IGNORED

Combat AI

Prizrak

41 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

https://github.com/nickbild/combat

Could someone build this? Would love to play it and put it up on the PlusStore.

have seen it in this thread too:

looks like the source code is not include only instructions to put it together yourself. I'll see what I can do tomorrow

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Prizrak said:

https://github.com/nickbild/combat

Could someone build this? Would love to play it and put it up on the PlusStore.

@Prizrak Not sure if everything is correct. AI opponent moves and shoots (mostly in my direction), only tested with goopher2600

Combat-AI-hack.asm.bin

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

AI? Come on know... It only tracks you and shoots at you.

As opposed to what a human player would do? :)

Come on now, admit it. How many of us got COMBAT with our 2600's and had a sibling or parent who lost interest after 10 minutes and we were stuck practicing bank shots? I for one am glad to see rewrites and hacks like this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

As opposed to what a human player would do? :)

Come on now, admit it. How many of us got COMBAT with our 2600's and had a sibling or parent who lost interest after 10 minutes and we were stuck practicing bank shots? I for one am glad to see rewrites and hacks like this. 

I'm certainly not belittling the hack, and it's clever. I don't know the official definition of AI, but I am thinking this thing is not learning how to beat me a little more each time I play until it becomes sentient. This is just a tracking algorithm. :)

4 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

I'm certainly not belittling the hack, and it's clever. I don't know the official definition of AI, but I am thinking this thing is not learning how to beat me a little more each time I play until it becomes sentient. This is just a tracking algorithm. :)

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Well you know.. big business has got everyone thinking AI is the end all be all. AI biggest buzzword yet.

"AI" is still bullshit but machine learning is very much a real thing, and very much a hugely powerful tool - I work with specialized ML systems every day and have for the better part of a decade now. The ones today are an order of magnitude better than the ones when I started my current line of work, and the pace of improvement is increasing.

That said, even acknowledging that true AI doesn't yet exist, fitting any kind of ML scheme into a 4K Atari 2600 game isn't realistic. In fact, running a real generalized ML system with real power still requires a scalable cloud-based architecture for optimal results for any kind of abstract task. Even really specialized ones like "teaching" your smartphone to only unlock when you look at it takes the power of a modern multicore, multi-GHz processor like the one in that phone. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, R.Cade said:

In gaming, "AI" has long referred to whatever algorithm a game has for computer-controlled elements.

• Like 5

I liked it better when we called it "the computer". Also, I am not interested in a high quality Combat computer opponent. When the computer scores its first hit in ricochet tanks, it will often mark the end of the game; new missiles will arrive as the user's tank stops spinning from the last hit until the game ends. In the planes, the computer will hide in the underscan in the four corners of the screen and use screen wrapping to confuse the human. I can use both strategies to great effect, but the computer could do it almost perfectly. It wouldn't be much fun. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 4:43 PM, R.Cade said:

Tracking Algorithms can be quite impressive, considering the limited amount of RAM available. I always thought the AI in Archon was decent, although it was possible to bait the computer into getting shot after discovering its algorithm. (Although that is the case with any computer AI).

http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Archon/combatArena.php5

• Like 1