IGNORED

Season 20 Round 15 - Guerilla War

asponge

This is the last round of Season 20!  Here is another game that had not made it into the HSC until today.  

471594848_GuerillaWarCartridge.png.fe681727634e01b0b655e4d4c9f0b295.png 958163424_GuerrillaWarScreenshot.png.f0f843dc045d9a459d5e8db7655c125d.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday August 7 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 8/2:

Razzie.P     728,100
wongojack    346,100
fakecortex   180,300
mbd39        158,000
Frozone212   131,800

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.thumb.png.8201bbe0e96eedfc3456bf97b59f67c1.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Thanks! I can hardly believe it. I've had so much fun; great competition all!

BTW, I bought TMNT3 not too long ago and had a blast beating it. If we ever play that again, I'm ready.

TMNT2 would be a fun pick for next season. Only issue is unintentional point pressing with the sewer boss that will factor into the scores.

• Like 2

I would have sworn I played this at some point in the past, but after putting in a bit of time over the past couple of days, I don't think I have.

Its a good thing I wasn't able to finish it.  I don't think the brass back in Washington would have believed all those hostage accidents were truly accidents. 

GW439900.jpg.d4b7d66d50b387d6955c3c53174760e0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here’s a game that I don’t remember getting (or playing for that matter), but there it was on my shelf...and it’s pretty good! Straight out the gate tho, I went, ooh what’s that *shoots, -500points* ooooh. Unlike our last game, this is definitely one you don’t want to use turbo on. I like running over the enemies in the tank, and that it eventually explodes too, which caught me off guard at first. The different weapons are sweet, and I especially like taking out tanks with grenades. Laying off the trigger in order to rescue the hostages makes this stand out for me. 

0F2CF54C-37B1-447A-ABE6-03C8A4F5241F.thumb.jpeg.c3e4832c5c514391f529f268d24c5696.jpeg

I like how player two is DOA ?

Also, “see you next play” is just so wholesome, especially for a war game :)

On 7/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, mbd39 said:

BTW, I bought TMNT3 not too long ago and had a blast beating it. If we ever play that again, I'm ready.

TMNT2 would be a fun pick for next season. Only issue is unintentional point pressing with the sewer boss that will factor into the scores.

TMNT 2 is kinda slow for my tastes but whatever you prefer. I for one would love to do Smash TV

This game gets nuts and I really have to force a slower pace to keep from being overwhelmed.   I really like it, though, and am amazed at some of the variety.   Like, the mission right before I croaked, you're riding a mine cart while trying to lasso hostages.  I was like "well this came out of nowhere..."

I think it has the makings of a masterpiece if they had eased up a bit to not be hampered by flicker and slowdown.  ☹️

GW728100.jpg.51501199d39fd17e3a4ef0780ecfe8dc.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Razzie.P said:

This game gets nuts and I really have to force a slower pace to keep from being overwhelmed.   I really like it, though, and am amazed at some of the variety.   Like, the mission right before I croaked, you're riding a mine cart while trying to lasso hostages.  I was like "well this came out of nowhere..."

I think it has the makings of a masterpiece if they had eased up a bit to not be hampered by flicker and slowdown.  ☹️

GW728100.jpg.51501199d39fd17e3a4ef0780ecfe8dc.jpg

yeah, it's a great title but the slowdown and flicker is enough to cause epilepsy. 

Honest opinion here:

While I love the game for what it is, I have to reject play this one for a very clear reason:

At the risk of sounding like a little kid, I want to say that while this game is hard (in a good way), it suffers from way too much screen flicker and slowdown. When I die, I have no idea what killed me or when. 

I understand that the NES hardware has limits but this game came out in 1989. I can point you to three good NES titles with no slowdown that were released in that period (DuckTales, Shinobi, Batman). in 1989, most NES games were flicker free and had no slowdown so what happened here? I don't know if the team was rushed or something but this much flicker is inexcusable especially since the NES had more RAM then the 2600 and had it's own dedicated video memory so the irony is heavy. (You'd think 2k video ram would help and some games allow more ram).

Thank god I don't suffer from Epilepsy

Anyway, It's a GREAT game but I can't go for more than 2 levels because of the Technical problems

I am forced to sit this one out, again.

Edited by Frozone212
eyes are burning from flicker

I can't get past level 2 without continuing either.

I wish the score and lives remaining was on the screen during play.  That makes it hard to know where I can rack up points and any extra lives.  I honestly don't even know how many lives I get on one credit - need to read the manual.