IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 2 - Q*bert

[ Intellivision HSC Season 17 ]

[ Game 2 ]

Q*bert

Q-bert.jpg.dff938d8881ca604a49da07950c3e39b.jpg

Q*bert by Parker Brothers 1983

All the action and excitement of the popular arcade game are here! Hop Q*bert up and down a pyramid of cubes, changing colors on each of the cube tops.

q-bert.gif.d3fe70496d30e90c9f23967ba66ec462.gif

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21576/intellivision/Q-bert-1983-Parker-Bros.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Q*bert

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

123,650 scalpel - SET NEW RECORD +3

Game Settings

Game Objective

To score as many points as possible by changing the color of the cubes on the pyramid from a starting color to a destination color. You'll do this by hopping Q*bert from cube to cube while avoiding the "nasty" characters who will try to stop him. Each time you complete a pyramid, you'll proceed to a new pyramid -- or round. Try to complete as many rounds as you can. There are nine game levels in all; four rounds per level. 

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 10,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 20,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 30,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Get a score of 40,000 pts or more and earn +4 bonus points; Get a score of 50,000 pts or more and earn +5 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +5.  

Season Theme: Fan Favorites. Gar0u's choice.

Contest Ends
SUNDAY AUGUST 14TH 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

87,720 - Northcoastgamer [+13][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE](+5 BONUS POINTS)

81,460 - IntellivisionMaster [+12](+5 BONUS POINTS)

79,040 - fakecortex [+11](+5 BONUS POINTS)

----------------------------------------------------------

63,950 gar0u [+9](+5 BONUS POINTS)

46,880 - Player One [+8](+4 BONUS POINTS)

45,580 - cmadruga [+7](+4 BONUS POINTS)

30,775 - jimblargh [+6](+3 BONUS POINTS)

27,000 - Lupovax [+5](+2 BONUS POINTS)

24,640 - wolfy62 [+4](+2 BONUS POINTS)

22,230 - Rickster8 [+3](+2 BONUS POINTS)

6,050 - crade [+2]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

(After Stampede)

23 - IntellivisionMaster

17 - Northcoastgamer

16 - IntyFanMatt

14 - JacobZu7zu7

13 - Rickster8

9 - cmadruga

8 - fakecortex

6 - lupovax

5 - wolfy62

4 - jimblargh

2 - crade

1 - gar0u

1 - Player One

Games Won

1 - IntellivisionMaster - Stampede

Sneak Preview:

Pinball - CParsley's choice

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

My First Q*bert Entry: This is one of those Inty games I just NEVER get better at. No matter what I do it's the same old same old scores. Never have an outstanding game. The controls are BAD, REALLY BAD. I have to SMASH the disc sometimes in order to get 'EGBERT' to jump out so I can get away from that COILY thingee!!! ? I also cannot stand the two pink bubble gum guys that come up from the bottom. I cannot EVER anticipate where they are going and therefore I cannot EVER escape them..... ?

My all time PB so far is from the last time we played it here - 17,485 points. ? So I'm going to set a LOW goal of 20,000 points and a HIGH goal of 30,000 points. I better get the LOW goal atleast or I might put my head through the TV... :P 

Q*BERT - DEFAULT LEVEL - 15,400 POINTS!!! - NOTE: I WILL MOST LIKELY POST MORE THAN 3 ENTRIES FOR THIS GAME IN A BIG EFFORT TO GET BETTER!!! ?‍♂️?‍♂️?

Edit - Updated pic with a little bit better score. 

QBERT(15400)HSC17.jpg.4f380b6c94e34734478cf86b4a4d3032.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Updated with a better score
  • Like 5

Ooh yeah, qbert on intellivision! I’m sure I’ve commented on how much I like this version and how it’s one of the games that makes me glad to have the stickler. According to the ol’ high score binder, my pb is 45,155 on level 3-3 back on 4/8/21. So I have my goal set pretty high for me. For now, here’s something to get me on the board as I remember how to qbert.

