IGNORED

AtariAge Forum Upgrade / Migration on Tuesday, August 9th

Albert

Just now, Mathy said:

"Middle of the night" in the US would be during the morning and afternoon in Europe I guess.  That's when a lot of us overhere are working.  Damn, now I have to think of something else to do at work... :-D

Yep, unfortunately no matter when the upgrade/migration takes place, it's going to be offline for a lot of people who are awake.  :)

I'm hoping the process will go relatively quickly, but realistically I expect it to take most of Tuesday!

..Al

5 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

I'm guessing that someone out there will fail to read the memo about it going offline and complaining about it on other social media.  It never fails.

There will be a message that the forum is temporarily down, with relevant links to social media, and I'll also update that page periodically with updates.  So anybody visiting the forum will see that, and that's all they'll be able to see on the forum until the migration is complete and the forum comes online at its new home.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm kind of getting a pang of bad conscience now. I am co-administering three websites of which two forums (one active, one dormant). Our host simply decided to drop all VPS customers last fall, so I had to find another provider and planned to do the move at the end of October 2021. Work has commenced, but I'm not nearly halfway done yet so all three sites have been down ever since.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thanatos said:

My company went from selling on-premise software, to hosting on owned hardware in a local datacenter, and then after that we moved everything to AWS.

I certainly don't miss managing all the physical hardware!

Our move to AWS has been the best thing we ever did.  Auto-scaling, backup servers on both coasts, etc.  Lot of stuff to learn but it's been worth it.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 1:12 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've actually scheduled that for 2026 in celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the retail release of the 7800! No... seriously... I just added it to the list the other day. ?

What I'll be doing during the AtariAge Forum transition is a run to regain my title for the world record on Wall Jump Ninja, wish me luck!!!

- James

How about every Atari 8-bit computer game ever made, including not just the cartridge games, but also the titles on cassette and floppy disk? :cool: :ponder:

3 hours ago, thanatos said:

My company went from selling on-premise software, to hosting on owned hardware in a local datacenter, and then after that we moved everything to AWS.

I certainly don't miss managing all the physical hardware!

I can't really blame you on the part about not wanting to deal with fully physical hardware management day in and day out. However, nothing says it has to either completely one way or the other! Cloud-based technology, along with e-books, come with their own set of drawbacks. Why not a 50-50 split between both, or maybe alternatively, 75% physical/25% cloud-based? 

1 hour ago, Prosystemsearch said:

How about every Atari 8-bit computer game ever made, including not just the cartridge games, but also the titles on cassette and floppy disk? :cool: :ponder:

I think the heat death of the universe would come first before I would be able to go through all those games, hahah.

- James

• Haha 2

Migration is never easy. It's a lot of pressure to succeed.  I know You can do it, and the nay sayers can keep ? quiet.

A little design tweak, improved experience and less maintenance work for you server side support is significantly more important than the where's my "who moved my cheese." complaint crowds needs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WhataKowinkydink said:

I've got several tabs open and several bookmarked... will a simple edit of the URL suffice for these topics on the new server?

The old bookmarks should still work after the transition, but, yes, you can simply update the URLs.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Prosystemsearch said:

I can't really blame you on the part about not wanting to deal with fully physical hardware management day in and day out. However, nothing says it has to either completely one way or the other! Cloud-based technology, along with e-books, come with their own set of drawbacks. Why not a 50-50 split between both, or maybe alternatively, 75% physical/25% cloud-based? 

Well that would all depend on the environment, where in our case having things in 2 places would be pointless and not work.

• Like 2

Just now, thanatos said:

Well that would all depend on the environment, where in our case having things in 2 places would be pointless and not work.

Yeah, that's not something I could do, either.  I mean, for a short while the forum will be on its own up in the cloud, but the store will join it later (although with a different company), and I'll do the same with the main site, which has minimal requirements versus the store and forum.  That I might just put in AWS, as I'd like to be able to spool off snapshots for development purposes (as the main site needs a lot of development!)  I have used AWS a fair bit in the past professionally, but as it's been a while I know I'll need to relearn quite a bit.

..Al

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Prosystemsearch said:

LOL ok then. Though, fyi, its not a fully established fact that the universe, if it does for whatever reason, end up in a heat death. Even if something causes an end to the universe, it could end up being more of a Big Freeze instead of a Big Crunch. ?

Wait wait wait, heat death IS the Big Freeze. A Big Crunch (or, for that matter, a Big Rip) do not seem possible given the observed parameters of the universe. However false vacuum collapse is a very real and painful possibility…