IGNORED

Hell's Halls - 16K TI BASIC Game - Completion and Physical Release

pixelpedant

2 hours ago, oddemann said:

I was thinking that it would be MUCH more time, until I got it... 15 days!!! Canada - Norway! The info about snail-mail said something like 30 to 60 days.
HH.png
Thx!!!

Nice!  Yeah, only a couple people selected International Surface shipping (i.e., standard bulk mail to a country other than Canada or the United States), and I was concerned those were going to take forever.  So I'm glad that at least in this case, that wasn't so!

And it's only fair that yours should have been quick, since you were literally order #1.  The very first order for the game! :)

• Like 5

Having now had a chance to play this game (both versions) and only in TI BASIC, I have to say it is a very impressive and engaging game.  Definitely a game to come back to again and again.  What you've managed to achieve with TI BASIC is really quite something.  

• Like 1

I received my copy in the mail today too! 

I was all excited to hookup my TI and play a great game only to be disappointed by my retro hobby.  Apparently 40 year old hardware is not always reliable.... :)

Perhaps I should look into using an emulator instead of old hardware when I need to get my retro computing fix.

I have some video issue where the boot screens look fine and basic loads, but no characters appear on the screen as I type.  The cursor moves but it is like cyan text on a cyan background.  I can't see it!

I will now need to investigate if it is an issue with the recently installed F18A or something else.  All part of the fun, I suppose....

19 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

How odd.  Does "TI BASIC READY" appear on TI BASIC start?  And the > and cursor characters?  Or are those invisible too? 

Thank you for trying to help me out.  I don't want to hijack your thread about this awesome game....

When basic loads I just a have a blinking block cursor.  Everything else is "invisible". 

I have also been having other seemingly random strange behavior with it tonight. 

I will need to start a separate thread to get some help diagnosing the issues.

• Like 1

I left my TI turned off for 30 minutes, came back and it is now working normally.....I just loaded the disk image from the TIPI and played a few rounds...

I love the music and the atmosphere you have created for this game.    One question.  Is it possible to defeat the bats when they corner me in a door?  They have killed me several times and I can't seem to defeat them.  Nevermind the silly question.  I figured it out with a bit more trial and error. 

Edited by broettger

A fantastic job, sir! I salute you. If Hell's Halls had been in the BASIC contest years ago, you'd have won, hands down!

Sadly my game crashed with MEMORY FULL a bit ago, after I reached the 3rd level. I was playing in emulation; I guess loading the BIN file doesn't perform a call FILES(1) operation. *sigh*

3 hours ago, adamantyr said:

A fantastic job, sir! I salute you. If Hell's Halls had been in the BASIC contest years ago, you'd have won, hands down!

Sadly my game crashed with MEMORY FULL a bit ago, after I reached the 3rd level. I was playing in emulation; I guess loading the BIN file doesn't perform a call FILES(1) operation. *sigh*

My SSS in .bin format was using a CALL FILES(0). The updated version was not able to run with only CALL FILES(1) in Classic99.

• Like 2

Too bad, if the loader approach doesn't work in this case.  I'm curious where an additional memory cost is introduced viavaa the use of a loader in this manner, and how much is introduced.  As certainly, the updated version runs via disk or cassette with CALL FILES(1) without MEMORY FULL errors, through much testing. 

Well, in any case, cassette is the target medium here, with support for use via disk with CALL FILES(1) being a concession to convenience I hoped to preserve.  So I'm fine with those being the only reliable means of use, if that they are. 

Toward that end, the TIFILES version of the main game on Side A is available here: https://pixelpedant.com/hh/HALLS-MAIN

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

In the last week I received copy of Hell's Halls. I waited for the cassette to arrive and use it to load up the game for the very first time. I ordered the Heel Red cassette to add to the atmosphere 🙂 It loaded on the very first try! Not bad for a 40 year computer and TI cassette player 🙂

I was killed about 15 minutes into my first game and was smiling the whole time. Thanks @pixelpedant for a good, fun, and entertaining game!

I encourage everyone to give the game a try and if possible support the effort in some way. It's nice to see people's effort and dedication come to flurition and be rewarded.

It's halloween so it's the perfect day for a game. Good luck to all you willing to try to escape HELL'S HALLS!

Mark

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 6:27 PM, pixelpedant said:

As ArcadeShopper has mentioned in his store thread, plenty of copies are now available in his store, should anyone want to order them in the future:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Pixelpedant-Software/c/143941511

Which should be a lot better for US folks, in the long run. 

image.png.c620e1a2482fb8a1bf74e144913a016d.png

FINALLY just got to order my copy! Can't Wait!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pixelpedant said:

I can only say I'm delighted that folks are still discovering it :)

Provides me a motivation to keep working hard on the sequel, which hopefully I'll have ready some time later this year:

image.thumb.png.0b1f341f516ddfe67a74a960a78980e9.png

And the final in the trilogy - Hells Yeah!  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 6