IGNORED

HSC Summer 2022 - Round 5 Poll

BydoEmpire

Since I'm now the proud owner of all US released Light Phaser games (:D), I'd love to play some here. But since that will likely limit participation, that might be better as a bonus (like before). I have been loving Missile Defense 3-D (yeah, phaser & 3d glasses flex :lol:), but any would be fun. Although Rambo III kicks my ass, lol.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Since I'm now the proud owner of all US released Light Phaser games (:D), I'd love to play some here. But since that will likely limit participation, that might be better as a bonus (like before). I have been loving Missile Defense 3-D (yeah, phaser & 3d glasses flex :lol:), but any would be fun. Although Rambo III kicks my ass, lol.

I could go with Light Phaser and 3-D stuff. I've got both as well. I do like Rambo III, but if we are going to go with a 3D game, I would like Zaxxon 3D

For a standard game I would like to see Rambo first blood part II or Ghost House.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pboland said:

I could go with Light Phaser and 3-D stuff. I've got both as well. I do like Rambo III, but if we are going to go with a 3D game, I would like Zaxxon 3D

For a standard game I would like to see Rambo first blood part II or Ghost House.

I love Ghost House, I'm planning to do that in October.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Missile Defense 3-D or Blade Eagle 3-D. Missile Defense 3-D or Blade Eagle 3-D.  I am going to go with Blade Eagle 3-D.  The reason being that on the north pole stage of Missile Defense 3-D I have a dead spot I just cannot hit.  It is the one spot on that screen that the missiles are more likely to attack you than to continue on.  Anytime one turns up and attacks there is nothing I can do about it.  Sometimes I will have three in one round do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, BydoEmpire said:

Suggest one game in the thread and I'll pick one for Round 5 based on the whims of my imagination.  It's up to you!  Bonus round TBD.

Current Options

Blade Eagle 3-D

Zaxxon 3-D

Missile Defense 3-D

Rambo II

If you mean 1 from that list -- Rambo II

If you mean just pick any one from the library -- I'd like to see Alex Kidd in Miracle World.  It's short, not too difficult, and lends itself well to trying to maximize points in a complete run. 

5 hours ago, Asaki said:

Bank Panic

I'll never heard of Bank Panic. Looking it up, it appears it wasn't released in the USA, but everywhere else. I'll try anything once. :)

The issue I have with the SMS games library is my knowledge base of them is only from 86-89 (USA titles). After that I got Genesis. I do have a SD cart that I can play any title for the console, but I only played the 86-89 titles back in the day.

28 minutes ago, pboland said:

The issue I have with the SMS games library is my knowledge base of them is only from 86-89 (USA titles). After that I got Genesis. I do have a SD cart that I can play any title for the console, but I only played the 86-89 titles back in the day.

You're probably not alone there for US players. And based off what I've read, lots of later PAL games were released in the US on Game Gear, so maybe we have ended up playing them, haha. Side note, I used to play SMS games on my GG with the Master Gear Converter, which was so cool.

I'm awaiting a Mega Everdrive in the mail, so soon enough I'll be playing all sorts of SMS games on my Genesis! When it comes to 3D games tho, I'll have to collect all those physically.

2 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I'm really curious about Bank Panic. It's not a game I'd heard of before you (or someone else recently) brought it up. I'll add that to a future round.

It's a port of a Sega arcade game. It's not as good as the arcade version, but the gameplay is pretty close.

There's a port for the SG-1000, too. It's just begging for an arcade-accurate version on the Genesis. Or at least a hack that lets you play the SMS version it with a three-button gamepad.

1 hour ago, pboland said:

Looking it up, it appears it wasn't released in the USA, but everywhere else.

Ah, I didn't realize that.

1 hour ago, pboland said:

The issue I have with the SMS games library is my knowledge base of them is only from 86-89 (USA titles). After that I got Genesis.

I live in the US, and had never even heard of the SMS until I stumbled upon it in the late 90s, it was the first console I ever emulated when we got a Windows PC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

If you mean 1 from that list -- Rambo II

If you mean just pick any one from the library -- I'd like to see Alex Kidd in Miracle World.  It's short, not too difficult, and lends itself well to trying to maximize points in a complete run. 

Sorry I wasn't clear, that was a list of games people had already mentioned.  I'll keep Alex Kidd in mind for a future round. A classic for sure!

10 hours ago, Asaki said:

I live in the US, and had never even heard of the SMS until I stumbled upon it in the late 90s, it was the first console I ever emulated when we got a Windows PC.

I too live in the US (Ohio). I live and grew up in roughly the same area of Ohio. Your experience with the SMS seems to be pretty common here on AA. Normally most follow it up with "I had an NES". I always found that odd because I had no trouble back in day finding SMS stuff (Children's Palace or Toy R Us) and saw commercials all the time on TV for it.

I did not have an NES back in the day. Didn't want one. I choose the SMS in 1986. I got to compare side by side at a retailer (at the time) called "Gold Circle". I saw the NES for the first time in late summer (early fall) 1986. Never heard of it until that weekend at my friends house. He got it for his birthday and his dad was into Commodore/Amiga computers and the gaming scene (my friend had a nice C64 setup as well). After seeing the NES for the first time, I was curious what else was out there. Went to Gold Circle one weekend in September and they had on one counter Atari 7800, SMS, and NES. I got to play all three. Didn't like the Atari 7800 because they only had Pole Position II on the display unit. The SMS and NES were set-up with some kind of selection system. Based on the games I played that day I asked my mother for a Sega Master System for Xmas that year.

Keep in mind at this time most of the kids I knew still only had an Atari 2600, Colecovision (or in my case Odyssey2) and we all were just discovering the home video game dry spell was over. I got my Master System that Xmas (and a few games). It wasn't until 87 that most of the kids I knew got a new game console and most did get a NES. I did have one other friend that had a SMS (other than myself) and another the ended up with an Atari 7800 (he wanted a NES).

Sorry if this is off topic, but to be honest there really is no place on AA to generally talk about Sega Master System things. This HSC is the closes thing we've got.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pboland said:

Your experience with the SMS seems to be pretty common here on AA. Normally most follow it up with "I had an NES". I always found that odd because I had no trouble back in day finding SMS stuff (Children's Palace or Toy R Us) and saw commercials all the time on TV for it.

Maybe it was slightly before my time. We had a 2600 before I was born, and it was probably '89 or thereabouts that we got an NES, pretty sure I was five. It was the "Action Set" that came out in 1988.
We had an uncle who owned a Genesis. Another uncle had an Atari 600XL (which is mine, now). That's about all I remember about videogames in the 80s.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

Maybe it was slightly before my time. We had a 2600 before I was born, and it was probably '89 or thereabouts that we got an NES, pretty sure I was five. It was the "Action Set" that came out in 1988.
We had an uncle who owned a Genesis. Another uncle had an Atari 600XL (which is mine, now). That's about all I remember about videogames in the 80s.

Makes sense knowing your age at the time. I was 13 when that story happened. I think the age you are at the time things come out (like video game consoles) can really color the way one sees things.

• Like 1