IGNORED

AtariAge Forum Upgrade / Migration on Tuesday, August 9th

Albert

11 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm sure it will go smoothly.  There are always hiccups of course but the last few updates have gone off more or less without a hitch.  I'm hoping this update will fix the dark theme issue where text sometimes turns invisible.

This update is somewhat unique in that I am not in full control of the update and/or migration process.  I have moved the entirety of AtariAge to a new server several times in the past, and it's always quite the ordeal.  To pull it off smoothly requires a great deal of planning, preparation, and testing in advance.  The target server has to be setup such that everything you're moving over will run in that environment, things like PHP, Apache, MySQL, PHP extensions, Apache modules, Redis (caching system), Elasticsearch server, etc., and there are often version requirements as well (for instance, the forum requires a minimum version of PHP and MySQL in order for it to work).  The store and forum both use PHP and MySQL, but have their own unique requirements. 

This time only the forum is moving, and I'm not doing the actual work.  Of course, I'm sure Invision has done tons of these migrations in the past with forums of all different sizes, so I don't really expect any significant issues.  The good thing is that if it goes horribly awry, I can just put the forum back up where it is right now, and we can then make a plan to address any issues and then schedule a new migration.  I will need to do some work once the migration is complete (installing and testing all the third-party plugins and applications, as well as general testing to make sure nothing is obviously broken), but that's very minimal compared to what I would normally have to do. 

..Al

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m sad to lose the status updates but I also understand how much hassle it must be to keep people on the straight and narrow.

It's possible they can come back in some form, but I'd like more tools to make them easier to manage.

..Al

• Like 1

Just an update to my initial post, looks like I will need to take the forum down late Monday evening so that I can perform a full backup of the forum files as well as the database.  After that point, the forum must remain offline until the update and migration has completed.  The work will actually begin in the middle of the night US time, and with any luck I'll be able to get the forum back online earlier in the day.  This will result in less downtime for US visitors.

..Al

• Like 2

Just now, Tempest said:

True.  I don't know if having a 3rd party do the migration is a blessing or a curse.  Invision is huge though, so I'm assuming they have competent people.  Hopefully... :)

I wouldn't call them "huge", but they are one of only a handful of major forum players at this point, XenForo, vBulletin, and Discourse being three of the other larger players.  But given this is their software, they should be able to handle migrations like this without issue.  I hope.  :D

..Al

3 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Neither do I, so you can do what I plan to do... Just repeatedly click on the refresh button until the site works again 

:pcguru:

Thanks, i could check isitdownrightnow

URL Checked - atariage.com
Response Time - 22.4 ms.
Last Down - More than a week ago
Atariage.com is UP and reachable by us.
Please check and report on local outages below ...

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

• Haha 1

Forum updates and migrations have always been an interesting time over the years here on AA. Even if not everything works smoothly in the immediate aftermath, Albert always gets it running perfectly, and in a timely manner. Just saying this as a reminder ahead of the inevitable complaints that are sure to crop up when some user finds that something doesn't work the exact way they want it to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What the hell am I supposed to do Monday night and Tuesday?  I guess I can set up a Facebook account and see what the hype is all about.  Or, this might be my opportunity to set up my OnlyFans page.

Are sub-domains (like ti99.atariage.com) still going to work?

Achievements: ugh...

There’s a lot of information to absorb here, but if there’s anything to take away from this blog post it’s this: empower your contributing members with Achievements and watch your community grow. It creates an immersive and elevated experience for your die-hards. And hey, who doesn’t love to earn?

Me.  I do not "love to earn."  While I do miss the old AtariAge pips, I care nothing for badges and honors; and wtf is an "immersive" experience in a web forum?  I never liked the "elite" status level shit on BBSes, either.  My post count, up/down ratio, &c. was and still is enough for me.  Maybe Invision will implement them differently than other forum systems where you get a special private message every other day for some stupid "achievement."

HEY!  You made a post! +25 points

HEY!  Someone liked your post! +50 points

HEY!  You sent a private message! +10 points

HEY!  You logged in! +15 points

HEY!  You changed your theme! +20 points

The amount of notifications I get now is just fine, so if these are coming then hopefully I can turn them, or at least the notifications, off for myself.

Otherwise, same stuff as usual @Albert: I appreciate the hard work you do; I appreciate and subscribe to the forums; I appreciate how active you are; good luck with the migration, and try not to screw it all up. ;)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Well all I know is I'm gonna be bored on Monday night/Tuesday next week. Good luck with the upgrade!

46 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

What the hell am I supposed to do Monday night and Tuesday?  I guess I can set up a Facebook account and see what the hype is all about.  Or, this might be my opportunity to set up my OnlyFans page.

This would be a good time for ZPH to have an absolutely massive marathon to keep us entertained.

And uh... maybe do some fundraising for a good cause, too. Sure. We'll go with that. Not being entirely selfish. :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Are sub-domains (like ti99.atariage.com) still going to work?

Yes, I will update these to point to the correct location.

Me.  I do not "love to earn."  While I do miss the old AtariAge pips, I care nothing for badges and honors; and wtf is an "immersive" experience in a web forum?  I never liked the "elite" status level shit on BBSes, either.  My post count, up/down ratio, &c. was and still is enough for me.  Maybe Invision will implement them differently than other forum systems where you get a special private message every other day for some stupid "achievement."

We'll see how that goes.  The achievements can be completely customized, although there are a bunch of "stock" ones built in (and you can, of course, edit and/or remove any of those).  It could be fun, it could be annoying, I don't know yet.  Obviously I don't want people to post just for the sake of getting some badge.  In the same way I don't want people to post just to inflate their post count.

The amount of notifications I get now is just fine, so if these are coming then hopefully I can turn them, or at least the notifications, off for myself.

Yes, you will have complete control over notifications as you do now, and I believe they've added even more control over them versus the current version of the software (probably they've added more types of notifications as well).

Otherwise, same stuff as usual @Albert: I appreciate the hard work you do; I appreciate and subscribe to the forums; I appreciate how active you are; good luck with the migration, and try not to screw it all up. ;)

LOL, thank you.  :)

..Al

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Al - is the mobile theme going to be fixed in the new version?

Meaning you can delete the emojis and delete the quote boxes, etc?

I hope so, the post editor is a third-party application that Invision has licensed called CKEditor.  I'm hoping the latest version fixes some of the quirks that exist on the version we're using here (such as being able to delete quote boxes).  I haven't spent much time playing with it on the latest version of the forum, though, but I'll get plenty of experience with it soon enough!  :D

..Al

• Like 1