@!#?@ - 16,305 L2 R2

F792B7BC-2D0A-4067-B664-2FC20FD5A076.thumb.jpeg.9a91bcf3e77ec918e6ff9796a1825b81.jpeg

• Like 5

So I can always get to the fifth or sixth screen without much effort on Intellivision ][ hardware and original cartridge.

My RetroPi setup is using jzintv, with a serial to USB controller, and an Intellivsion Flashback controller.  The control was so poor--I'm questioning my RetroPi setup.  Anyone that's built or has one (the Ultimate Flashback) that is willing to compare hardware and configurations?

I know it's a poor man that blames his tools, but in my case, I built my tools.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gar0u said:

So I can always get to the fifth or sixth screen without much effort on Intellivision ][ hardware and original cartridge.

My RetroPi setup is using jzintv, with a serial to USB controller, and an Intellivsion Flashback controller.  The control was so poor--I'm questioning my RetroPi setup.  Anyone that's built or has one (the Ultimate Flashback) that is willing to compare hardware and configurations?

I know it's a poor man that blames his tools, but in my case, I built my tools.  ?

I have a few Ultimate Flashbacks, but I am techie dummy so not sure how much help I’d be..... ?

Edited by Rickster8
Correction

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

I have a few Ultimate Flashbacks, but I am techie dummy so not sure how much help I’d be..... ?

You've gotten some excellent scores using emulation.  Using the same TV, have you noticed any difference with input response between emulation and real hardware?

10 hours ago, gar0u said:

I doubt there's an issue with the usb adapter, which one are you using?  I don't have a Raspberry Pi, but I seem to score better on real hardware over emulation.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

You've gotten some excellent scores using emulation.  Using the same TV, have you noticed any difference with input response between emulation and real hardware?

I doubt there's an issue with the usb adapter, which one are you using?  I don't have a Raspberry Pi, but I seem to score better on real hardware over emulation.

Actually now that you mention it, my upstairs TV using emulation, occasionally it will black out for like 3 seconds sporadically. It's the weirdest thing. It doesn't happen when using my 2609 (or my Inty System II) and it doesn't happen with my downstairs TV using emulation or the 2609 (or my Inty System II). It only happens on my upstairs TV (VIZIO) when using my jzintv emulator..... Some colors are different as well, but the only problem I've noticed is the occasional TV blackout, then the screen comes back on. The game doesn't get halted, it continues even though the screen went blank for a few seconds. This is all I have noticed though..... 

My Sad Q*bert Update: The struggle is VERY REAL my Inty friends.... I simple CANNOT get anything going here. This game obviously requires a TON of PATIENCE which is something I am NOT known for.... :P 

I will keep trying, but at this stage I have no problem saying my High goal of 30k isn't happening. I will be LUCKY to get the low goal of 20k..... ?

HECK AT THIS STAGE I'D SETTLE FOR A 'PB'...... ?

Q*BERT - DEFAULT LEVEL - 16,600 POINTS!!! 

QBERT(16600)HSC17.jpg.3c6d8bd8bb2d3f5dae2c2f236b46c733.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.
  • Like 5

Most Likely My FINAL EGBERT Update: LOW PERSONAL GOAL OF 20,000 PTS ACHIEVED!!! ??

Just had my 'best' game ever and I'm DONE!!! BRING ON PINBALL!!! :P?:P

Q*BERT - DEFAULT LEVEL - L2/R3 - 22,230 POINTS!!! 

QBERT(22230)HSC17.jpg.7afd025dd6b423896a3fcb8e31c90d08.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.
  • Like 5

Quick Q*bert Update: (Up to post #23)

48,295 - Northcoastgamer (+4 BONUS POINTS)

38,425 - Player One (+3 BONUS POINTS)

35,660 - cmadruga (+3 BONUS POINTS)

34,095 - fakecortex (+3 BONUS POINTS)

27,000 - Lupovax (+2 BONUS POINTS)

24,640 - wolfy62 (+2 BONUS POINTS)

22,230 - Rickster8 (+2 BONUS POINTS)

17,045 - jimblargh (+1 BONUS POINT)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2