 plus shipping.

Use these numbers as a basis for how outrageous it goes for on eBay.

18 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

I bought 2 Ver 3s new. I cannot recall the original price, but I ended up pay just over $400 (us) for both of them (including fees, shipping and price). It seemed to me the ver 1 was just over $100 plus shipping.

Use these numbers as a basis for how outrageous it goes for on eBay.

Thanks this is helpful for comparison.  The v1 currently listed on eBay is at $76 with 8 days remaining (2 bids so far).  I wouldn't mind having one of these but don't need one so badly that I'll pay a crazy price.  Of course, these aren't being manufactured anymore, so that throws a wrench into things and possibly the value of them.  It'll be interesting to see where this one ends up.  Looking at eBay history I don't see any CosmosEx's ever sold in the last while.

CosmosEx v3 went for 160 euros without postage fees. All was sold by pre ordering and payed in 2018. They build 100 + few more (they got 130 boards made) but I think they went a bit over their heads on how much was needed to be done. Many problems seemed to occur and very little info was given during the time. In 2021 when all was shipped they announced that a v4 was being made. Then silence... They started shipping 1,5y later. Well you can read about it here.

Edited by snarkdluG

28 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

CosmosEx v3 went for 160 euros without postage fees. All was sold by pre ordering and payed in 2018. They build 100 + few more (they got 130 boards made) but I think they went a bit over their heads on how much was needed to be done. Many problems seemed to occur and very little info was given during the time. In 2021 when all was shipped they announced that a v4 was being made. Then silence... They started shipping 1,5y later. Well you can read about it here.

Thanks for the link and the additional context.

After thinking about it, perhaps why I'm trying to determine is: Is it worth getting the v1 of CosmosEx?  Or any CosmoxEx for that matter if there are any issues with how it functions?  Or is it 'good enough' that it would be a good addition to an ST?    Thanks.

Sales were more than good, overwhelming in fact. We could easily do another 100+ batch. However @snarkdluG is not wrong, the main person behind the "sales division" heavily underestimated the amount of work and support needed to get it done so in the end, there was a lot of pissed/annoyed people, huge delays and some unfortunate incidents. Jookie knew well why he didn't want to do it anymore. ;-)

But good news is that there's been some development ongoing on the fourth generation but that is still far away...

• Thanks 3

On 7/21/2022 at 7:50 PM, Jason Young said:

Thanks, yeah that's the one I saw and was thinking about getting as long as the price doesn't go nuts.  Just wanted to be certain the original version had similar features to the newer ones and there were no issues/disadvantages with v1 over the others.  Given the rarity of them, I'm assuming the price will end up going out of my range.  

I will put a guess out there, that it will go for $300.  

On 7/23/2022 at 8:10 AM, mickster said:

I will put a guess out there, that it will go for $300.  

Winning bid was $185.50 + $25 shipping from San Antonio, TX.  The Buy-It-Now price was something like $225, which I would have paid, except someone already bid on it by the time my saved search notified me.  Then I forgot to bid on it.  Maybe someday I’ll get a CosmosEX, but not today.

9 hours ago, Smokeless Joe said:

Winning bid was $185.50 + $25 shipping from San Antonio, TX.  The Buy-It-Now price was something like $225, which I would have paid, except someone already bid on it by the time my saved search notified me.  Then I forgot to bid on it.  Maybe someday I’ll get a CosmosEX, but not today.

I bid up to $182, but stopped there.  I would have liked to go to $250, but I have too many other deals currently pending.