IGNORED

Season 20 Round 15 - Guerilla War

asponge

Done!  This one took a while, but I finally beat it without a continue.

Full disclosure, though -- I've been playing on Mesen with the "sprite limit" disabled to remove the flicker.  It makes it MUCH more fun, to me, but I'm a little iffy on whether or not that should be considered any sort of "cheat" since being able to see properly seems like it might have given me an advantage  😀   So if anyone feels this score shouldn't be added to the leaderboard, no hard feelings from me at all.

And with that, time to check out the "original" arcade version and see if it's as awesome.

GW1872700.jpg.591164de9a3fe042ba8d94d0d1b5cdfc.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Done!  This one took a while, but I finally beat it without a continue.

Full disclosure, though -- I've been playing on Mesen with the "sprite limit" disabled to remove the flicker.  It makes it MUCH more fun, to me, but I'm a little iffy on whether or not that should be considered any sort of "cheat" since being able to see properly seems like it might have given me an advantage  😀   So if anyone feels this score shouldn't be added to the leaderboard, no hard feelings from me at all.

And with that, time to check out the "original" arcade version and see if it's as awesome.

GW1872700.jpg.591164de9a3fe042ba8d94d0d1b5cdfc.jpg

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to this stuff. I think that flicker is part of the NES package and I wouldn't disable sprite limit. You're right it might be a borderline cheat if it confers significant advantage over real hardware.

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to this stuff. I think that flicker is part of the NES package and I wouldn't disable sprite limit. You're right it might be a borderline cheat if it confers significant advantage over real hardware.

I think modifying the gameplay via emulator settings is a slippery slope.  It's hard to judge from game to game what confers an advantage and what doesn't. Not to mention I didn't even know this was an option so trying to stay out in front of potential rule issues in this regard is nearly impossible for me.  For the sake of simplicity games should be emulated as close to the real hardware as possible.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

2 hours ago, asponge said:

I think modifying the gameplay via emulator settings is a slippery slope.  It's hard to judge from game to game what confers an advantage and what doesn't. Not to mention I didn't even know this was an option so trying to stay out in front of potential rule issues in this regard is nearly impossible for me.  For the sake of simplicity games should be emulated as close to the real hardware as possible.

Yeah, I agree.  It was bugging me a bit which I why I mentioned it.  I wasn't 100% convinced that it should be added either, but was just happy that I beat the game.

But, since it was bugging me, I spent a wee bit more time with the this one tonight.  😁   Real hardware (top loader).  Real CRT TV.  Real cart.  Real original controller.  Real sore left thumb (I see a blister in my near future) and ended with a new best of --

I can finish it quite easily now, which is one of my favorite things about working through these "extremely difficult" games -- going from feeling like "I'll never be able to do this" to "Rambo ain't got <censored> on me!"

I think I'm done with this one for real now.  Just gotta ignore that nagging voice in my head saying "you can't squeeze out another 50k to push it past 2?"

GW1950300.jpg.32d22e8c30d8756ee217e721bd86ac88.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Yeah, I agree.  It was bugging me a bit which I why I mentioned it.  I wasn't 100% convinced that it should be added either, but was just happy that I beat the game.

But, since it was bugging me, I spent a wee bit more time with the this one tonight.  😁   Real hardware (top loader).  Real CRT TV.  Real cart.  Real original controller.  Real sore left thumb (I see a blister in my near future) and ended with a new best of --

I can finish it quite easily now, which is one of my favorite things about working through these "extremely difficult" games -- going from feeling like "I'll never be able to do this" to "Rambo ain't got <censored> on me!"

LOL.  In my last post I was going to mention something about how you were already dominating the leaderboard so you don't need to worry about the "questionable" score.  I removed it because it sounded a bit patronizing when I read it back and that was not my intention.  

Glad to see you crushed it anyway.  That's awesome.  I just updated the scoreboard.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:07 AM, Crazy Climber said:

When does season 21 start? I'm going to try not to flake this time...ended up being a surprisingly busy year for me...

Season 21 will begin on September 4th.  I'd like to add a new scoring mechanic to the next season to change things up.  I'm working on a few different options.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, asponge said:

Season 21 will begin on September 4th.  I'd like to add a new scoring mechanic to the next season to change things up.  I'm working on a few different options.  

I'm looking forward to it. 😃

Here are a few suggestions:

Jackal

Kickle Cubicle

Bayou Billy (US)

Gyruss

TMNT2

Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

I've never played those adaptations of real pinball tables on the NES.  I think there are High Speed and Pinbot both available with varying degrees of stuff they've effed with.  Pinball is always good for a HSC, and I'd learn to play one of those games.

• Like 1