IGNORED

Midi Music System sync pulses to PO33.

k-Pack

Did you know that the MIDI Music System software outputs sync pulses, at a rate of 24 / quarter note, using joystick port 2 - pin 3?   I read that in the manual back in 1986, and 36 years later I've managed to sync a PO33 drum sequence while sending MIDI data to a Midiplus miniEngine.  I can't wait to try syncing the Atari8 to the Korg NTS1.

It works by sending the 24 pulses/quarter note to an Arduino and then having the Arduino trigger the sequencer on the PO33. The pictures show the setup in no great detail.

The audio file is a recording of the MMS file used while trouble shooting the sync interface.  It was recorded on a single track.  The outputs from the PO33 and midiEngine were wired to the mixer.  It's just a short test. po33 - mms sync.mp3 

Still some problems that need to be solved, but if the pulses and MIDI signal are synced at the start, they stay synced to the end of the music.  I'm starting to think that using the ESC key to exit during playback is causing the problem. (?) 

135116440_IMG_0094(2).thumb.JPG.962638abfc2305d01cccff65f673e471.JPG

984595237_IMG_0096(2).thumb.JPG.a47e34dfc029e568ac06a930089d7bc9.JPG

I have a few more things to consider before blogging the details.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
23 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Oh wow, that is a pretty cool idea!

I have 2 Pocket Operators in my drawer that have not been used for years, now I know they could be useful sometime again with this kind of setup involving an Atari.

It would be something to hear a Pocket Operator sync'ed to some of your music.  It would also be great if you could control the pulses in the Atari then you wouldn't need the Arduino.  My problem was that I had to take the pulse form the MIDI Music Software in whatever form they were in (24 pulses/quater note). 

This blog entry used a MIDI timing Clock to sync the NTS-1 arpeggiator with the Atari.  I've been thinking about sending the MIDI timing clock command to an Arduino with a MIDI shield and then pulse the PO with a digital pin. Some day.

• Thanks 1

From what I understand, it's about the timing of signals being sent, and the sequence data being received at the same time?

Not very familiar with MIDI stuff still, but it doesn't look very complicated either, which is indeed pretty cool I think :P 

10 hours ago, VinsCool said:

From what I understand, it's about the timing of signals being sent, and the sequence data being received at the same time?

Not very familiar with MIDI stuff still, but it doesn't look very complicated either, which is indeed pretty cool I think :P 

I just remembered that using the SIO port limits the ability to make music from pokey.  Another option, besides the joystick port, would be to use the Cassette Motor control pin on the SIO port to output the timing signal to the Arduino. 

• Like 1

Joystick port sounds like a good idea, since as far as I know, I was able to use the pots and triggers from PORTA without any conflict, and also managed to get a simple timer using pots that had helped me count scanlines with good precision, and could not notice any side effect on the actual POKEY audio playing at the same time.

For the timer part I don't remember exactly how I had set it up before, but it was not very complex from what I recall.

1 hour ago, ivop said:

MIDI Mate uses the SIO Proceed line for sync pulses (or the joystick port).

I was thinking the SIO Proceed line has more to do with the timing of the data being passed from the Atari to the MIDI Mate.

The MIDI Timing Clock is the byte "$F8".  The MIDI MUSIC SYSTEM sends a $F8 to the MIDI Mate and the MIDI Mate passes the $F8 to the MIDI out port 24 times per quarter note.  The frequency is controlled by changing the TEMPO in the MMS software. I have seen the $F8 being sent while monitoring the MIDI output line and they scroll by very fast.

The MMS automatically sets the joystick pin and sends the MIDI Clock at 24 pulses/quarter note at the same time.  The Pocket Operators are not MIDI compatible but will accept digital pulses for synchronization.  While the Korg microKorg and Korg NTS-1 can be synchronized with the MIDI Clock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

Joystick port sounds like a good idea, since as far as I know, I was able to use the pots and triggers from PORTA without any conflict, and also managed to get a simple timer using pots that had helped me count scanlines with good precision, and could not notice any side effect on the actual POKEY audio playing at the same time.

For the timer part I don't remember exactly how I had set it up before, but it was not very complex from what I recall.

when you start looking for information, Atari DeRe has some examples.  Just be aware that I had to make some modifications to the software to get them to work.

That's almost 5 years ago, so I don't remember much.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, k-Pack said:

I was thinking the SIO Proceed line has more to do with the timing of the data being passed from the Atari to the MIDI Mate.

No, the SIO Proceed and Interrupt lines are not used to send MIDI data, but they send and receive sync pulses. Proceed for sending sync, interrupt for receiving sync. There are two big 6.3mm jacks on the device. Alternatively, you can send a TTL, Roland Clock or Beat Sync on joystick port #1.

See chapter 5 of the MIDI Track III manual:

https://archive.org/details/MidiTrackIIIManual/page/n35/mode/2up

Note that my MIDI Muse and mytek's SIO2MIDI2 does not implement sync triggers. We were thinking nobody would use them, but apparently we were wrong ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ivop said:

No, the SIO Proceed and Interrupt lines are not used to send MIDI data, but they send and receive sync pulses. Proceed for sending sync, interrupt for receiving sync. There are two big 6.3mm jacks on the device. Alternatively, you can send a TTL, Roland Clock or Beat Sync on joystick port #1.

See chapter 5 of the MIDI Track III manual:

https://archive.org/details/MidiTrackIIIManual/page/n35/mode/2up

Note that my MIDI Muse and mytek's SIO2MIDI2 does not implement sync triggers. We were thinking nobody would use them, but apparently we were wrong ;)

Thanks... Just finished skimming chapter 5 in the MIDI Track manual.  I will be reading it a couple more times before it sinks in.

So, what I am hearing is that the MIDIMax gets a pulse from the Atari and then sends the byte $F8 to the MIDI out.  

Please don't spend a lot of time implementing the sync triggers just for me, at least until my MIDIMAX explodes. 

Edited by k-Pack
saved to soon