IGNORED

Question on Iron Solider 2 Original Release

Jagosaurus

Back when IS2 was originally released (looks like between '96 & '98 JTS/Hasbro limbo timeframe) & sold on EB shelves, was it a simultaneous dual release on cart & CD? ... or did one version come later?

Just curious ... if so, interesting it's the only official retail example of this (know more post life titles did this later).

Pic saved from an old Mad Man response:

post-3404-0-42537100-1420684505.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

It wasn't a simultaneous release but Hover Strike was available on cart and on CD during the life of the Jaguar. I'm not sure if Iron Soldier 2 was available in cart format on store shelves.

Thanks for clarification. Does any1 know the history on when then IS2 cart was released?

Then, is it only missing the cut scenes? Only compromise?

I always forget about HS-CD, think more of it as a Pseudo sequel. Good point ?

8 hours ago, Jagosaurus said:

Back when IS2 was originally released (looks like between '96 & '98 JTS/Hasbro limbo timeframe) & sold on EB shelves, was it a simultaneous dual release on cart & CD? ... or did one version come later?

Just curious ... if so, interesting it's the only official retail example of this (know more post life titles did this later).

Pic saved from an old Mad Man response:

post-3404-0-42537100-1420684505.jpg

You might be able to figure out the answer by downloading and searching jaguar explorer online issues from this site:

http://www.atarihq.com/jeo/archive.htm

9 hours ago, Jagosaurus said:

Thanks for clarification. Does any1 know the history on when then IS2 cart was released?

Then, is it only missing the cut scenes? Only compromise?

I always forget about HS-CD, think more of it as a Pseudo sequel. Good point ?

I don't know the time when the cart was released, but it was marketed as a limited edition and the cart had a very simple silver coloured lable.

The game is missing the cutscenes and the in game music.

• Thanks 1

Going by memory here, but I thought Jaguar CD version of Iron Soldier 2 released first and the cart version was released later. 

I remember Telegames released the Jaguar games two at a time. 

The first two, Towers II and and Iron Soldier 2(CD) were in late 1996.  World Tour Racing and Zero 5 in 1997 and finally Breakout 2000 and Worms in 1998.

Then sometime after that is when Telegames released the cart version of Iron Soldier 2.

Again, going by memory, so I could be off. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I remember the Telegames being a staggered release. I can't remember the exact order, But I recall being excited for Iron Soldier 2 as I was a big fan of the first game. Plus I felt the Jag CD was still lacking that must-have, AAA game. Iron Soldier 2 is probably the closest thing to that.... Maybe BattleMorph.

It was very exciting times also with the IS2 CD release. They had issues with the encryption and Eclipse did the first run themselves with burned CD ROMs with a yellow inkjet lable. I got my IS2 in two shipments, one was still unfolded box and the manual and the second was a jewel case with the game. It was a wait well worth it. :D

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 11:35 PM, jguff said:

You might be able to figure out the answer by downloading and searching jaguar explorer online issues from this site:

http://www.atarihq.com/jeo/archive.htm

These have schedules for release dates.

jeo_0101
jeo_0103

Downloadable from the link previously posted.

JEO was best source of information in mid to late 90s.

Edited by jguff

On 7/31/2022 at 8:02 PM, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Going by memory here, but I thought Jaguar CD version of Iron Soldier 2 released first and the cart version was released later. 

I remember Telegames released the Jaguar games two at a time. 

The first two, Towers II and and Iron Soldier 2(CD) were in late 1996.  World Tour Racing and Zero 5 in 1997 and finally Breakout 2000 and Worms in 1998.

Then sometime after that is when Telegames released the cart version of Iron Soldier 2.

Again, going by memory, so I could be off. 

I have the same memory of the CD version coming out first and specifically being disappointed because I couldn't play the game as I didn't have a CD player at the time.  Since the cartridge is a paired down version of the CD missing assets like FMV, that's further evidence that the CD came out first.

@tripled79 the staggering dates makes sense. As I understand it, part of JTS/Atari "merger" was that JTS agreed to continued support of the Jag for a couple years. Looks like that fell primarily to Telegames releases.

@PeterG nice tid bit I've never heard. Did they arrive fairly close or did they want to send buyers something while they finalized encryption troubleshooting & discs print?

Thanks for the JEO volume heads up @jguff. Will DL those zip files & read.

Edit: typos 

Edited by Jagosaurus

1 hour ago, Jagosaurus said:

@tripled79 the staggering dates makes sense. As I understand it, part of JTS/Atari "merger" was that JTS agreed to continued support of the Jag for a couple years. Looks like that fell primarily to Telegames releases.

@PeterG nice tid bit I've never heard. Did they arrive fairly close or did they want to send buyers something while they finalized encryption troubleshooting & discs print?

The box and the game came relativity close to each other, I think it was intended as a "service" by the shop I ordered it from in Berlin so we would not have to wait any longer or maybe a combination that just made their life easier since they might have gotten the boxes and manuals from Telegames and the CDs from Eclipse, didn't have to assemble the box and I already had another order going so they put it in there... No clue.:)

It would be interesting to know how many burned IS2 discs are out there and when Telegames finally was able to press the CDs but the only people to know are probably Telegames.

The CD version was definitely first though. Will check at home, I think I have a magazine with an announcement for the cart version...

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:38 AM, Jagosaurus said:

Ha! "Support" The very idea that JTS supported the Jaguar is amusing to me. It was the dark ages. There's probably more support from Dark Knight Games than JTS ever did...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, tripled79 said:

Ha! "Support" The very idea that JTS supported the Jaguar is amusing to me. It was the dark ages. There's probably more support from Dark Knight Games than JTS ever did...

Support was only their to keep stockholders happy and not slow down reverse merger with JTS, If Atari hadn't canceled Support for all non jaguar a year earlier, Support for the mildly successful atari lynx would of been better way to go.  Atari on these last games basically had paid all development and most distribution just to stay in business long enough to sell to Hasbro. It is impressive Jack convinced Sega that they were a stable company long enough to settle lawsuit out of court, and force sega to buy worthless Atari stock so Jack could sell off the company.

I bought IS2 from Telegames... specifically, from GO ATARI back in the late 90s... when it was made available. I want to say I purchased the cartridge version first, which had the simple label (though centered on mine), like the image above. I never bought the new one that had the better image. It had to have been around 1998, but I know it was already available by that point.